Water Points ?

benadeja

Water Points , who really uses them for road races ???  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Water Points , who really uses them for road races ???

• Use them
    • Don't use them

Hi there.

I am curios how many of you guys use the water points in the road races ? And by using the water points and giving yourself a minute or two to recover does it really help so much by finishing the race stronger and by making up the time you lost while at the water point , in contrast with pushing through and not stopping at 1 water point and maybe dropping your speed at the end due to fatigue and crawling over the finish line :blush: ?

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks.

Edited by benadeja

Never use them. They should just remove Water Points and give us a extra glass of coke at the finish.

Road or MTB?

Road - dont stop, ever! (2 bottles will last me 120km)

Mtb - occasionally, might stop at the very last waterpoint. (only have space for one bottle on my DS - i dont like those ball sacks on my back)

(Add a poll to your thread)

Edited by Tankman

I have used water points, but it does break the momentum of the ride and it's damn nigh impossible to re-overtake the people you just spent the last hour or two getting past.There are times when a water point has been the most welcome sight in the world - on the Wilde, and the Cape Cobra - my older bikes only carry 1 water bottle.

Do my best never to stop but on the odd occasion I have stopped as I had run out of fluids.

Last year at the Satelite Classic I was part of a small bunch (about 5 of us) as we got to a water point the others decided to stop and I continued. I figured that I would never see them again but I was wrong, they came past me and I could keep up with them.

Then again that was a terrible race for me.

I doubt any of the racing snakes stop but I think majority of the social riders really enjoy the watering points.

I used to stop often when i first started mountain biking. Now i try to make it to the end of a race without stopping (unless its Hill2Hill, 105kms with no stop is impossible!)

I think theyre good things to have because that banana/coke/spud can be a lifesaver if youre having a bad race.

I normally race fast enough to finish with water left in my bottles, so I don't usually use the tables. On the occasions when things have gone wrong, though, they have been the most beautiful places in the world.

I normally race fast enough to finish with water left in my bottles, so I don't usually use the tables. On the occasions when things have gone wrong, though, they have been the most beautiful places in the world.

Exactly. Well said!

mtb - yes, occasionally stop for a breather and my water bottle refill, preferable with Powerade, and slik a cold Coke if there is.

Road - nope, ride with two water bottles. And besides road events after mtb are a walk in the park.

Edited by kosmonooit

On a road bike - if you loose your bunch, you're down by 15 to 20 minutes on the time you could have done.

On a MTB - Stop if you feel you need to. Dehydration will cost you more than the 3 minutes you've spent at the water point. Try not to have a picnic when you stop. Have a system, ie take off helmet and gloves, take off camelback and open water bottle, put race fuel in bottle, and fill both bottle and camelback, eat something (preferably fruit, nuts or a bit of biltong) Put helmet back on as well as gloves. Off you go.

Stopping too long means your muscles cool down, and it is harder to get going again. Rather start off again slowly and build up your pace if you feel like you are struggling. Most of the time it is because you've not been eating properly. If you had something to eat at the waterpoint, you'll soon start to feel better.

Will change if you do the Epic S2S J2S etc. but normal funrides no.

+1 .....I also love the squashy plastic water baggies which you can grab as you ride and crush into your helmet vents and back.....lovely!