Motorists, cyclists: time to grow up

Spat

Nic - the one glaring difference between cyclists & rollerbladers etc is that a bicycle is by definition a vehicle. Rollerblades are not. Neither are running shoes or prams. And in addition, a cyclist is not a pedestrian.

Whilst I agree with your wish for a license of some sort for us to use the road (perhaps even to include it in the K53 for example, so that, by doing your drivers, you automatically have a bike license. In addition, doing a bike-license all by itself for those who have no wish to learn how to drive a motor vehicle) we cannot occupy the same space as the peds. THAT would be illegal. Safe (for us), yes. But illegal.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point, it is a tough one...

The only way around it is bicycle lanes - but they would very soon become the new Taxi Lane/Rank!!!!

Most cyclist do think about motorists, most of them have cars as well,

Interesting. Again, my own wee observation. Go to a big cycle race, have a look at the guy who finishes the race, gets in his car and abuses cyclists trying to finish, and marshals who helped him. I find it completely bizarre, getting behind the wheel turns some of the most normal people into complete demons.

Yep - in our club if there are more than 15 riders in any particular group, it gets split up into smaller groups for safety, not to mention common decency on the road. 2 smaller bunches are easier to pass than one big one, and generally tend to clump less.

Have a search here, I got ridden into by some dumb oaf on his bicycle, cause I, on my bicycle, had the temerity to stop at a non-working robot.

Motorists first need to go and take a tape measure, and measure how wide their cars are. Then , compare that to the average width of lanes on South African roads. Then maybe, just maybe they'll realise that there is anough space for all of us on the road. But, nothing, nothing should get in the way of 'God' in his/her car!

Interesting. Again, my own wee observation. Go to a big cycle race, have a look at the guy who finishes the race, gets in his car and abuses cyclists trying to finish, and marshals who helped him. I find it completely bizarre, getting behind the wheel turns some of the most normal people into complete demons.

:clap: :clap: Well said