gear hunting

jcmeyerSS

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks, the people who are saying 'bent hanger' or 'worn cassette', read his post again - he's got brand new XT for both. How can a brand new hanger be bent - are you saying the LBS bent it during installation? And XT cassettes don't wear out when pushing the bike out of the bike shop to your car.

The suggestion has been said many times already: most likely cable issue. It's also a relatively cheap and simple test to run (i.e. install a new one). I was under the assumption that when you replace sprocket & chain together, besides the middle ring you also need to replace the cable. I'm happy to be corrected though.

Folks, the people who are saying 'bent hanger' or 'worn cassette', read his post again - he's got brand new XT for both. How can a brand new hanger be bent - are you saying the LBS bent it during installation?

XT don't make a hanger.

JC , if you have a Specialized Epic then it could be ghost shifting, make sure your rear housing doesn't pull tight around the bottom bracket area, the entire housing should be long enough to allow a little 'boepens' of around two fingers between the BB and cable.

Tombeej

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

You really made me eat humble pie, you taught me so much.

Thanks for that, never knew it :thumbup:

But I still don't see a hanger in your lecture.

Apologies, I just assumed the hanger and derailleur are one unit.

Still, guy did say it was brand new...

I now retire with tail between legs.

Edited by tombeej

Check the frame too - if it's cracked, you could have movement under torque that will affect the cable tension (depending on whether the crack is in an area that the cables are routed, like in the chain stay).

As long as yuo learn something here!!

We all learn stuff all the ime...

That's why the Hub is so great... :)

I see jcmeyer15 has not replied in a long time. Wonder if the problem has been solved after all the advice.