MTN Advendurance 2011 Race Callender

allobar

I think splitting them up is great. Get to race on saturday and sunday rather then sitting around scratching my... and then driving home. Better value for money, you stay over for the whole weekend anyway so get the best out of it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking sadly this is whats its all come down to: appeasing sponsors. Since there are different sponsors for Marathon and the 1/2 they have to have their own airtime / exposure. And if you look at Pedaltalk the focus is entirely on the leaders and teams and their sponsors names are always plugged. No coverage at all of rank & file. Just seems the events have become props for sponsors brands.

They say without a sponsor there wont be a race/event. Really? Lets look at the budget then. How much of our money goes to hiring helicopters for TV coverage? We all pay good money to enter, not too mention expenses of getting there and accommodation. It seems to me the focus of events have become too centered around commercial promotions, and now runs the risk of the grow and popularity of the sport going pop. The marketing storm troopers are taking over.

And SABC. Now is this not a public broadcaster that we pay license fees for? (at least I do) So why should a cycling programme entirely focus on the brands and sponsors of any events. What about the rest of the participants?

That being said, its great to have such a choice of events now out in the country. I really enjoy getting the opportunity to get out there and enjoy the routes / rides / nature / camaraderie. So keep it up MTN Nissan etc but lets try get more of a balance, and think / consider the views and needs of the average person attending and making them the success they are.

Edited by kosmonooit

They say without a sponsor there wont be a race/event. Really?

Like the first unsponsored Avianto race was R90 and it included a burger. The next one was R170 or so after a sponsor signed up.

I am thinking sadly this is whats its all come down to: appeasing sponsors... Just seems the events have become props for sponsors brands.

They say without a sponsor there wont be a race/event. Really? Lets look at the budget then. How much of our money goes to hiring helicopters for TV coverage? We all pay good money to enter, not too mention expenses of getting there and accommodation. It seems to me the focus of events have become too centered around commercial promotions, and now runs the risk of the grow and popularity of the sport going pop. The marketing storm troopers are taking over.

Exactly.

We were happy little bikers before the races were aired on tv, advertised to the already converted etc. It seems the bigger name of the sponsor, the more expensive it gets for average joe. If general expenses like land use charges, registration is paid by the organiser, what does the sponsor bring to the table that will benefit midfield riders like me?

Geez, HTFU. Then go to just one of the out of town races. Everyone has their own budget but you need not splash yours all over the HUB. The point is, the MTN events are better organised than most, have a great vibe and are professional in the extreme. That is why you would rather do THEM. And with the new format there are definitely pro's and a few con's involved - but don't focus on the negative so much. You're ruining it for the rest of us.

Seems like it does not take much to ruin something that is already in tatters then :-)

Not my budget I am concerned about I am one - no attachments so cost etc is not a problem.

But if you look/listen to the reasoning for splitting the events then they (the organizers) are working against themselves.

Now instead of having more people at the event - people will have to choose one, talking about having 2 out of town events in one month.

As for the race itself - You may force some 1/2 Marathon riders to enter the marathon, now clogging up the marathon and leaving the 1/2marathon less supported, or perhaps as they hope opening up space for more people in the 1/2marathon.

Be that as it may - to each his own - we will see what effect fuel prices and tolls have on these races.

I am just sick and tired of everything having a price tag.

"If you are in advertising, go out and kill yourself" - Bill Hicks

Had a chat with one of Sabie locals yesterday. She will marshall on Saturday, but refused to take part on Sunday. She says that "the people of Sabie" are very unhappy with the Sunday racing. Marshalls and sponsors of waterpoints are local, churchgoing people who are now being "forced" to spend the Sunday at the event as well.

I was very unhappy with the way things turned out at Barberton on the Sunday, but will be in Sabie on Sunday to see if they have made an attempt to improve the vibe etc.

Edited by Cannas

Did both Barbeton and Sabie last year this year not, voted with my feet, missed the fun but could not afford it. :blush:

Sabie 1/2 on Sunday was a great route and fantastic atmosphere at the event. We even got a respectable goodie bag. The split racing allowed me the opportunity to watch the pro's racing on Saturday.I do however prefer the 1 day format and would like not to have to take a secong bond to finance the weekends activities.

MTN NATIONAL XCM MTB SERIES & NISSAN NATIONAL 1/2 MARATHON MTB SERIES

Sat 15 January 2011 MTN & NISSAN Attakwas XCM #1 Chandelier Game Farm, Oudtshoorn, Western Cape

Sat 29 January 2011 MTN Barberton XCM # 2 Barberton High School, Barberton, Mpumalanga

Sun 30 January 2011 NISSAN Barberton 1/2 Marathon #2 Barberton High School, Barberton, Mpumalanga

Sat 19 February 2011 MTN Clarens XCM # 3 Town Square, Clarens, Free State

Sun 20 February 2011 NISSAN Clarens 1/2 Marathon #3 Town Square, Clarens, Free State

Sat 26 February 2011 MTN Sabie XCM # 4 York Timbers, Sabie, Mpumalanga

Sun 27 February 2011 NISSAN Sabie 1/2 Marathon #4 York Timbers, Sabie, Mpumalanga

Sat 14 May 2011 MTN Tulbagh XCM # 5 Saronsberg Wine Estate, Tulbagh, Western Cape

Sun 15 May 2011 NISSAN Tulbagh 1/2 Marathon #5 Saronsberg Wine Estate, Tulbagh, Western Cape

Sat 27 August 2011 MTN Graveltravel XCM # 6 Diemersfontein Wine estate, Diemersfontein, Western Cape

Sun 28 August 2011 NISSAN Graveltravel 1/2 Marathon #6 Diemersfontein Wine estate, Diemersfontein, Western Cape

Sat 24 September 2011 MTN 50 Miler XCM # 7 Grace College, Hilton, Kwa-Zulu Natal

Sun 25 September 2011 NISSAN 50 Miler #7 Grace College, Hilton, Kwa-Zulu Natal

Sat 08 October 2011 MTN Crater Cruise # 8 Petite Paris, Parys, Free State

Sun 09 October 2011 NISSAN Crater Cruise #8 Petite Paris, Parys, Free State

NISSAN 2011 SERIES

Sat 25 June 2011 NISSAN #1 - Hazeldean Hazeldean, Pta East, Gauteng

Sat 23 July 2011 NISSAN #2 - Teaks Place Teaks Place, Roodepoort, Gauteng

Sat 03 September 2011 NISSAN #3 - Down & Dirty Smuts Museum, Irene, Gauteng

Sat 22 October 2011 NISSAN #4 - Oak Ave Oak Ave, Cullinan, Gauteng

Sat 05 November 2011 NISSAN #5 - Van Gaalen Van Gaalen, Skeerpoort, North West

OTHER EVENTS

30 July 2011 Schoemanskloof MTB Challenge TBA

18 September 2011 MTN Zoo Lake Criterium Zoo Lake Park, Johannesburg, Gauteng

01 October 2011 Misty Valley MTB Challenge Misty Valley Lodge, Mpumalanga

TRAINING CAMPS

15-17 April 2011 Misty Valley Training Camp Misty Valley Lodge, Mpumalanga

06-08 May 2011 Misty Valley Training Camp Misty Valley Lodge, Mpumalanga

03-05 June 2011 Misty Valley Training Camp Misty Valley Lodge, Mpumalanga

Edited by Tim_Fair

MTN National XCM #3 Clarens - Braodcast Schedule

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 4 MTN National Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (3) 14-Mar-11 20:30 21:00 SS7N Premier

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 4 MTN National Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (3) 14-Mar-11 20:30 21:00 SS7 Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 4 MTN National Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (3) 15-Mar-11 10:30 11:00 SS6 Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 4 MTN National Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (3) 15-Mar-11 10:30 11:00 SS6A Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 4 MTN National Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (3) 16-Mar-11 16:00 16:30 SS7 Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 4 MTN National Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (3) 16-Mar-11 16:00 16:30 SS7N Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 4 MTN National Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (3) 17-Mar-11 18:30 19:00 SS7 Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 4 MTN National Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (3) 17-Mar-11 18:30 19:00 SS7N Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 4 MTN National Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (3) 19-Mar-11 00:00 00:30 SS6 Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 4 MTN National Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (3) 19-Mar-11 00:00 00:30 SS6A Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 4 MTN National Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (3) 19-Mar-11 08:30 09:00 SS6A Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 4 MTN National Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (3) 19-Mar-11 08:30 09:00 SS6 Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 4 MTN National Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (3) 20-Mar-11 08:00 08:30 SS5 Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 4 MTN National Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (3) 20-Mar-11 08:00 08:30 SS5N Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 4 MTN National Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (3) 20-Mar-11 08:00 08:30 SS5A Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 4 MTN National Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (3) 21-Mar-11 10:00 10:30 SS6A Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 4 MTN National Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (3) 21-Mar-11 10:00 10:30 SS6 Repeat

NISSAN National 1/2 Marathon #3 Clarens - Broadcast Schedule

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 5 Nissan National Half Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (4) 14-Mar-11 21:00 21:30 SS7 Premier

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 5 Nissan National Half Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (4) 14-Mar-11 21:00 21:30 SS7N Premier

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 5 Nissan National Half Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (4) 15-Mar-11 11:00 11:30 SS6 Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 5 Nissan National Half Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (4) 15-Mar-11 11:00 11:30 SS6A Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 5 Nissan National Half Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (4) 16-Mar-11 16:30 17:00 SS7 Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 5 Nissan National Half Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (4) 16-Mar-11 16:30 17:00 SS7N Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 5 Nissan National Half Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (4) 17-Mar-11 19:00 19:30 SS7 Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 5 Nissan National Half Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (4) 17-Mar-11 19:00 19:30 SS7N Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 5 Nissan National Half Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (4) 19-Mar-11 00:30 01:00 SS6A Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 5 Nissan National Half Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (4) 19-Mar-11 00:30 01:00 SS6 Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 5 Nissan National Half Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (4) 19-Mar-11 09:00 09:30 SS6 Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 5 Nissan National Half Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (4) 19-Mar-11 09:00 09:30 SS6A Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 5 Nissan National Half Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (4) 20-Mar-11 08:30 09:00 SS5 Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 5 Nissan National Half Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (4) 20-Mar-11 08:30 09:00 SS5N Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 5 Nissan National Half Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (4) 20-Mar-11 08:30 09:00 SS5A Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 5 Nissan National Half Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (4) 21-Mar-11 10:30 11:00 SS6 Repeat

Miway Mountain Biking Eps. 5 Nissan National Half Marathon Series - Clarens, Fs (4) 21-Mar-11 10:30 11:00 SS6A Repeat

• 1 month later...