Chain Reaction boycott

Unicycle

or, someone locally follows the CRC business model and goes big on stock and variety by cutting out the distributors and the extra costs associated with a brick n mortar operation, like www.chainreactioncycles.co.za :rolleyes:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

or, someone locally follows the CRC business model and goes big on stock and variety by cutting out the distributors and the extra costs associated with a brick n mortar operation, like www.chainreactioncycles.co.za :rolleyes:

Thats a hard one to have to follow though, I think CWC have got it bang on. :thumbup:

I find it strange that the local shops don't buy bulk consumables from CRC (cassets and chains). At those prices with a fair mark up they will still kick local prices? And have you tried to buy something from shimano directly, they refuse to sell you anything.

I've tried to support local shops. Their service has been horrible, without exception, and their prices have in some cases been double the price of the equivalent item from CRC. At this point I have decided against even servicing my bikes at the LBS because it seems they cannot even get that part right.

Case in point. Selle Italia Yutaak Saddle - Landed cost from CRC R926, shelf price at Cyclelab (only place I could find that saddle) R2098.

If I can't even trust the local shops to service my bikes properly then why would I bother to buy parts there? At the price differences I can afford to keep 2 of everything spare in my garage and it will still be cheaper.

Thats a hard one to have to follow though, I think CWC have got it bang on. :thumbup:

i meant as in CRC opening up a similar warehouse here, like a google or microsoft Point of Presence, to service the southern hemisphere ;)

I think it is not as bad as it seems. How many of us still support our LBS regardless? I buy stuff off CRC and from my LBS so do all my mates. Yes we are all after a bargain but we all need something urgently and where do we find it????

There are guys on the Hub too, that import frames and parts that are way cheaper than the local shops and we all want to support the guy trying to make bit of money.

So go for a ride to clear your mind of all this nonsense and just Chill out. :D :D :D :D

i meant as in CRC opening up a similar warehouse here, like a google or microsoft Point of Presence, to service the southern hemisphere ;)

Ok, Ive thought about that too, would make sense :thumbup:

I go to the local shops to research the product I need and then order from www.chainreactioncycles.com

I go to the local shops to research the product I need and then order from www.chainreactioncycles.com

Is that fair? If the LBS was not there what then?

Is that fair? If the LBS was not there what then?

Yes.... if I can get it there at the same price I will buy from them or else my munnuy goes to the cheapest bidder...... it is a tuff world out there, you may have noticed that???????

... sorry did not read your question properly.... I have purchased form Mozambique and Angola..... then I do my research on the internet, The Hub and other messageboards..... even CRC itself.

Edited by Big H

I first research on the net and then call my LBS and give them the oppurtunity to give me a quote, if they are within 10% I will buy it from them, if not the cheapest bidder wins. Free market rules apply, eat or be eaten, it p1sses me off that often a guy on the other end of a PC gives me better service and values my money more that many LBS's, then they are the first to whinge about lost salesand then run to the distributers and squeal, a bit ironic though, the distributers are often the biggest rip off artists in the business.

CRC service Southern Africa very well as it is. Their centrallised 3.2 billion Euro annual turnover is probably what drives that success. It might not work with a turnover of only a few hundred million rand.

CRC service Southern Africa very well as it is. Their centrallised 3.2 billion Euro annual turnover is probably what drives that success. It might not work with a turnover of only a few hundred million rand.

Shame only a few hundred million turnover :(

Red Bull have recently opened in SA, it was distributed by Melniks in the past. They now operate to Africa, Austarlia and India from SA, a lot of companies are starting to use SA as the gateway to the Southern Hemisphere. We have good logistics and our banking system is one of the best in the world, our technology is also quite good, but most importantly our wharehousing and transport is world class, and when compared to Europe and the USA quite cheap relatively speaking.

Well 2yrs ago they where only doing a few hundred. I was suprised to read that they are only 3-4yrs old