180mm MTB front disc

Sawdust

With my new Zula to be built up this week I was wondering whether it is a good idea to fit a 180mm front brake disc to my wheels instead of the normal 160mm.

I think there might be a weight gain with the disc, the caliper spacer and the fact that it will be the thick Shimano XT disc. I currently have a light weight Aligator disc (160mm) on.

Is it a good idea?

Only consider the choice if you have a fork and hub that accommodates a through axle. There has been failures reported with normal skewers.

I have been riding 180mm rotors on the front for a number of years, no failures of any kind (except perhaps in judgement...)

Fox F100RLC, Rock Shox Reba Team, Fox F100X, all no probs

Skewers, Tune Titanium, Hope blingy ones, XTR, XT all no worries.

You'll notice a massive improvement in power if you've been using Alligator windcutters (which I take it you have) if you change to a 180mm XT. Windcutters have very little surface area.

2 weeks ago I swopped 160mm windcutters for normal 160mm XTs, and I've noticed a pretty pronounced improvement. My brother rides the same brake set as I do (SLX), and I reckon his 180mm pizzacutter on the front has at least 30% more grunt than my 160mm windcutter did.

A reply I received from another forum when researching fitting 180mm rotors on our Mtb Tandem....

Oothers will be able to provide the link but there is a risk that the wheel can be pulled out of the forks with the torque of a big disk brake and the position of the dropouts on some forks when a quick release is used. With a bolt through axle this problem does not exist.This has happened and design of fork dropouts- position of the caliper- size of the disc all come into it. This means that a conventional quick release must be really tight to stop this happening- hence causing a failure in some quick releases. I never had the wheel come out of any fork with disc brakes but I have snapped Quick release skewers by overtightening. My own experience with quick releases and other reports of wheel twisting out of dropouts, then the fact that we are now talking Tandems with more powerful brakes than most- means that I, along with many others, do not want to take a chance. There is also the situation where fork manufacturers have limited warranty to the size of the disc fitted on some of their models. I know that when I wanted to fit 200mm discs on my Marzochhis I contacted the Concessionaire and I was OK with the forks that I had, and that was with a quick release. The UK concessionaire would give me a good deal if I wanted to upgrade to bolt through axle- AND it was a very good deal.

Opened up a can of worms here, but others will be be able to confirm or contradict my thoughts on the subject.

We did eventually use skewers on our fork with the 180mm rotors. A lot depends on the aggressiveness of your riding style style. Also contact your fork manufacturer, they will have very definite guidelines on your proposed upgrade.

running 185's with no problems

great stopping power for a few extra grams that you'll never feel.

best upgrade you could do for brakes

go for it

have got 185mm rotors front and rear and have never had any issues.nearly threw myself over the bars first time i used them tho!awesome stopping power too.dont think you will be making a mistake if you choose to run the 185mm's

Cool, then I will go ahead and go for the 180mm discs. I'll keep an eye on the front quick release and maybe tighten them slightly more. Thanks for the advice and the possible dangers!

Possible dangers?? I stopping on a dime a danger these days?

I run a 203mm (XT & XTR) rotor up front with a 180mm (XT & XTR) at the back, tend to leave my braking to the last second and have had no issues.

As for skewers I've run, KCNC, XTR and Hope with zero issues.

Go for it and never look back!

Edited by Thumper

Cheapest upgrade to your brakes

My spark has 185mm standard and I upgraded my hardtail as well so all my wheels are interchangeable

The slight weight is negligible and the performace gain far outweighs it

Went from Avid G2 160mm to XT 180mm rotors - huge gains. Also one of the reasons I am constantly being flung over the bars.

Go for it brother.

Most of your braking power is in the front. You will be able to modulate better and stop quicker.

There was a thread about skewers a few days back. Check it out.

Basically try and use closed cam skewers,with steel teeth on the acorn and check their tightness reqularly.

All modern forks have a lip (lawyers lips) on the dropout to avoid a sudden removal of the front wheel.

You should feel something is up long before the skewer is loose enough to overide those.

Try and use a rotor with plenty meat on it. Braking is all about surface friction. Bugger the 'weight gain'.

I run 205 up front and qr and am pretty aggressive in my braking, and I've never had a problem. I do however check my qr's before each ride, and I'll only use shimano qr.

Go for it brother.

Most of your braking power is in the front. You will be able to modulate better and stop quicker.

There was a thread about skewers a few days back. Check it out.

Basically try and use closed cam skewers,with steel teeth on the acorn and check their tightness reqularly.

All modern forks have a lip (lawyers lips) on the dropout to avoid a sudden removal of the front wheel.

You should feel something is up long before the skewer is loose enough to overide those.

Try and use a rotor with plenty meat on it. Braking is all about surface friction. Bugger the 'weight gain'.

Ever had a skewer snap while cycling...... very scary and the will not be able to clean you with a high pressure hose...... and that aluminium taste takes three days to get out of your mouth!!!!!!!