Iphone4 as MTB GPS

greenbean

mapmyride make a app just for the iphone

i have used imapmyride and it works extremely well. Another app that looks great, is free at the moment is RunKeeper, it works for all outdoor activities.

+1 - been using it for a few months, works brilliantly

Yeah! I also use motion x, you can pre-download map data when connected via wifi to save data costs. Or you can just log the route and download the map data after wards. I use it often when traveling overseas and want to save on roaming data costs.

I also use Cyclemeter on my Iphone. It chows the batteries though. I also find that the Iphone loses the GPS signal quite a bit when the phone is in my cycling shirt

Greenbean, I also use the Iphone 4 and have downloaded the following apps - miCoach (free app) from Adidas and Cyclemeter (US4,99). Both are brilliant. If you go to www.wahoofitness.com you find that they sell an ANT+ connector which comes with a pouch for the ANT and Iphone, bike bracket, HRM and a spare battery for US206 which they are shipping mid January. They also have an arm band holder as an option. Hope this helps. It is their bike 2 option. I am also going to order.

Looks cool this ... nice gadget :drool:

But there are so many apps & stuff to choose from ... maybe we should start a iPhone 4 thread for tracking rides, then we can test & compare

Unfortunately I was clever enough to buy a US iPhone ... so it is still in a box (for about 4 months now :cursing: ) and waiting for the unlock

Which version are you running? 4.2.1?

Jip I think thats the one ... the BB just after the previous unlock

I use BikeMate GPS for the iPhone. I really great app and works well. The only problem is where is mount youe iPhone4

So question?

How do we start a thread that reviews tracking apps for iPhone 4?

We need a format for reviews eg sample screenshots, likes, dont likes, actual results, accuracy, battery consumption, user friendliness, etc

Any software for a Samsung Omnia GT-I8000

Again Endomondo. Works great on BB too. Endomondo is free, but if you want to spend the cash, you can buy a little move functionality with the PRO version.

Greenbean, I also use the Iphone 4 and have downloaded the following apps - miCoach (free app) from Adidas and Cyclemeter (US4,99). Both are brilliant. If you go to www.wahoofitness.com you find that they sell an ANT+ connector which comes with a pouch for the ANT and Iphone, bike bracket, HRM and a spare battery for US206 which they are shipping mid January. They also have an arm band holder as an option. Hope this helps. It is their bike 2 option. I am also going to order.

Hi Dirtracker

Sounds like this is the way to go. Not sure if the spare battery is included in the deal for $206. Seems to be listed as an optional extra.!!!! Have you been able to confirm whether it is in fact part of the deal ???

Cheers Greenbean

Hey guys

You need to go check out Wahoo Fitness they have a great gadget that allows you to track your actual heart rate, cadence, bike speed etc as well as free apps that comes along that will fit most every bodies needs.

They also have a new special bike mount for the Iphone 4 thats create for mounting your iphone on your bike. So do your self a favor and go and have a look and let me know what you think.

• 11 months later...

been using cyclemeter on the iphone for over a year now, its brilliant. have done over 5hours with it running, plus tunes playing and not had an issue. Also, the fact that it can announce your data at preset intervals means you dont really have to mount it to the bike. I carry mine in my shirt pocket.

the wahoo fitness stuff looks great, might get it this year and chuck off the aging polar stuff.

check these bike IPhone gadgets on Chainrxn

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=61041

New I-phone stuff for bikes. Take cycling videos using your iphone, or use it as GPS, heart rate monitor and for cadence with special cycling software from Appstore .

NC-17 iPhone 4 Bike Mount 2012 From

784.35 ZAR

This is above all a functional product, a means to an end. In order to move forward with our stated goal of creating an e-bike tuning system we needed to create a serious bike mount for the dashboard, so we can run all our cool apps while riding.

During the development process we thought about our roots in gravity sports and decided to make something these buddies could also use. Naturally the attachment to the bike gives up some style points for sturdiness but being able to use the camera mode forwards or backwards is awesome and it's easy to fix the phone at almost any angle you want without using any tools. We are really excited to show off this product so you can see what potential lies here.

• Patented system

• 3D adjustment without tools

• Camera mode front- / backwards

• 0°-90° supports landscape mode

• X-Arms clamp force

• Gravity sports proof

• Integrated shock absorber

• Total weight: 137g

• Anodised Colour

• For 25,4mm and 31,8mm handlebars

• Compatible with iPhone 3G, 3Gs, 4

NC-17 Wahoo iPhone Case 2012

The NC-17 range of accessories offers this Wahoo iPhone Case with optional Speed and Cadence sensor

NC-17 designed, developed and manufacture accessories such as the Wahoo iPhone Case which reads data from stride sensors, bike speed and cadence sensors, bike power sensors and heart rate right on your iPhone

Wahoo iPhone Case overview:

• Perfect fit for iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4! - Comes with two custom rubber liners to quickly adapt between phone types.

• Water and shock resistant design, "storm safe".

• Micro USB outlet for charging / data connection

• We opted to keep the size as small as possible by offering an optional piggy back battery. Depending on software, the internal battery can easily last 4 hours. No need to build in a battery and all the extra size and weight that entails for the long weekend ride, just snap on our piggyback battery. You can even keep an extra one or more in your jersey. RAM ready!

• Incorporates slide rail for mounting.

• Comes with compact lightweight mount for road or mountain bike. Options in design for attaching to an arm band or quick removal from spin bikes or treadmills.

• Many apps in development with partners. Our free Fisica Fitness App act as a nice bike or running computer and offers the ability to save and upload or email your data to the service of your choice.

• Partner Apps coming soon will do many more cool things!

• Fisica wirelessly connects your iPhone to your favorite ANT fitness measuring devices. With fisica, your phone, your favorite playlists, the best fitness Apps and real-time activity information are all in the palm of your hand - or on your arm, or mounted on your bike, or in your pocket.

• Add Ant capability to your iPhone. Read data from stride sensors, bike speed and cadence sensors, bike power sensors and heart rate right on your iPhone!

• The Fisica Sensor Case encompasses Fisica Sensor technology along with a water resistant protective barrier for your iPhone.

• The Fisica Sensor Case comes with a mount that will fit easily onto your mountain bike or road bikes handle bars.

• Will not fit iPod touch!

• Includes: 1 Fisica Fitness Sensor Case

• Please be aware that to use the speed-cadence software, you will need to buy an App from the App-Store

NC-17 components are available from Chain Reaction Cycles, the online bicycle store for the amateur to the professional cyclists.

The NC-17 range of accessories offers this Wahoo iPhone Case with optional Speed and Cadence sensor

NC-17 designed, developed and manufacture accessories such as the Wahoo iPhone Case which reads data from stride sensors, bike speed and cadence sensors, bike power sensors and heart rate right on your iPhone

• Please be aware that to use the speed-cadence software, you will need to buy an App from the App-Store

NC-17 components are available from Chain Reaction Cycles, the online bicycle store for the amateur to the professional cyclist

NC-17 iPhone Hub charger 2012

NC-17 Dynamo and Pedal Power charger

This new improved charger Makes life easier, just switch, and your set. Includes settings, such as hub dynamo power or voltage. The iPhone 3G, iPhone 4 or iPod compatible. Charging starts at a speed of 15km / h+. Easy to see bright display and GPS usage is discharged, no longer the battery.

The charger has a replaceable battery buffer, which you can exchange at any time. This technology prevents your device from draining at a standstill, e.g. at traffic lights or talking, charging stops and the buffer kicks in. The buffer battery is recharged by the hub dynamo, so the longevity of the Pedal Power's is no obstacle.

With the pedal power charger, flexibility is key and your devices are always loaded quickly and safely.

Specifications:

• On and off switch Fully automatic, detects when you are not moving

• 6 to 12V compatible with Apple iPhone 3G and iPhone devices 4, iPod Loads all GPS and other mobile devices or cameras (Adapter)

• High Speed tested up to 100km / h

• integrated under-voltage protection

• Patented Efficiency Technologies

post-4949-0-52271800-1325947971.jpg

post-4949-0-64116100-1325948067.jpg

post-4949-0-87312700-1325948088.jpg

I use it in a plastic jiffy bag with cycle meter installed. amazing bit of code:

http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/041/Purple/a8/1e/1a/mzl.wvijxyap.320x480-75.jpg

http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/043/Purple/9e/4d/2e/mzl.fiudqnla.320x480-75.jpg

link

battery life is just fine, 4 hour ride often uses a quarter battery.

+1

Cyclemeter app is great. Plastic beg and camelbak and off you go.

Strava or endomondo for iphone, or if you have an itunes account trainingpeaks mobile. Personally I will stick to my Garmin 800, think vibration will catch up with the glass sides at some stage. IMO off course