The 31-year-old noob

wesley_r

I'm a late starter - got my mountain bike beginning of 2010, a hardtail, just to get fit. Now? Hooked...

Why am I posting this in gravity? Because at 31 I feel like a 17 year old after my ride this weekend. Hit up Contermanskloof for what must be only my 3rd time there... took the lower black route (as I do every time), only this time hit one of the small jumps halfway down, then DIDN'T take the chicken route near the bottom, and instead did the drop off, railed the berm and popped some air off the jump.

Is it wrong to be this stoked with my minor achievement (old hat to guys 10 years my junior)? Or is it time to start saving for that full-susser... I've got some serious catch-up to do :thumbup:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all :) now you can start trying other things you not so sure about.

If you never try anything you will never fail but you will also never succeed :)

A nice little bounce off the ground this morning to remind me I'm not as malleable as I was when I was 17 :lol:

Go for it bud, I'm 32 and started dirt jumping in Dec!

A word of advise though, wear lotsa protection. Ended up in the emergency room day before new years after coming off :P

Wes: but your gear saved you right? ;)

yeah, err, i wasn't wearing any... was an early morning majik forest ride... had my kneeguards, but only put them on at the top by the beacon before doing the singletrack down - this happened on the rollers behind the substation - was bloody epic, i held on for a good distance before planting! :clap:

yeah, err, i wasn't wearing any... was an early morning majik forest ride... had my kneeguards, but only put them on at the top by the beacon before doing the singletrack down - this happened on the rollers behind the substation - was bloody epic, i held on for a good distance before planting! :clap:

youtube link or it never happened! :P

you are not alone bud, turning 31 in March and i too found a new love to occupy pretty much all my "non-work" time.

you are not alone bud, turning 31 in March and i too found a new love to occupy pretty much all my "non-work" time.

dude, 50 is the new 40, ergo 31 is the new 21 :clap:

dude, 50 is the new 40, ergo 31 is the new 21 :clap:

but jailbait stays the same... <_<

:P

35 when i started DH last year. Bounced of a tree while booking it and realized 3 things:

1. The faster you go, the smoother it is.

2. Tree's don't move.... try and avoid them.

3. Healing time at 35 is not as quick as it used to be.

My single rule that rules them all through MX and now for DH.

Dress for the crash, not the ride!