Using only Water when Training or Racing???

Scotticus

This question is probably one of those that I kinda know the answer too, but am still a bit unsure and

would like to get a general consensus....

So anyways!

When and/or how often does one train/race with only water to hydrate with, as apposed to an energy drink?

I've seen quite a few cyclist during races and when out training with only water in there bottles.

I understand, that if you're going 20km/h on a flat and not going to break a sweat at all then why not just

hydrate with water....

But on the other hand, there are a hand full of guys that I train with, who can go 80km or 3hrs with only water...

So ja, I'd like to hear your thought on this please!! :unsure:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the length of training or racing... less than an hour of training, water is fine.

Going longer you need to take fuel.

Very easy pace , water is fine because at low intensities you burn fat.

80km, 3 hrs, intensity must be lowish, depends on the fitness...

I train/race with water only regardless of length road/mtb.

I do however on hot days use one sachet of rehidrat in a 500ml bottle, when i think its supposed to be one sachet per 250ml.

However when racing on the road especially i'll take along a chocolate(bar one/jungle oats)....

with all this in mind, i'm a sort of social rider not serious racing(not yet!!! :P :P )

to add to that in the morning of racing it's one bowl of banana pronutro before i leave, and one banana before the race.

Edited by Meezo

Good for losing weight and training your body to burn fat for energy. Ride at an easy pace if you're new to riding like this. Well worth doing once or twice a week.

Those guys who can go 3hrs just on water are well-trained individuals whose bodies are very efficient in tapping into their fat reserves for additional energy stores once their glycogen levels have been depleted in their muscles and liver. Their years of training allows their bodies to maintain blood sugar levels more effectively than untrained individuals.

They might very well be on a 'fat burning' training run. They use only water on purpose in order to force the body to switch to the fat reserves instead of getting everything from the fuel we put into it (Cytomax, etc.). Just drinking good quality drinks all the time makes your body lazy and doesn't allow it to develop that ability to switch efficiently to the fat reserves when needed.

If you're wanting to incorporate that sort of training into your own program, perhaps stick some gels in your hydration pack and have your route pass relatively close to your start point quite regularly (like doing multiple loops) because you'll still be figuring out where your 'point of no return' is, i.e. at what time/distance do you hit full depletion and 'bonk'. The gels might help you to recover enough to make it back to the car, but you don't want to be too far away.

Edited by tombeej

Those guys who can go 3hrs just on water are well-trained individuals whose bodies are very efficient in tapping into their fat reserves for additional energy stores once their glycogen levels have been depleted in their muscles and liver. Their years of training allows their bodies to maintain blood sugar levels more effectively than untrained individuals.

They might very well be on a 'fat burning' training run. They use only water on purpose in order to force the body to switch to the fat reserves instead of getting everything from the fuel we put into it (Cytomax, etc.). Just drinking good quality drinks all the time makes your body lazy and doesn't allow it to develop that ability to switch efficiently to the fat reserves when needed.

If you're wanting to incorporate that sort of training into your own program, perhaps stick some gels in your hydration pack and have your route pass relatively close to your start point quite regularly (like doing multiple loops) because you'll still be figuring out where your 'point of no return' is, i.e. at what time/distance do you hit full depletion and 'bonk'. The gels might help you to recover enough to make it back to the car, but you don't want to be too far away.

Awesome Tip. Note taken.

Good for losing weight and training your body to burn fat for energy. Ride at an easy pace if you're new to riding like this. Well worth doing once or twice a week.

Yeah - I agree... I do all my training with water, unless its gonna be a 4hr ride. Then I'll take some carb drink with and something to munch on for when I start bonking

... or choose a route where all the climbing takes place in the first half of the ride so that you can freewheel most of the way home if you bonk. If you're out on the trails, select a route that has an 'emergency exit', i.e. a nice tar road (preferably down hill) that can take you back to your car.

I ALWAYS use water when training. Training rides between 2.5 and 3 hrs, I take one banana with, and then another for each 30 min training.

For the 100 km road race. two bottles for energy drink and one banana at the start and one in the middle of the race. Bottles will depend on how hot it is!

I also only use water, and ride for about 90 minutes. What would you suggest for my intensity if I want burn fat effectively on suchs short ride? I ride it almost every day though.

Short ride < 1.5 hours...just water + maybe energy bar should do(eg Lap at teak)

Medium ride < 3 - 3.5 hours....hammer perpetuem in bladder(eg 65km loop at van gaalen)

Long ride > 3.5 hours...hammer and 1 samie with nutella and banana(eg Van gaalens to top of breedts and back...105km)

I also only use water, and ride for about 90 minutes. What would you suggest for my intensity if I want burn fat effectively on suchs short ride? I ride it almost every day though.

Wasn't sure, so Googled the question. Picked this up on Wikipedia:

Bonk training

"Bonk training" is an exercise program designed for weight loss. It suggests the following strategy on an empty stomach the first thing in the morning, when glycogen store levels are low: consume coffee or caffeine equivalent to 2 or 3 cups of coffee, run or cycle at a casual pace (60% of max heart rate) for 20–90 minutes, have a normal breakfast right after exercising. Proponents claim this will force the body to "bonk" shortly into the exercise, and subsequently burn more fat to generate the energy. It is not clear how medically sound this idea is; exerting too much energy and "bonking hard," or experiencing severe hypoglycemia, can be dangerous.

So by hydrating with water, you're training your body to efficiently dip into your reserves and

to test your "Point of Bonking". (So we on the same page.)

Would this then also apply to a person whose bodyfat% is fairly low.....?

Bonk training

"Bonk training" is an exercise program designed for weight loss. It suggests the following strategy on an empty stomach the first thing in the morning, when glycogen store levels are low: consume coffee or caffeine equivalent to 2 or 3 cups of coffee, run or cycle at a casual pace (60% of max heart rate) for 20–90 minutes, have a normal breakfast right after exercising. Proponents claim this will force the body to "bonk" shortly into the exercise, and subsequently burn more fat to generate the energy. It is not clear how medically sound this idea is; exerting too much energy and "bonking hard," or experiencing severe hypoglycemia, can be dangerous.

Thanks...it looks like I am working too hard My max Hr is 185, but my ave for the ride is always between 160 and 165, so 85% to 90%. The rest I already do, except I don't drink anything before my ride in the morning.

Bonk training

I tried this once. Remind me never to do this again...(Stomach Problems)