Carbon wheels? Deep dish? What to do

Rick

Spidey...why Bora's Over 404's?

I have bora's and have not ridden with 404's (for very long) interested in your findings.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You dont need to spend 15K, thats not needed. Ok you want one set of wheels that are awesome and that are going to be strong enough for you. Truse me I have tested many sets of wheels. My weight is 118kg, not fat. but big and strong. Myself I am a campag fan and would suggest going with shamals, but seeing that you are going to be fitting Shimano Dura Ace on the bike.... No weight limit and are great for training and racing.

These are @ CWC R12 000.00

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/sites/default/files/imagecache/product/7850_dura_ace_wheels.jpg

After seeing guys do cyclocross on these, I made up my mind. Rock solid and bomb proof! Oh and no weight limit. (i have the previous model of these)

Like the guys already suggested, firstly decide between tubbies or clinchers.

Tubbies are not ideal for everyday training and will become very expensive.

Clinchers might be better for what you described.

Dont worry about the wind with any rim profile lower than 50mm, us big guys dont have any real issues in the wind (you still need to pay attention) but you wont get blown all over the road like a 60kg rider would.

Edited by Tankman

IMHO I should consider Easton (EC90SL - clicher or tubby) - no rider weight limit restrictions, ceramic bearings and DT swissstop brakepads included in the price. It is semi deep section so you don't have to fight it in cross winds and helps a lot with climbing. I sold my deep section EC90 Aero's for these - I am now faster on all terrains

Some experience-based comment from my side...

What I did find a bit wanting on the durability side was the free wheel hub.....

Assume you are talking about Zipp clinchers with aluminium rims?

2. Agree about the freehub body. It is only a problem with Zipp Shimano bodies, not Zipp/Campy. I've had both, Campy body held up well. Imo The problem is on Shimano side - splines on their cassettes should be deeper!

Assume you are talking about Zipp clinchers with aluminium rims?

2. Agree about the freehub body. It is only a problem with Zipp Shimano bodies, not Zipp/Campy. I've had both, Campy body held up well. Imo The problem is on Shimano side - splines on their cassettes should be deeper!

Yip, it is a Shimano only problem (I don't think clinchers or alu rims come into play here?), but it is something to look for if you ride Shimano or Sram and you are buying wheels with an aluminium freehub body (deep section or not). A steel one might be a slight bit heavier but will be much better in the long run. I guess Shimano don't care as their own wheels have steel bodies, so only the real weight weenie wheels are affected

Sorry man. You were riding the crap out of me, I wasnt seeing straight.

Na bru, I was just trying to hang on for a long as possible! Wasnt seeing straight when going up straight either!

I don't think clinchers or alu rims come into play here

Just wondering, because Full carbon clinchers are fairly recent to the market, and I am wondering if they will take a big hit.

The Zipp/alu wheels are strong, have also been used for cyclocross.

I've been using a set of Reynolds attack for training for the past couple of months. These things are as tough as nails. No problems so far.

Spidey...why Bora's Over 404's?

I have bora's and have not ridden with 404's (for very long) interested in your findings.

Oldish data but (And the profile of the Zipps have changed i.e. better)

Boras pushing 23w while I am pushing 20w

Every second counts!!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/aero_english.jpg

I've been using a set of Reynolds attack for training for the past couple of months. These things are as tough as nails. No problems so far.

Those are the ones I have missed!!!!

Reynolds have bought over Lew (or the other way around) or they are together in bed or something....

LEW = pedigree!!!

That said, the Reynolds full carbon clinchers are also a good buy!!! Jules rides them in races!! (Second at 94.7 Vets 30-34!!!)

:thumbup:

That said, the Reynolds full carbon clinchers are also a good buy!!! Jules rides them in races!! (Second at 94.7 Vets 30-34!!!)

I've also seen him training on them occasionally. Competitive Cyclist currently has some Reynolds wheels for 50% off:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/components/reynolds/wheels.1994.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Save+50+on+All+2010+Reynolds+Carbon+Wheels&utm_content=Save+50+on+All+2010+Reynolds+Carbon+Wheels+CID_7ae8b45a5b89bd87723a0750a43ab75b&utm_source=Email+marketing+software&utm_term=Reynolds+Carbon+Wheels+011911

Oldish data but (And the profile of the Zipps have changed i.e. better)

Boras pushing 23w while I am pushing 20w

RSYS @ 35w :lol:

Ksyrium ES @ 33w also poor.

Nicest thing about the data is that it is from an independant test.

Conclusion: thick spokes = more drag. Low profile wheels with best aerodynamics look like Shimano R550's and old shape Scirroco (don't know if the AmClassic 420 counts as low profile)