PT SL no recieving signal, help!

Marius

I?ve noticed during my last two training rides the CPU does not receive any information from the hub after I started pedaling during the first few meters. I would then stop spin the wheel and everything is working again. But last night I thought I?d just check it because I want to train today without having to worry about it working, but this time it did not pick up anything. I then rushed to the shop to buy some batteries as this was the problem the previous 2 times. I replaced the CPU and Hub batteries but with no change.

The PowerTap did pick up one time for a few seconds but after I stopped the wheel, cleared the CPU Memory and tried again there was nothing again.

I then thought maybe there is some electrical interference so I took the bike to another room this morning and tried again, it worked but after stopping the wheel, clearing the mem on the CPU I tried again and yet again nothing happens. I then took it out side, fiddled with the wires, the ?online? round receiving signal would come up but no info get transfer and then the circle icon on the CPU also disappears after a few seconds, like it?s loosing it?s signal.

I?m really at my ends, all I can think is that it might be the cable or the unit I plug the CPU into, what do you think, what can I do, I?m really desperate to get this fixed asap.

Does any one have a recieving Cable / CPU plug in thingy I can borrow to see which of the two are at fualt???Embarrassed

I emailed him this morning but he is out of office till the 31st. I then ffrd my email to Frank who got back to me with the following:

"You seem to have tried most of the basics that are covered in our trouble shooting guide
(http://www.bikemaxpower.com/upload/name/14/PT_Troubleshooting.pdf)

Perhaps just read B & C of this guide to be sure that none of the other basics aren't perhaps the cause eg CPU is definitely seated properly in its cradle
If the transmission icon is going off and on, I would guess it is either the hub or the receiver/wiring system
The easiest way to check which of the two would be to run the system in bike computer mode (you will need a wheel magnet handy)

If it runs ok in this mode then the problem is likely to be hub (or outside chance of CPU)
We would then have to check more carefully for you

Let me know how you progress "

The problem is I have no idea how to do the tests his talking about. I really wish they can get some one in the northern Subs as well cuz I simply don't have the time to drive out to them so they can fix it. Do any one know for how long the PT SL has a warrenty on? Mine is ess than a year old.

Hi Marius

Not sure if this will solve your problem.  I had a similar problem on my SL while riding, the data will disappear for a while - the hub icon showed on the CPU but no power or speed, only lines (sometimes the CPU even went to sleep).  On one of the PT forums on the internet I read about a guy who installed the pickup on the chainstay on a sponge or some shock-absorbing material.  I tried it - and all was solved, no more data loss.  It doesn't look pretty, but at least I can get some data from my PT.  If you want to, I can send you a photo of my setup.  Try this - hope it helps.  If not, do a search on the net - a lot of PT FAQ sites.

thx DanNeal, strange thing is when that happend to my PT I just replaced the batteries in the CPU and it worked. I don't think I have a shock-absorbing problem since I can't get it to work while standing still with the wheel of the ground spinning. It has to be the recieving Cable, I checked it and it does not appair to have any damage to it but who knows, it might have snapped on the inside? I think they should just send me a new recieving cable so I can check it.

Ekt vanoggend op daai boks van di PT gesien dit het 'n een jaar waarborg.. Wanne het jy hom laasjaar gekoop??Big%20smile

Mmm, ja, alles hou net n jaar, het dit in Desember laas jaar gekoop, so is darm nog gecover vir n maand maar met my luck sal ek damn recieving cable nie gecover word nie en dus R664...

Hi Marius

Not sure if this will solve your problem.  I had a similar problem on my SL while riding' date=' the data will disappear for a while - the hub icon showed on the CPU but no power or speed, only lines (sometimes the CPU even went to sleep).  On one of the PT forums on the internet I read about a guy who installed the pickup on the chainstay on a sponge or some shock-absorbing material.  I tried it - and all was solved, no more data loss.  It doesn't look pretty, but at least I can get some data from my PT.  If you want to, I can send you a photo of my setup.  Try this - hope it helps.  If not, do a search on the net - a lot of PT FAQ sites.
[/quote']

I'm going to try this, thanks DanNeal. Thumbs%20UpI bought a PT SL for my race wheels about 3 months ago, and sometimes have this problem. Batteries cant be flat, I only rode with the thing about 10 times. 

Hy Pansie! Have you broke a spoke on your Easton Tempest II's yet??? Well I've broken a few already, you need to pedal real hard to get that rightWink

Update: The PowerTap is still not working right. During last nights training ride it must've cut out 6times between 30seconds and 1minute at a time. This morning I removed my Polar Cadance censor as per Adrian's adice, did not help on bit, I still don't get a signal. I then Tried Frank's advice switching to Cycle Mode, got  extra magnet, spinned the wheel and moved the magnet across the reciever, nothing!!! I also changed the batteries in both the CPU and Hub.

ps: i also got some spiked Power Readings one of which was a 1956Watts while doing a L2 ride, so not only is it dying on me it's giving me FUALTY info.
Marius2007-11-01 01:12:59

Problem solved. I did a few tests this weekend with the help of CVANC and his PowerTap / setup. If any one else have problems receiving a signal this is what I did to establish were the problem might be.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Best option would be this:

1. Test your CPU on another bike (with other person's hub) 2. Test your wheel on another bike (with other person's CPU) 3. If both 1&2 are successful, then test both your CPU & hub on the other bike, thus checking that they pick each other up.

4. If 3 works successfully, then it's your cable.

5. If 1 or 2 fails, then you also know where your issue is.

Doing these tests it was clear that the problem was with the Cable / docking station/ Receiver combo. Adrian as always came thru for me, he tested the Setup this morning and came to the same conclusion and Lilo is on her way with my free cable, lucky it was still under warranty with a month to go:-P

He also tested my HTM that has NEVER worked for me. They discovered that the problem was the interference from my Polar equipment. When the wheel with Polar Magnet is standing still the PowerTap picks up HR but as soon as the wheel starts to spin the HR stops. I?ll test it tonight again by taking the Polar Speed sensor off.

Also take special care when you are fixing the cables to your frame, don?t use cable ties, although the cables are static most of the time the cable ties my cause damage to the wire over time. Rather use a silicon solution or water proof tape.

Mmm, interesting advice on how to troubleshoot your problem.

Looks suspicously familiar, are you sure someone didn't suggest to you how to test it? Looks quite methodical for a pansie Wink

Problem solved. I did a few tests this weekend with the help of CVANC and his PowerTap / setup. If any one else have problems receiving a signal this is what I did to establish were the problem might be.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Best option would be this:

1. Test your CPU on another bike (with other person's hub) 2. Test your wheel on another bike (with other person's CPU) 3. If both 1&2 are successful' date=' then test both your CPU & hub on the other bike, thus checking that they pick each other up.

4. If 3 works successfully, then it's your cable.

5. If 1 or 2 fails, then you also know where your issue is.

Doing these tests it was clear that the problem was with the Cable / docking station/ Receiver combo. Adrian as always came thru for me, he tested the Setup this morning and came to the same conclusion and Lilo is on her way with my free cable, lucky it was still under warranty with a month to go:-P

He also tested my HTM that has NEVER worked for me. They discovered that the problem was the interference from my Polar equipment. When the wheel with Polar Magnet is standing still the PowerTap picks up HR but as soon as the wheel starts to spin the HR stops. I?ll test it tonight again by taking the Polar Speed sensor off.

Also take special care when you are fixing the cables to your frame, don?t use cable ties, although the cables are static most of the time the cable ties my cause damage to the wire over time. Rather use a silicon solution or water proof tape.

[/quote']

Thanks Marius! I am experiencing similar problems. The one day will have some data drops, the other day no drops. Same route, same everything. Have done almost all the things you have suggested in your earlier messages.

Will try your suggestions above, next.

Also struggles with the HR. Works 100% if the bike is stationary, ie. on a IDT. But drops often the moment I am on the road or showing something weird like a HR of 250+ . Also took off the Polar Speed and cadence sensor. Only the speed sensor magnet is still on the wheel. Will this also have an effect maybe?

Unfortunately for me I bought mine second hand and according to Adrian the warranty is not transferrable to a second person.

As a matter of interest, how much will the cable / docking station / receiver combo cost?

Mmm, well there you done it, blown you own cover, that was not very clever, was it nowLOL 

Thought I'd keep your identity a secret, you know how those Hogs are when they find out you frantinic with the dark side... thx Nick!

But I have the give a feather in the cap for the Warthogs, they are really awsome if you are looking for some technical advice no matter what. The hubbers are good for Rant n Raving about stuff and pissing off PPA:-P

From what I understand the Polar Speed sensor will have a effect, I'm going to be testing that tonight and let you know.

Oh, and thx to Lilo for going all the way to Adrian's place, took her 1h20minutes in traffic, hectic! Adrian, get a brunch in Nothern Subs as well, please!!! then I can bug you more often:-D