Stop scammers on the hub

rouxtjie

All suspicious sellers to wear a clamping devise around their nuts... if the goods aren't delivered the device tightens and can only be removed by an "appi" welder... if the buyer is happy he sends the seller a code that releases the devise (and his nuts) :P

:clap:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't do a joint purchase with just anybody....so I would check out his "pedigree" on the hub I suppose. There is no protocol, it's really about your own judgement

That makes sense. I suppose you might just end up with some goodies you dont want.

All suspicious sellers to wear a clamping devise around their nuts... if the goods aren't delivered the device tightens and can only be removed by an "appi" welder... if the buyer is happy he sends the seller a code that releases the devise (and his nuts) :P

LOL!

I'd agree with what a few guys have said on today's posts - at the end of the day, common sense goes a long way. Things like number of posts, kind of content the seller has posted, a quick check of previous sale posts (e.g. I wouldn't buy from the oke that was trying to sell the dodgy RockShox fork as a SID a few weeks back) and detail in the advert should be enough to make up your mind. If in doubt, walk away or insist on seeing the goods in person.

The ratings system is open to abuse, but a suggestion is to show who has rated the person. If you spot quite a few people you know that have rated the seller then you can probably infer that he's (or she's) legit.

Anyways - very keen to see what everyone else thinks.

Most of us, not all of us have pedal power or something similar memberships, maybe that needs to be added to our Profiles.

I'm completely against "nanny state" type scenarios so I'm gonna go with "don't change a thing".C'mon people - it's piss easy not to be scammed.

What he said!You don't buy the stuff, you buy the seller.Or not.

I'm inclined to agree with this - although I've also put my 2 cents in regarding the proposed revising of the Classifieds section...

I've yet to be burned badly (barring the odd difference of opinion as to what "good condition" is) - but then I've yet to spend more than several hundred rands on one item... When the day comes that I'm willing to part with a few thousand - for wheels/frame/bike - I'm going to be darn sure I'm completely comfortable before taking the plunge...

That being said - recent incidents suggest that things got as far as telephone conversations, and all appeared to be cool. If the seller is a calm and collected scammer, then I guess the only way to avoid grief is person to person. If you can't do the latter, due to geographical constraints - then fall back on Hubber references and the like - otherwise bite the bullet and hope!

Ratings or comments are a good idea. It's up to the buyer to judge for their self, but it does give them some additional info from which to make the judgement (very little change from the current system)...

On the verification thing, let's be honest, the hub is run by a 20-something guy sitting at home I assume, would you want to go to all that hassle? I know I would never do it...

It's up to you to decide for yourself if someone is legitimate... I have probably sold hundreds of items on the hub and still have people concerned about their security when buying from me. I will try my best to provide details to prove I am legitimate, but they are always welcome to walk away if they aren't happy, I won't take it as an insult. This guy has brought a new level to the hub, with multiple profiles and a proper knowledge of the items he was selling, unfortunately people were caught out by his intelligence and well constructed scam, but now everyone is hopefully awake again and will be more wary.

No matter what you do, someone will get through the systems and post fraudulent ads and you will just be more inclined to believe them as they have already "verified" themselves.

The idea of a different classifieds layout will be much better for ease of use, but not necessarily for a buyer or sellers security. In the end, this is just another open forum, not a shop.

simple....if it sounds to good to be true....it is

just make a thing that you cant post in classifieds without a 100 posts to your name... lots of classified forums use it

I am also not keen on a so-called nanny state, I just chucked a couple of suggestions out there to get it going.

One suggestion that could go a long way however is formalising a sale thread. Making certain fields compulsary like price, condition, location, reason for selling etc and most importantly pics(mominimum 3 perhaps) of the original item could help with this since most scammers don't even have the items in question. Getting 3 pics together of the same item in the same spot and lighting might put them off.

I am also not keen on a so-called nanny state, I just chucked a couple of suggestions out there to get it going.

One suggestion that could go a long way however is formalising a sale thread. Making certain fields compulsary like price, condition, location, reason for selling etc and most importantly pics(mominimum 3 perhaps) of the original item could help with this since most scammers don't even have the items in question. Getting 3 pics together of the same item in the same spot and lighting might put them off.

That's in the pipeline Rouxtjie - can't be bothered to find it now, but ADMIN popped up a post a while ago for suggestions about the classifieds section - and most of the above should be incorporated, in some for or other - towards the end of February(??)

i think this is a storm in a tea cup. happens once in a while.

generally a little common sense works in helping to stop scammers.

rouxtjies suggestion with compulsory fields will also go a long way to making the sales section more standard. The couch would be important tho

I think it is good idea to have CSA licence to be on the Hubsa because they have all our details.....

:thumbup:

I'm completely against "nanny state" type scenarios so I'm gonna go with "don't change a thing".

C'mon people - it's piss easy not to be scammed.

Fortunately you claimed previously to have "brains"

let common sense prevail

I wont buy from a new member

If I buy from somone I deem border line I will ask another forum member in the area to check it out on my behalf

If it is a bargain be alert

I have sold and bought many things on a few forums and it is relatively simple but dont think because someone is a forum member they suddenly have ethics

Find out who they ride with generally if they dont ride with some or other bunch they are not real cyclists

I sold a motorbike for R75k the buyer never saw it paid me and sent his driver from East London to fetch it when I asked him about trust he stated he asked a few forum members who knew me and was confident based on that