Using only Water when Training or Racing???

Scotticus

One of our strongest riders on the DC this year only drank water - we did a sub 6.

At Swazi this year David and Davidson rode all three days on two bottles of juice (in total)

How these guys do it I have no idea !?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how long you have been training for.

The body adapts over time and can cope with less the more trained it becomes.

When I started out, I always had energy drink on hand. These days only on long races.

Which i think is what's happening in my case, been riding for about 6 months and lost 8kg in the process...So my bonking stage might be close!

Which i think is what's happening in my case, been riding for about 6 months and lost 8kg in the process...So my bonking stage might be close!

Not sure what you mean by "bonking stage might be close". A bonk happens on a particular ride after a certain amount of time in the saddle, when your glycogen levels are totally depleted and your blood sugar levels are at dangerously low levels. With your training, you're most likely adapted quite a bit so that your bonking point is now actually further away than when you first started 6 months ago.

Lower body fat percentage doesn't mean you'll bonk sooner. Top cyclists who are well trained can go forever without bonking compared to someone carrying a little extra around the belly. It's all about adaptation, not about body fat percentage.

Only way to find out where your personal point of no return is, is to get on your bike with water only and start riding. Some people might hit the wall at 2:45, others at 4:00. I personally believe it's a good thing to know, because you'll have a much better understanding of your own body and abilities. That way, you can also control how and when it happens ('controlled experiment') instead of ending up in a death march on a long point-to-point race.

Meezo my friend, you are no where close to bonking. You body will

adapt, which will make you stronger.

I thought of a new plan for 2011. So far I have trained 75% on IDT each time for an hour or just less, use water for it. LSD ride (mtb) and trail riding on weekend I will take either 32GI or Bio Anabolics (both low GI) but only one bottle and that's it. Off course the odd sarmie, and bar will go along, but not always

Will then do the same in races (Half Marathons)

In Marathons as someone else said will take a bar or so along

and longer races (such as Karoo to Coast) will take the sarmie banana etc along

I think the effects of energy drinks and gels are over-rated,

for eg.

Hammer Gel sachet = 90kCal

GU Gel sachet = 100kCal

500ml Powerade = 100 to 106 kCal (depending on flavour!)

Well trained (strong) athlete will use about 1200kCal hour... - I think Spinnekop gave this figure for the argus, but might be incorrect.

which means that if he started the race hungry he would have to munch 12 GU gels an hour to avoid bonking or drink 6l of powerade per hour.

Which means that most of the energy comes from glycogen stores, food in system, fat etc

Edited by Gumpole

I've read research where the human body can only convert about 250 - 280 carbohydrate calories per hour from the liver to muscles. So if you consume any more than that (and note it doesn't matter if its gels or bananas or peanut butter sarmies), the body will not digest it - it will remain in your bowels.

A medium sized banana has about 110 calories in it (similar to a GU - although much better because its a slow release complex carb). This means your body cannot absorb much more than 2 bananas an hour while riding.

I've also read similar stats to what Gumpole quoted in terms of how many calories an athlete will burn in an hour, i.e. 800 - 1,200 per hour.

So we know that it is impossible for us to come close to replenishing our all our glycogen stores we've lost just by drinking or eating carbs. That deficit is made up from one source: your fat reserves.

Again, it's all about how well your body is able to access its fat reserves. That only comes with training and adaptation. Training with water only helps that.

I thought of a new plan for 2011. So far I have trained 75% on IDT each time for an hour or just less, use water for it. LSD ride (mtb) and trail riding on weekend I will take either 32GI or Bio Anabolics (both low GI) but only one bottle and that's it. Off course the odd sarmie, and bar will go along, but not always

Will then do the same in races (Half Marathons)

In Marathons as someone else said will take a bar or so along

and longer races (such as Karoo to Coast) will take the sarmie banana etc along

How has this strategy affected your LSD Rides? Or is it still in the planning?

I only ride with water for any length of 1 day race. I do however take an empty bottle with me, and if I start to feel a bit down or bonk, then I'll put half water, and half coke in the bottle. This does mean I need to get to a water point though.

At the Epic for the last 2 years I rode only on water until the last water point on every day. At that water point I filled my bottle with Energade.

I only ride with water for any length of 1 day race. I do however take an empty bottle with me, and if I start to feel a bit down or bonk, then I'll put half water, and half coke in the bottle. This does mean I need to get to a water point though.

At the Epic for the last 2 years I rode only on water until the last water point on every day. At that water point I filled my bottle with Energade.

and don't you eat as well...

cyfermaster, I'm sure you'll admit if I ask you, you've been training and racing like that for years. In other words, your body has been adapted over a long time to that regimen. As an example, if a noobie entering the epic for the first time tries your format, their wheels would likely fall off by the end of the first day and they'll struggle to get up for day 2.

What I'm trying to say is that people should not read experienced cyclists stories about how they can ride all day, day after day, on water alone, and think they can emulate that. Take me for instance. I'm still trying to get back into this sport after a few years layoff. I know that if I tried to race past 2hrs on water alone, it will end badly for me. I need to know my own limitations and give my body the chance to adapt over time.

I also think age has a role to play. I'm no longer in my twenties. My body does not bounce back from a bonk like it did before. I need to take more care in the fuel I race on (and the steps I need to take during recovery) especially if I want to get up the next day for another session.

Edited by tombeej