My 29er rant

Tieffels

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rolling ability of the bigger wheels is only part of the debate, but there are other atmospheric conditions to consider as well. Nobody seems to have mentioned the influence of side gusts of strong wind on the bigger diameter wheels. I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but speak from real experience.

The past few weeks have been especially blustery in the Cape. On my regular training route I really noticed that my bike gets deflected much more than I could ever remember on my old (26 inch) bike (which I still ride). Strong gusts resulted in quite severe deflections and caused me to loose my line on several occasions on a single track, having to drastically compensate when taking a sip from my water bottle with only one and on the bar and generally being busier in the cockpit.

So, if you are planning to do a race on a 29er in the Cape, it may be prudent to check out the windguru.com site for a prediction and then decide if it wouldn’t be better to tackle the event on a 26er.

Sadly I gotta agree with you - I long for the days when people asked me about my "ususual" Niner rather than every lawyer, doctor and neurosurgeon ramming their carbon blinged out uber 29er down my throat.

Thats why I have just ordered a steel 29er SS - they hurt you far too much for posers to buy.

I guess in 10 years time I'll be riding an "unusual" 26er telling people how the light weight and thinner tyres are faster :D

yes S.I.R.

GOTTA LUV STEEL MAN

please post pics when you get your iron horse

trying to pawn my kidney for a custom built kermit....but i need gears in my neighbourhood

when i sell my other kidney for an M.O.D. with a hammerschmidt , it'll get ss'd

u got some fine riding ahead mate

Hey Chickenrun (Retief)

Well said and thanks for a good thread.

What irks me is that you get small chicks (ladies) riding 29ers looking like complete tossers with their big bikes. One thing is for sure, they're fancy, but fancy don't work in Africa. If anyone tries to do an overland trip like I did in December you will never find 29" wheels or tubes in Africa.

I agree, they're always looking for external factors to improve performance. Makes me think, I shall immediately put my 'fast tekkies' on without putting in the effort or bleeding on the bike and hopefully that will carry me through.

Cheers,

Niel

(o, jy mag maar weer saam kom ry...)

As long as there are powerbands around and enough silly gits buyin 29"ers the thread will continue!

These few things help me to ride better:

Lose the gut,

Eat healthily,

Be committed, always,

Push your limits.

After a while you will see that the external stuff doesn't help anymore. Your own mind and body will only do as much as you think it can. Nothing more.

yes S.I.R.

GOTTA LUV STEEL MAN

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Steel is king.

Tintin, good tips, thank you , will follow them religiously.

In light of that.

Niner MCR 29'er SS for sale, please PM Dangle the tosser.

yes S.I.R.

GOTTA LUV STEEL MAN

please post pics when you get your iron horse

trying to pawn my kidney for a custom built kermit....but i need gears in my neighbourhood

when i sell my other kidney for an M.O.D. with a hammerschmidt , it'll get ss'd

u got some fine riding ahead mate

Mwaahahahaha - I wonder how many people will get that?

Mine is going to be a Singular Swift - see www.singularcycles.com

I'm riding a Kermit Green Air 9 and love him to bits. Soon he will inherit a custom Giant XTC1 though - took a ride on one not so long ago and they're sharp and precise!

Kidneys! Who needs them????

As long as there are powerbands around and enough silly gits buyin 29"ers the thread will continue!

These few things help me to ride better:

Lose the gut,

Eat healthily,

Be committed, always,

Push your limits.

After a while you will see that the external stuff doesn't help anymore. Your own mind and body will only do as much as you think it can. Nothing more.

C'mon man - don't be a hater just cos you haven't visited the chucrch of 29er...

Do you ride a bike with gears, hydraulic brakes or suspension? Why? It's called progress man...

C'mon man - don't be a hater just cos you haven't visited the chucrch of 29er...

Do you ride a bike with gears, hydraulic brakes or suspension? Why? It's called progress man...

Haha! "Chucrch" ...

I have a 26fs and my long time riding buddy just got a 29er fs . he doesnt shut up about it, i think its cause he has to justify his decision or mayble its that good. All i know is i love my bike and i love riding and whatever makes anyone happy so be it. If the 29technology actually is better or not still up for debate as we have seen. Who knows maybe in a couple of years i might get a 29 er maybe not. What im trying to say is at most of our level of riding that is all of us on the hub the bike is not the one holding us back its our skills and ability that dont match our bikes, so i doubt a 29er will make us any better or faster than we are at the moment.

Spot on! So bek kort jam!

I have a 26fs and my long time riding buddy just got a 29er fs . he doesnt shut up about it, i think its cause he has to justify his decision or mayble its that good. All i know is i love my bike and i love riding and whatever makes anyone happy so be it. If the 29technology actually is better or not still up for debate as we have seen. Who knows maybe in a couple of years i might get a 29 er maybe not. What im trying to say is at most of our level of riding that is all of us on the hub the bike is not the one holding us back its our skills and ability that dont match our bikes, so i doubt a 29er will make us any better or faster than we are at the moment.

Do what I did ask your buddy to give you a spin on his bike and then you will know :)

Well whether they work or not, 29ers are damn hot and if I could afford one, I'd most definitely own one. :drool:

My 2 cents.......

I have been an average rider doing a couple of 94.7 mountain bike challenges over the passed 4 years on my 26" hardtail. My background is mainly racing offroad motorbikes and enduro races - only got into racing MTB's December last year.

I did Vori-Berg, Babbas Lodge e.t.c on my 26" inch with no knowledge of components, wheel size or full suspension. So I decided to buy a Giant Anthem X1 29er and can comment on the following:-

~ Have shaved 30min off my time at Vori-Berg

~ My agressive style of riding (ex-offroad motorbikes) allows me to bulldoze over obsticles much better than the 26" MTB and the 29er goes through deep mud better.

~ You do get the feeling that it is not as nimble in the tight, twisty sections and the steep hills do seem a bit harder.

~ For marathon events and open track riding it does go faster.

~ I will be doing the MTN National Clarans MTB race on 19th February which is a XCM 78 km's and will be able to give some feedback after this event.

Nobody is forced into buying a 29er and 26" bikes will always have their place when it comes to racing. I on the other hand have progressed much better on my 29er, racing times are quicker and the overall ease of riding is better on long distances. One gets the feeling that a 29er is like a 4x4 all terrain vehicle as it just goes over everything easier.

I do feel that my legs are working harder on the 29er and as a result they tend to "burn out" after 50 km's so I try and pace myself. You need to put more power to the pedals to get the wheels turning but once you have gained momentum the bike flies but be carful of "burn out"

A while ago I built up a bike.

I went "old school" with 26" wheels and 9 speed drivetrain. I spent a lot of money because I wanted it as light as possible. I got the bike to 9.6 kg with pedals and everything.

But now, after I built it up I realise that you get so crazy about the parts and which is better and so on, that you forget about riding. That's why it sad for me to see people selling awsome carbon 26" bikes just to follow the latest trend, then pay huge amounts of money to ride 29". Seems we forget what cycling is about.......

just my 2c worth.