Bib Shorts for Epic

davetapson

Hi All

I'm trying to find out about best bang for buck bib shorts.  

I don't have 8 x R2000 to spend on Assos, so need to find what the
best of the rest is...

One of my mates is singing the praises of First Ascent Endurance bib

shorts. Anyone have any experience of these?  At R420, they're a pretty good price.

For those who have done the epic, is there enough time for shorts to
dry during the course of the race (esp for those of us who won't be
doing the stages in 5hrs each...)

if you get into race village after 15h00 and than wash, no it will not be dry next morning.

choose a day and go to town and look for a dry cleaning/laundry were you put in the R5 coins . (hermanus etc).

Also note that a lot of "followers"/"supporters" is riding from town to town. Asked them to do the washing , and pay them.

Those people can be trusted, because they are one or another support team.

and lastly, I'm convinced its not the shorts or shammy thats going to make the epic hell.

Its how you take care of your BUM itself.

1) Buy a bucket (500ml) speensalf at WPK (+- R15.00)

2) 1 x 200ml spirits

3) 1 x Sambuck salf

4) 1 x Tube Blue Steel

Speensalf every morning before the ride

Blue steel tube in the camelback on route to add at waterpoint 2 and 3

After shower, clean around the bum and sit bone part with spirits

Smeer sambuck salf

... 2 Epics...... Not a single saddlesore or any skin discomfort.popeye2007-10-31 08:06:49

Poepo errrm, Popeye, got the same advice (save for the speensalf) before the Panorama and it works.  But I do think that a comfortable shorts and shammy makes life a bit more bearable.

Just buy three pairs of quality bib-shorts and wash them after each stage. I know of people that have pulled out of the Epic because of raw, bleeding saddle sores. I've seen them bending over in full sight of the riders at medic points during stages to have them treated - screaming in agony!

You spend thousands of rand on an entry, preparation races, bike maintenance etc. Why get all scrooge-like when it comes to shorts for your goal race which you have dedicated months of your life to? Buy one pair a month from now, or ask Father Christmas for assistance...

And here's a good tip: Take a second saddle along. Not the same as the one you start the race with. Different saddles offer different pressure points so can relieve or diminish the onset of chaffing. I took a spare saddle for my one Epic, but didn't have to use it because I had three pairs of quality shorts (Nike) and a Fizik Arione saddle.

If you must buy cheap, First Ascent if the best local brand (cos they're made in China).

Sean, do you then have to "ride" the second saddle "in" so as to speak?  And how did you alternate between your Arione and the other saddle?

Hi All

I'm trying to find out about best bang for buck bib shorts.  

I don't have 8 x R2000 to spend on Assos' date=' so need to find what the
best of the rest is...

One of my mates is singing the praises of First Ascent Endurance bib

shorts. Anyone have any experience of these?  At R420, they're a pretty good price.

For those who have done the epic, is there enough time for shorts to
dry during the course of the race (esp for those of us who won't be
doing the stages in 5hrs each...)

[/quote']

Try the WICKED bibshorts by Castelli. Good value, solid, very comfortable fit bibshorts using the legendary KISS pad. SRP R800.00