Ever Bonked?

Vetseun

Respect

Did the Vasbyt 165km road race when I was 14 on my le Turbo Grand Prix a long long time ago ...first "race" I attempted ever ...had no clue whatsoever about what I was doing, went out full blast and came crawling in crying like a little baby close to 7 hours later.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonked at my first provincials ever, Never did a TT in my life, so the 120Km was scheduled for the Saturday and the TT on the Sunday, So on the Saturday they decided to cancel the TT on the Sunday and do it on the Saturday before the 120, So I started my TT and obvious you give it your all, After my TT I was F…t!, We had 4 hours of rest and then we started the 120 km. I managed to stick 30Km, and then started to get tunnel vision and my legs just don’t want to turn, 7km/h is good, 6 o’clock that evening the backup vehicle pulled up behind me and I asked them how many riders are behind me, He told me they I am the last rider, still 50km to go at 7-10km/h???? Well all I can say is that my race ended their, I have bonked twice since,

:clap:

Bonking is like tiling....... "Everybody tiles once in their life".......... Now say the in Afrikaans

There's a difference between hitting the wall (which some call bonking) and bonking, which is complete glycogen depletion.

+1 - only those that have truly bonked understand the dream state that a proper bonk provides - it's like watching someone else pedal your bike - with about 0.6 watts of power. Really is a surreal experience.

I have done 2 or 3 in my life and man the experience is nasty. Climbing off your bike and lying down to die on the bushes seems like the right thing to so. Weird.

Note to everyone - ALWAYS take an emergency gel AND an emergency R50 with you (fold a R50 note up and stuff it in your puncture kit) - it will save your life one day...

Twice i can recall. 1st time was the Argus the year it was so hot, overcompensated with my liquid intake for the heat and ended up overhydrated. 2nd time was Kremertart where i donated blood a few days before, turned out not to be such a good idea and wont repeat that again :(

Training ride a couple of years ago, weekend before Argus... it was not fun sitting shivering next to the road (on a hot day), looking for a bush to crawl under and die.

I still get a grin every time I pass that spot - it's a good reminder of how fragile we are.

I have been bonked lots of times in years back in marathons, canoeing, cycling and ironman! You only get bonked, when you put too hard too early, or not drinking enough, or not eating enough, or going too far....

Learned my lessons.... Bonked makes your minds to go out of focus... Best treatment to get over bonked, stop immediately and eat enough, drink enough and come back slowly.. You will be fine...

Training ride a couple of years ago, weekend before Argus... it was not fun sitting shivering next to the road (on a hot day), looking for a bush to crawl under and die.

I still get a grin every time I pass that spot - it's a good reminder of how fragile we are.

Ahh the memories...

The flashing black spots and the white swirls in your peripheral are my favourite bonking side effects :D

How many times have I seen guys finish a race or a ride, had a bit of a bad day in the saddle, tells everybody "man I bonked today" Always think to myself, Bru you dont know what it is to bonk until you have really felt the big bad bonk.

We had a night ride last night. One of my buddies decided to sow his oats in Brazil for a month over the festive season. Started riding again last night, looked pregnant with his newly grown boep. He did well until about 45 km then started droppng off the back, By 50 km he was dead in the saddle, I rode 7kmph next to him and he couldnt sit on my wheel. Eventually he started getting irritated with the offers for help. The eventual result was that he started pushing his bike, that lasted a while until he couldnt do that anymore, eventual result was that he had to phone home and arrange for somebody to fetch him.

I once rode a MTB race, gravel roads 80km. When I got to the race I realised that I had forgotten by bottles and chow at home. The race officials confirmed that there would be 1 water point on the route.I managed to loan a bottle. Knew I would have to conservative and nurse a bottle to the water point, drink water reload bottle and easy finish the race. Big surprise at 12 km was the water point, refilled my bottle, nothing to eat.

At 70km I hit the wall. It was like switching a light off. I was gone, dead, man down with 10km to go. The slightest incline I had to push my bike (Da Agent dont push no bike!) I have never had to dig so deep in my life before. With 1,5km to go I swear if a bakkie had passed I would have caught a lift to the line, the officials could stick thier medal and luke warm styrofoam cup of powerade up thier bum for all I cared. The last 500m to the line was like hell, I had zero in my legs total shutdown.Was frikken horrible.

Never ever in my life do I want to feel that again, you feel helpless, angry and just plain wasted.

Anybody else got a lekker bonk story to share?

A few years ago on the TransB and at 199km mark ..... one feels completely broken, not a great feeling at all and ended up riding up the little hill swerving like a drunken sailor.

Huge doses of cheap sugar rush eats and drinks with some water brought me back to life not too long after that ... fizzers are great for a sugar boost :)

If Crater Cruise 2010 was another 100m I would have been unconscious with meters to go. One of you mentioned shivering...you know you bonked when you are really cold with gooseflesh in 45 degree sun! And you know you should be drinking and eating but knowing it and doing it are not the same, you just use every ounce of energy to keep that 7km/h granny gear going on the flat. Character building :)

Last year in the transbaviaans I blew just before the climb to badplaas. Started cramping and had to push my bike up the hill. I think that was about halway. Had to ride with cramps and severe nausia for another 7 hours. Was totally f@cked mentally for the rest of the season. Everybody needs to learn a lesson some time, but I would prefer not to have it like this again

Jip. Plenty of replies to come from guys who did the Nissan Van Gaalens in Nov. Worst is that the rest of the day you remain a zombie. Funny that you recaal your pain, normally the next day all is forgotten and excitement for the next race starts.

Ahh the memories...

The flashing black spots and the white swirls in your peripheral are my favourite bonking side effects :D

haha, dont we know those too well :)