Sram GX / XO1 / XX1 12 Speed mileage

ct_rider

Since the cost of these cassettes and chains are expensive...

Has anyone replaced their cassette's / chain? If you have / haven't changed same, what mileage have you covered thus far? 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to replace my 1X MTB chain each 1,500 km. After 3000km my Eagle shows much less wear than 11 speed previously. On the 3,000km / 3rd chain on 11 speed I had to replace the chainring, which was not necessary on Eagle.

GX Chain : 1000km

TAYA Gold 12s : 300km

XO1: 1800km

XX1 : 500km and still no sign of wear. When fitted the Park Tool Chain checker wouldn't fit at 0.0% wear and it still doesn't.

The XO1 eagle cassette has seen all these chains and all chaines were replaced at 0.5% wear. At this point the wear is visible because the chain starts to lift off the 42T and 50T sprockets about half way around the chain wrap.

lesson: buy an XX1 chain. I don't know anyone who is using one that has replaced it yet. I even have on on my road bike now

XO1 Eagle Cassette - just passed 5,000km on it and using 2 chains.

Changed the chains once at around 2,500km and both chains are still under 0.5% wear.

The chains and cassette are cleaned and degreased every week.

Edited by Stupak

GX Chain : 1000km

TAYA Gold 12s : 300km

XO1: 1800km

XX1 : 500km and still no sign of wear. When fitted the Park Tool Chain checker wouldn't fit at 0.0% wear and it still doesn't.

The XO1 eagle cassette has seen all these chains and all chaines were replaced at 0.5% wear. At this point the wear is visible because the chain starts to lift off the 42T and 50T sprockets about half way around the chain wrap.

lesson: buy an XX1 chain. I don't know anyone who is using one that has replaced it yet. I even have on on my road bike now

What group set you have on your road bike? interesting. What percentage wear is it recommended to change the chain? I do not have a chain checker tool / know how it works.

Eagle GX: 4500km's. same cassette / front ring. Swopped the chain at around 3000km. chain at that stage was less than 50% worn. currently on second chain. Clean / lubricate drivetrain after every 50km's of riding. edit: no signs of wear on casette / front ring.

Edited by duanelr

What group set you have on your road bike? interesting. What percentage wear is it recommended to change the chain? I do not have a chain checker tool / know how it works.

Shimano Dura Ace 11speed.

For mtb with 42T and bigger sprocket change at 0.5%wear

For cassette up to 36T sprocket change at 0.75%wear

I recommend the park tool cc-2 chain checker

my xx1 chain on my bling gold cassette is showing no wear on the park tool chain checker thingy - about 900km - that's pretty impressive - I don't clean my bikes much but give my chain and drivetrain a lot of love - personally change chains way too early and it's worked for me.  I use xx1 chains only - not because I'm clever, just because they are shiny

Running on a 3 Chain Cycle per cassette (Meaning swapping chains 1-3 at 0.5, then restarting on the 1st chain and swapping at 0.75 and then an additional 1000km per chain again) 

Currently at 13500km with 2 chains still left to complete their 1000km cycle so should get about 15000km out of the combo and still no slipping gears due to the chains being in sync with the cassette wear :thumbup:

Edited by -cK-

Running on a 3 Chain Cycle per cassette (Meaning swapping chains 1-3 at 0.5, then restarting on the 1st chain and swapping at 0.75 and then an additional 1000km per chain again) 

Currently at 13500km with 2 chains still left to complete their 1000km cycle so should get about 15000km out of the combo and still no slipping gears due to the chains being in sync with the cassette wear :thumbup:

That is a lot of mileage -cK-! what bike / group set you riding?

my xx1 chain on my bling gold cassette is showing no wear on the park tool chain checker thingy - about 900km - that's pretty impressive - I don't clean my bikes much but give my chain and drivetrain a lot of love - personally change chains way too early and it's worked for me.  I use xx1 chains only - not because I'm clever, just because they are shiny

Completely understand the bling factor! seems like the XX1 chain is very strong based on previous comments  :thumbup:

Completely understand the bling factor! seems like the XX1 chain is very strong based on previous comments  :thumbup:

SRAM's chain upgrade to 12 speed was excellent; 11 speed XX1 didn't get the same mileage.

If you are looking for something more subtle they do sell the XX1 12sp chain in black.

Yes it is very strong. It has to be tough to allow the 50T aluminium sprocket of the XO1 and XX1 cassettes to survive. If the chain doesn't wear then the sprocket teeth will last a lot longer. Not indefinitely because wear will happen but thus far long enough to make the outlay of an Eagle drive train really good value for money.

Doesn't matter if you ride, NX Eagle, GX Eagle, X01 Eagle or XX1 Eagle.

GET THE XX1 chain.

using a cheap chain just isn't cost effective anymore.