Virgin Active monthly fee

Big Til

Worst part of planet fitness is that every end of the year they take a double payment for club upgrades you will never see, and to cansel a contract after its term is up is a tedious job, first you have to make a appointment with the club manager and then write a letter telling them y you want to stop, and then 3 months later your contract is still not stopped

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst part of planet fitness is that every end of the year they take a double payment for club upgrades you will never see, and to cansel a contract after its term is up is a tedious job, first you have to make a appointment with the club manager and then write a letter telling them y you want to stop, and then 3 months later your contract is still not stopped

O ja I forgot about that beaut, carte blanche have teared them apart recently... V-Active is more expensive but everything is clear from the outset.

No. I was on gold for 2 years. This would be nr 3. So I will get Diamond this year. Got dependant at end of last year. So obviously I now need more more points to still be gold status. But as it was at the end of last year, I didn't expect to still comply to the higher thresholds. So I monitored my profile carefully every week after that. The website indicated I was ok. I was gold. My monthly status reports/accounts indicated I was gold. I was ok. They didn't update my profile until this year. And now its too late. They slipped up would't you say. Its suppose to be automated on the system. Or at least communicate with the client.

Im not impressed with Discovery's service.

There is a common miss conception with your status and actual points.

Last year I ended on 55700 odd points - Gold Status.

This year it now shows 5570- Gold Status (10% of the previous years points that carried over, quite correct)

But this simply means I will receive all the benefits and discounts for 2011 as a Gold member - HOWEVER I still need to complete the tasks again to accumulate 45000 points to remain a Gold member in 2012.

If I don't do anything to gain more points during this year, I will drop back down to Blue next year.

Being on Gold for this year is like a "Thank You for your hard work last year, we will reward you for it by giving you the benefits as a Gold member, but you have to do it again!"

So how many points did you end on in 2010?

Prices may vary from club to club but these are the prices for joining Virgin Active through Vitality in Somerset West:

R735 once of joining fee

R73 per month

or

R95 per month for membership at Somerset West & Waterstones

or

R158 for Premier Membership

Guest agteros

This year Vitality / SA-Active have waived the R85 odd for SA-Active. Now it cost nothing to log the events you do and get your. Easier to max out your base fitness points (and get the bonus for 5 or more events)

That is sweeeeet, thanks for letting us know agteros!

Points - for Free!! :clap:

You can earn a maximum of 15 000 Fitness points per year but if you subscribe to SA Active they will award you with and additional 5000 bonus points after your 5th event for the year bringing your total fitness points to 20 000! :clap:

We joined Discovery Life (because my work insists on another medical aid) and then Vitality, and we get more back each month than what we pay out. Gym is free for one of us with a small monthly payment for the other (after the joining fees). And our kids joined the gym at R85 each once-off until they turn 13 - they swim lots, often having the pool to themselves. And then there are all the discounts from shops like Cape Union Mart, Exclusive Books, Kulula, Pick n Pay etc. We actually make money each month. I think Discovery and Virgin Active have been brilliant.

Look at Momentum Multiply on www.multiply.co.za ... gym fee calculator on landing page

That calculator is based on the number of times you visit the gym in the month?

So what if I say I will go more than 10 times a month but I only go once, do I then pay the price for only going once?

And then the next month I go only 6 times, what then?

Virgin is just a plain ripp-off. I was with them for 4 years. Now I just cycle. What irritated me most, and the prrof is in this thread, is that everyone seems to pay a different fee. Its B.S. ! It's like insurance, they start high and when you complain they lower it. Its all about commission for the sales exec. I understand they need to make money too but this is ludacris!

Virgin is just a plain ripp-off. I was with them for 4 years. Now I just cycle. What irritated me most, and the prrof is in this thread, is that everyone seems to pay a different fee. Its B.S. ! It's like insurance, they start high and when you complain they lower it. Its all about commission for the sales exec. I understand they need to make money too but this is ludacris!

I take it you were not on Vitality during those 4 years?

Not all clubs offer the exact same facilities that is why there are different prices.

They hardly make that much by taking R80 from you per month!

I take it you were not on Vitality during those 4 years?

Not all clubs offer the exact same facilities that is why there are different prices.

They hardly make that much by taking R80 from you per month!

No I was not on Vitality unfortunately. The increases year on year were also completely out of line. 20 percent plus increases are unrealistic, particularly in 2009 in the middle of the recession. It just got too much! They have lost a customer for life.

Strange, I think the VA fee is good value. I am a national card holder and even though I have Discovery Vitality I have never bothered to go onto the Vitality system (I really must though)I just think the fee is good value even as a private client.

When I was working, I was always travelling around so I trained all over the show, but now I just generally go to the Broadacres VA, its not the closest, but I think its the nicest in my immediate area.

I have been a member since the day they opened in SA and never regretted it once.

Ok guys since I've just signed up, thought I might shed some light!!

Here are virgin + Planet Fitness price lists - students and vitality and multiply members will get a discount:

[Virgin] http://content.momentum.co.za/multiply/downloads/VirginActive/VirginActiveRetailPricelist2010.pdf

[Planet Fitness] http://content.momentum.co.za/multiply/downloads/PlanetFitness/PlanetFitnessPricelist2010.pdf

Edited by prox

Any of you Momentum guys care to explain how their system works?

As far as I can see those prices are based on the amount of times you visit the gym during the month.

What happens when you dont go as many times as you signed up for?

(oh and what does the mulitply membership cost per month?

• 1 year later...