Suggestions needed - building MTB track/ramps

_BBi

Hi all' date='

After researhing this for a while now, I just like some input on the types of ramps / obsticales that can be built. Area and materials is not a problem. The land is flat, so I have to build the stuff and cannot use land contours.

I have already laid out a 4 km loop XC course, very cool as it runs next to a river for a stretch.

As part of the XC course I want to build a couple of ramps / log rides / wall rides....

Any cool idea?
[/quote']

It's always nice to have banked corners = lots of speed. Maybe visit Logwood for a couple of ideas? These day's I'm spending most of my time there doing laps of Inner Circle (even though it's not really technical) - it's nice & short, quick to learn, and you can carry lots of speed through the corners.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try these: (Awesome built trails at Glentress near Edinburgh with sequential increasing difficulty of obstacles graded like ski runs, but at a level you don't need all the skillzz to ride).

(Can someone in the WC also please build some of these please - Tokai is getting a bit boring)

Some basic advice (these ramps are not much different than building a road I suppose)

On any basic gravel (earth) structure you have three great enemies and that is water, water and water. Ensure that any structure you build is well drained and protected against runoff water. Plant gras or any vegetative covering on the slopes to ensure erosion does not take place. When you compact the "heaps" berms or any other structure do it in layers and ensure that the moisture content (OMC) is correct. In Engineering we talk of "optimum moisture content". That is the point where there is just enough moisture available in the gravel to ensure that particle interlock takes place to ensure maximum compaction with the least effort. There is a difference betwwen hardness and compaction. When a layer of gravel is compacted properly it becomes impervious to water ingress. A Ha, Our old enemy again..... water. For the layman OMC is measured by taking a handfull of soil and compressing it in your hands. Drop the clod formed from waistheight and if it forms a little soil pyramid on the ground the OMC is OK. Also do not use material that has too much clay in it. This is fun on the MTB when it is wet but your structures will not last and will be difficult to maintain and they will not last.

I hope this will help.

I also have a British MTB mag at home that gives dimensions of ramps to build. I will look for it and scan the pages. PM me with your email address.
Big H2007-11-01 09:42:17

Hog - I will be visiting Logwood this weekend to "borrow" some tips

Big H - Thanks for the info. The soil is clay (dark grey colour) because we stay next to a river. Not sure how that affects it, but in general it keeps the shape of the ramp much better than a more sandy type soil.
_BBi2007-11-01 23:26:29

http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_building/images/ladder_bridge_1.jpg
http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_building/images/ladder_bridge_3.jpg
http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_building/images/wood_3.jpg

DAMMIT GUYS!!!! This reminds me so much of Whistler! I was just getting over my last case of PWBCry(Post Whistler Blues.....a VERY serious disease!!!) You'll know all about it next year Daemon!

#Pete#....try Delvera in Stellies. There's not much at the moment but at least they've started with some woodwork!

20071102_005830_Ride_069.jpg

20071102_005919_Ride_075.jpg

Big H - Thanks for the info. The soil is clay (dark grey colour) because we stay next to a river. Not sure how that affects it' date=' but in general it keeps the shape of the ramp much better than a more sandy type soil.
[/quote']

Yes that will be the case, but it will also react to water. That is why your drainage is so important. In the industry we talk of Plasticity Index or PI. The ideal soil for your puprose would be something with a PI of more than 4 and less than 10. Have it tested somewhere if you feel it is important. Clay that is compacted properly and drained properly can work very well. Problem with clay is that with moisture ingress it swell and then crack when it dries out. This causes ingress of other deliterous matter and water which in turn creates an active crack and that is NOT good.

I will look fior the Mag over the weekend and contact you on Monday.

H

Big H - Thanks for the info. The soil is clay (dark grey colour) because we stay next to a river. Not sure how that affects it' date=' but in general it keeps the shape of the ramp much better than a more sandy type soil.
[/quote']

Are you familiar with Logwood?

I think Logwood has the grey soil in the Inner Vortex and in Maelstrom. The stuff gets VERY hard when dry, and VERY slippery when wet! It's great for flat surfaces, but you may want to look at getting in different soil for berms, because the tyres leave deep tracks in them after rain.

If you want to meet me at Logwood on Sunday morning I can show you what I mean (and show you around if you haven't been there before)

In my last issue of What MTB Uk they had a park and the berms were wood like the northshore stuff. They put some wire mesh over it proberbly to hold it together. They did not use planks but something like 50x50 square poles/beams. Will try and get pics.

Are you familiar with Logwood?

No, but took the trouble to go there on Saturday lunchtime with my 8 year old. I saw what you meant. I have mixed feelings about Logwood. On the negative side, I expected it to be much bigger (more XC) but on the other hand I understand what role it forfill.

PS: my little boy loved it, and we did most of the green and blue routes.

Here is just a selection of photo's of the current state of the route. I have cut down the length to about 3km so I can concentrate to get that completed, I can always extend it later on.

Old part of the route (built a year ago for my 8 year old):

20071104_233236_m_DSC01439.JPG

Water canal crossing:

20071104_233405_m_DSC01442.JPG

Downhill run to the "Bos". I want to add a couple of jumps here / rythm section:

20071104_233542_m_DSC01446.JPG

Enterance to Inniebos:

20071104_233700_m_DSC01483.JPG

Inside the "Bos":

20071104_233813_m_DSC01484.JPG

Water canal crossing:

20071104_233405_m_DSC01442.JPG

Perhaps make a 2nd line of the singletrack that have a gap jump for this section, so you can pick if you want to jump it or ride the bridge.

Here is the article. Hope I don't get sued. Warning, there is 4 pics of about 120k each.

http://www.vukileprops.co.za/pics/trail_05.jpg

http://www.vukileprops.co.za/pics/trail_01.jpg

http://www.vukileprops.co.za/pics/trail_02.jpg

http://www.vukileprops.co.za/pics/trail_03.jpg

http://www.vukileprops.co.za/pics/trail_04.jpg

[

No' date= but took the trouble to go there on Saturday lunchtime with my 8 year old. I saw what you meant. I have mixed feelings about Logwood. On the negative side, I expected it to be much bigger (more XC) but on the other hand I understand what role it forfill.

PS: my little boy loved it, and we did most of the green and blue routes.
[/quote]

Yeah, Logwood isn't great for doing extreme distance. It's good for building skills though. To be fast on the technical stuff takes practice.

What I do like about the setup there is that you can string different tracks together to make one big loop. One of my favourites is:

Start with Green Cathedral > Inner Circle > Top exit > Zombie Birdhouse > Maelstrom > Inner Vortex  > Dam wall exit > Waterworks > Green Cathedral/Inner Circle.

• 3 months later...

Just some feedback on the trail.

Between work and play I have manged to progress a bit with the project. I hope to finish it up by winter this year. I decided to do the layout first and is busy adding features / jumps.

Creating a jump is hard work, but the satisfaction afterwards makes up for it. The only major problem for me was that with the good rains that we had here in Gauteng, the path gets overgrown very quickly, but hopefully after I have completed it, the amount of riding will keep it cleared.