[Event] TransBaviaans 2011

EcoBound MTB Events

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any advice on clothing options later in the day when the temperatures have dropped - what works and what not?

Any advice on clothing options later in the day when the temperatures have dropped - what works and what not?

It all depends on the weather. If it rains, I don't know what can save you, but usually arm warmers and a shirt under my cycling shirt works well.

It all depends on the weather. If it rains, I don't know what can save you, but usually arm warmers and a shirt under my cycling shirt works well.

Thanks for the info - this mornings ride out here in the sticks was near on 2 deg C on the Karoo side of town!?!

Phew, that's cold. I found that the Baviaanskloof doesn't get quite that cold so you should be ok!

First Ascent Base Layer :thumbup:

Had mine for 3 years now and never leave home without it in winter. Keeps you core temp up and doesnt make you too hot when the day gets warmer.

I am tempted to volunteer again...but keep remembering how cold it was the last time. I was helping at Zuurbron, so we went through the night. That was 2009

Any suggestions as to what to use as backup power source for Garmin 705. (I think I will probably need 16 Hours total :unsure: )

post-14134-0-03517100-1306909576.jpg

post-14134-0-39581600-1306909613.jpg

Any advice for a team of 1st timers to the Trans on what to carry with us during the day/night stints, we are looking at a 16hour finish.

What are the seconding tables like or should we plan to carry our own food etc.

What would one normally expect with repairs, other than spare hanger, brake pad, chain link, tubes.

See you all on the ride

Any advice for a team of 1st timers to the Trans on what to carry with us during the day/night stints, we are looking at a 16hour finish.

What would one normally expect with repairs, other than spare hanger, brake pad, chain link, tubes.

See you all on the ride

Sounds like us two years ago. We took way too much stuff. You don't have to carry much food - the tables are well-stocked. But a few energy bars or whatever you prefer won't hurt. Remember, you get containers for checkpoints 2 to 4 so put some stuff in there and don't carry it all from the start.

Here is my list:

Plugs

Regulator

Masterlinks

Tyre levers

Multitool

Bombs

Hangar

2 bottles

Cellphone

Cable ties

Lights

Spare socks (container/ support vehicle)

Arm warmers (container/ support vehicle)

Jacket (container/ support vehicle)

Clear lenses for sunglasses (container/ support vehicle)

Lube

Rehydrat

Stuff to eat

Stuff to drink

You shouldn't need spare brake pads unless it rains.

See you all on the ride

Make use of the containers for checkpoints 2 to 4. If you plan for a 16 hour ride then I suggest lights at checkpoint 2. We collected our lights at checkpoint 4 (Bergplaas) last year. We arrived as the sun was setting and completed the race in just under 13 hours. Cruising down from Bergplaas in the dark was out of this world!

Apart from some energy bars for emergency I would not pack any food. In fact I have never eaten so much food during a race as I did last year! There is more than enough food at the checkpoints. But do take enough water with you, I had 2 water bottles & a camelback.

We had no technicals last year as the terrain is not hard on your bike - it is more a tour than a MTB race. There are no rocks, roots or singletrack, so the basic tools distributed amongst the team should be enough.

Enjoy!

Are entries still available?

Sorry all, they have reached 400 teams, and are now FULL and entries are closed!!! Good luck to all those entered and hopefully I will see you there, my team is no 10 on the waiting list... holding thumbs