Chain Reaction boycott

Unicycle

The big question is always,

if CRC is making such a kiling, why don't their competitives do the same? No they would rather remain in their comfort zone and attempt to kill the competitor with complaints.

However the following has happened in RSA, CWCycles saw the gap and "duplicated" CRC in South Africa. Just on chains he matches CRC, and you don't have to pay the customs, exchange risk ext which normally comes to 15-20% of the CRC price, so now I will support CWC for chains specifically.

I hear a rumble, the RSA bike retail sector, did to CWC what the Spanish are trying to do to the Irish, a smear campaign and a launch to change the rules back to the dark ages. However, it won't work as international law is not so easy.

Lastly, I bought an on-one from Kiwi, why? because he is the official importer, meaning I cannot get it cheaper in South Africa by either importing it myself, or getting someone else to do it for me and Kiwi does all the schelp wrt customs ext. Kiwi Planet X rules. Thank you

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thug and Caerus, you guys have been listening to women and SALE talk too much, you guys saved f@ck all. How much did you actually spend? If you saved then the cash would still be in your wallets :o

I saved it too spend on something else, irrespective short a space of time the money was in my wallet for :lol:

Sounds like some sour grapes here. PROFITS are obviously being slashed.

The problem here is that the LBSs appear to be the guys who make the least from the whole deal.

The manufacturers on the other hand make exactly what they calculate they HAVE to make in order to continue with R&D, keep up with technology, employ large amounts of staff, make a profit...etc. etc. Acceptable levels.

Then, into the fray steps the third - and apparently most evil - member of the equation, THE (bloody) AGENT!

Case in point:

Rockshox Monarch 4.2 HV shock:-

CRC price: R1789.63 ZAR (sale)

ZAR prices: Three LBSs

1. 3300.00

2. 3655.00

3. 3800.00

Rockshox Monarch 3.3

CRC price: R 994.21

ZAR prices: One LBS

1. 2800.00

Delivery from CRC to door - 5 days

Delivery from CT AGENT to LBS (sorry we don't bring in 3.3 - FU) - 5 days, and pay the transport charge!

(CRC will be paying the manufacturer the same price as any countries local agents to import into Ireland.)

Let's do another:

Ellsworth Truth SST 2011 frame (from www.wrenchscience.com in US) - USD2,295.00

Add - Shipping - USD 250.00

Exchange Rate (conservative) - USD1.00 = ZAR7.50

Add VAT @ 15%

Landed Cost - ZAR21,950.00 (give or take a few cents)

Buycycle.co.za price - R25,100.00

"Premium" for buying local = R3,105.00 - or 14%

Now this is just one example.

How is it possible that a private individual can import a frame, paying full retail US price and obtaining no economies of scale on shipping and still save 14% on the local price? Rhetorical question but you get the idea... thumbdown.gif

Edited by Nimby

As a European, anything the Spaniards do makes me laugh. They always moan and wine like little puta's about competition, if it was up to them, they would have the world in the dark ages.

I support Chain Reaction, competition is good. If your business is struggling because of the likes of CRC, then you need to buck your ideas up quickly and beat them (not necessarily in price).

blah blah blah .....

Thats about as useful a contribution as a poke in the eye with a sharp stick

havent read all 5 pages but virtually everything I buy from CRC is stuff I cant get here, its not really about price all the time.......they just have a HUGE range......

The problem in this country is definatly NOT the Cycle Shops. As we all know most of the shops will bend over backwards to help a customer get the right equipment at a great the right price.

The problem is with the IMPORTERS. They load thier profit margin on products, wich i have no problem with, but the margins are so high and a cycle shop now must compete and cut eachothers throats to make a sale. You go to a shop who gives you excellant service and expect huge discount but buy on CRC.......

SUPPORT LOCAL AND GET THE IMPORTERS TO DROP PROFIT MARGINS!!!!

The problem in this country is definatly NOT the Cycle Shops. As we all know most of the shops will bend over backwards to help a customer get the right equipment at a great the right price.

The problem is with the IMPORTERS. They load thier profit margin on products, wich i have no problem with, but the margins are so high and a cycle shop now must compete and cut eachothers throats to make a sale. You go to a shop who gives you excellant service and expect huge discount but buy on CRC.......

SUPPORT LOCAL AND GET THE IMPORTERS TO DROP PROFIT MARGINS!!!!

It's also about service, whether its the importer or LBS or both it sucks. I Don't expect my LBS to carry everything, but if I ask them to get I expect it in a week. I bought my daughter a bike via e-mail from one of the bigger Durban shops & specified M647 pedals. They did not have , fair enough, but six weeks later they were still claiming Cool Heat have not yet supplied. I got my money back and CRC supplied them at 40% of the price in 5 days.

The big question is always,

if CRC is making such a kiling, why don't their competitives do the same? No they would rather remain in their comfort zone and attempt to kill the competitor with complaints.

However the following has happened in RSA, CWCycles saw the gap and "duplicated" CRC in South Africa. Just on chains he matches CRC, and you don't have to pay the customs, exchange risk ext which normally comes to 15-20% of the CRC price, so now I will support CWC for chains specifically.

I hear a rumble, the RSA bike retail sector, did to CWC what the Spanish are trying to do to the Irish, a smear campaign and a launch to change the rules back to the dark ages. However, it won't work as international law is not so easy.

Lastly, I bought an on-one from Kiwi, why? because he is the official importer, meaning I cannot get it cheaper in South Africa by either importing it myself, or getting someone else to do it for me and Kiwi does all the schelp wrt customs ext. Kiwi Planet X rules. Thank you

No they are not cheaper on chains...... CRC are cheaper..... way cheaper on chains..... if you buy three and include it in a large order and pay no shipping.

how the hell u gonna get the distributors to drop prices? that's a lonely fight for the LBS, the ones that actually do care for their business, aka their clientele. i wouldnt be surprised if the distributors limit the quantity of items brought in to maintain the high prices. lowish mark up on an expensive item is still a sizable slice of the pie.

I would love to see exactly what sort of stuff everyone's buying via CRC versus what's available locally. i Know of the FR/DH lads and lasses, there is almost zero representation for DH items, despite local stores claiming to be the largest online cycle store and all that BS.

but for the XCers and roadies, it's a different ball game. How many buy from CRC based on cost alone, or for variety's sake alone. It's not hard to imagine that the lower cost will open up avenues to choice or variety. So the question is, how does the LBS address this concern and what do the distributors have to do to ensure the LBS can address market concerns/demands.

On the subject of variety, in my few discussions with at least 3 distributors, I'd have to say their attitude just plain sucks. Terrible terrible manner of dealing with potential clients. Always delays always bullcrap excuses for the delays/inability to timeously keep their promises etc etc. If that's what the LBS has to deal with on a daily basis (and yes, I've seen them suffer the same rubbish mentality when calling to find out why a customer's item is late), then no wonder CRC will thrive, and the LBS will fail.

As a European, anything the Spaniards do makes me laugh. They always moan and wine like little puta's about competition, if it was up to them, they would have the world in the dark ages.

I support Chain Reaction, competition is good. If your business is struggling because of the likes of CRC, then you need to buck your ideas up quickly and beat them (not necessarily in price).

They make orbea...

They make orbea...

The only way forward for the LBS is to cut out the middle man. Do the extra work and I would gladly spend every cent with my LBS, as long as the prices are right. Surely the extra income from having lower prices and more sales will pay for that.