Finally (finally) finished...

RodTi

:clap:

post-1360-0-86732300-1296135596.png

Please excuse this blatant and pointless self-indulgence... But I'm just getting so excited for the build of the new SS, that I can hardly help myself... Putting it out here will almost make it feel real, and placate me for a bit longer... :)

Handle bar [On-One Mary]

Stem [KCNC]

Brake levers [Avid Speed Dial 7]

Brakes [XT v-brakes]

Headset [Hope]

Fork [Fox F80 RL]

Frame [DBR Axis TT]

Post [Thomson Inline Elite]

Saddle [brooks B17 Special]

Crankset [shimano Deore M542 - new, blades still to be removed]

Wheelset [shimano old-skool Parrallax]

Tensioner [DMR STS]

:)

Am I forgetting something, apart - obviously - from an actual bike? :P

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Headset: Chris King.

Is the fork a rigid?

Do you have a weight in mind?

King remains tempting...

Will be taking my current one over to the new frame - and suppose I should take the plunge and go for quality over price... PRO Headset will be about R350/R400... CK double that easily... :rolleyes:

Fork. Not rigid, yet...

Cheapie I bought off a fellow hubber, just to get things going.

Will no doubt upgrade soon...

Have been looking long and hard at rigid - but I'm no lightweight, and have come across forums where rigid's have been reported snapping... :blink: Makes me a tad nervous...

This being said... looking at this:

Brave Hardrocker CrMo

post-1360-0-62559500-1296137326.png

It's one of the few that can still take v-brakes, as opposed to canti's - so thinking of taking the plunge, even if I simply keep it as backup...

Weight?

I probably need to lose about 20kg's... :P

:lol:that's what I was thinking when I read the comment.

That Bar sir! She is a thing of BEAUTY :rolleyes: :thumbup:

Thanks Drongo - the pic doesn't do it justice! Will put up some real photos when she's mounted...

Had a long look at the Carnegie bar as well - decided on the On-One and went local via Kiwi...

Think Fonda in Easy Rider... :D

oury grips

Hmmm - those could work.

Fanks.

As would these... Would match my saddle. :)

post-1360-0-77716900-1296159262.png

:clap:

Am I forgetting something, apart - obviously - from an actual bike? :P

Er, don't you have another imminent arrival on the doorstep?

Good luck in building it - hope you get a chance to ride it ;)

Er, don't you have another imminent arrival on the doorstep?

Good luck in building it - hope you get a chance to ride it ;)

:D

Hence this thread... :P

hI,

Have used the Mary bars for the last 6 mths, get laughed at a lot but they are soooooooooooooooo great.

Best bars for when you are standing up on SS hands are in the best position, do not get neck pain any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy

Rod, It's all about balance, the more rigit the SS, the more flexible you have to be... you must be a olympic gymnast... :D

Me on the other hand, will snap like a twig... :o (no rigid SS for me!)

• 3 weeks later...

Must say I tried hard to like Mary bars, but in the end went back to 9 degree sweep. They just didn't do it for me.

Look forward to your complete build post.

Rod have you finished this bike yet? Pics !!

New rear shock for the Softail will be landing on Tuesday - going to try and get it built over the course of the week, but things are a bit hectic at the moment [ :P ], so looks like it it might take a week or two extra... :rolleyes: Think the easiest will be to simply take both frames in to the LBS, and have the XT crank switched, and the new LX installed. I don't have a crank-puller, so this is pretty much all I'll need major help with...

Still have to order the seatpost via CRC - but that shouldn't take too long - depending on budget constraints, might then just take the plunge on the King headset...

Still pondering on the wheels though... I'll use my existing wheels on the new frame, and will dust off the cobwebs on the old Parallax set... BUT - really don't feel like having to fix punctures again (once you've gone to tubeless...) - so will have to start getting up to speed on whether a Ghetto conversion will be able to work on something so old?? As excited as I am - I'm starting to experience a slightly-perverse desire to drag this out a bit: Been planning this for so long now, that I've almost enjoying the anticipation more than the end-result... I know, I know - I'll probably PM you to meet me somewhere in Stellies, and have you slap me around the head a bit, need to stop talking and build her!!! :D

Must say I tried hard to like Mary bars, but in the end went back to 9 degree sweep. They just didn't do it for me.Look forward to your complete build post.

I'm hoping it works for me - I'll be honest in stating I bought them simply because I thought they looked cool - although I'll be the first to acknowledge that my idea of 'hip' is most likely everyone else's square! :)