illegal rear lights??

nacho!

Ok so I've only been riding on tar recently with the MTB. I ride about 6pm-8pm in the evenings and yesterday I was almost run over by a BMW driver at Plattekloof Road, not seeing me although I have a red backlight and I was wondering on behalf of visibility...is it illegal to attach some blue LED's on the back of the MTB?

I have a previous built project which includes 2 wide angle Blue LED's flashing slowly, that i want to put on the rear of the MTB. I know that only police and traffic cops may have blue lights, but I'm on a cycle and with those blue LED's people will definitely see me from a distance. Wouldn’t want to get a fine...so anyone knows if this is legal?

Edited by nacho!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

problem wasnt the colour of the light it was the A-hole in the BMW. If it was a "530d" (read upsidedown if you dont understand) it would speak for itself.

Possibly ride with more then the one on the back, Ive got two on the seatpost and another I attach to the back of my camelback or shirt so its even more visible.

Not sure whether there are any similarly powerful rear lights out there, but the Magicshine MJ-818 puts out a claimed 80 lumens for R480 (including 4 cell lithium ion battery pack which normally retails for R600 alone!)... There is no way someone can claim not to see you then, they are insanely bright. https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/80654-magicshine-lights/

I know it's a bit of a opportunistic plug for them, but you're not going to get anywhere with blue flashing lights unfortunately so I reckon you need a good alternative!

Maybe use the blue lights for a night race, that way people move over for you, or you can just feel the right to force riders off the trail.

problem wasnt the colour of the light it was the A-hole in the BMW. If it was a "530d" (read upsidedown if you dont understand) it would speak for itself.

LOL my friend's mom has one and she really drives like a 530d in it!

Thanks guys, wanted to use something that I already have, then maybe going to replace the blue LED's with wide angle Reds. I guess if I’m caught I'll give the excuse of Malema..."I didn't knooow!"

To my knowledge there is no law against or for flashing lights. The law actually stipulates the use of reflectors. Red on back and white on front.

Edited by Eugene

Possibly ride with more then the one on the back, Ive got two on the seatpost and another I attach to the back of my camelback or shirt so its even more visible.

^with you here. One light is not sufficient. I ride with a minimum of 3 on the rear.

I almost rear ended a couple of cyclists a few days ago going up Hendrik Verwoerd from Plattekloof. The sun was directly in my eyes and I literally only saw them when I was a few meters behind them.

They were riding two abreast with the one helping the other get up the hill with his hand on her back. I had to swerve to miss the guy and I couldn't help thinking that someone behind me would end up taking them out.

Its something you don't realise when on the bike but sunrise and sunset are probably the most dangerous times to be cycling because you are just not visible in certain conditions regardless of what lights you have on the back.

To my knowledge there is no law against or for flashing lights. The law actually stipulates the use of reflectors. Red on back and white on front.

Actually there is. Flashing lights are also illegal but I understand its only limited to your front (white) lights and not your rear red one.

I use a flashing white front light and ares a law breakers - sheriff is not taking this hubber down :blink:

Actually there is. Flashing lights are also illegal but I understand its only limited to your front (white) lights and not your rear red one.

I use a flashing white front light and ares a law breakers - sheriff is not taking this hubber down :blink:

That must be only in South Africa - Cause I use to have 2 flashing white cat eye on the front, and two flashing at the back in red, and another solid red on my person.

I've read that in the UK Flashing rear Red lights are illegal...don't know why :unsure:

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing it so I'm pimping my bike with some LED's. Night rider B)

I almost rear ended a couple of cyclists a few days ago going up Hendrik Verwoerd from Plattekloof. The sun was directly in my eyes and I literally only saw them when I was a few meters behind them.

They were riding two abreast with the one helping the other get up the hill with his hand on her back. I had to swerve to miss the guy and I couldn't help thinking that someone behind me would end up taking them out.

Its something you don't realise when on the bike but sunrise and sunset are probably the most dangerous times to be cycling because you are just not visible in certain conditions regardless of what lights you have on the back.

Shoo, for a moment I thought you were talking about me there.

But I was alone..... I promise.. :)