What is your take on lube?

andretraut

Any comments on White Lightning's Clean Ride. Been using it for a while, chain stays nice and clean but the wax accumulates on the jockey wheels and around the chainrings.

Based on what I've read here I'm going to try some Purple Extreme on my road bike.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any comments on White Lightning's Clean Ride. Been using it for a while, chain stays nice and clean but the wax accumulates on the jockey wheels and around the chainrings.

Based on what I've read here I'm going to try some Purple Extreme on my road bike.

Use to use as my LBS swears by it, but I had the same problem with the jockey wheels and chainrings. My mistake was I always applies too much and never gave the lube chance to dry (I use to lube before I ride).

Personally I want to try Purple Extreme and ChainL

My million dollar question is. WHY DOES LUBE GO BLACK AND STICKY? Is it due to accumulation of dirt. ( not mentioning those that contain graphite, which is black when applying ) Motor engine oil does it due the carbon collected from exhaust gasses. Are the oils that “stay clear” for longer not then better? ( collecting less dirt?)

Eish. so much to learn!

:blink: :unsure:

Hi Guys

For those that really take the quality of the lube they use seriously take a minute and read this: About Chain-L

I will try to shed some light on the pros and cons of a wet lube.

Dry Lube:

Does it run cleaner and why is clean important?: If you apply wet lube properly, it can be almost as clean and should never splatter oil over your bike-most people use to much wet lube and do not wipe it down properly after application. A long lasting lube will become cleaner as you dry wipe the chain after a few rides and the chain will still be lubed on the inside.

Not waterproof: after a few river crossings, the chain start creaking as all the 'lube' inside the chain is washed away. Do not use when raining!

Needs frequent re-application: This is not necessary when using a good wet lube like Chain-L, Rock and Roll. I do not like stopping every 30 kms for a chain lube.

Use more lube: in the long run you will use more lube and the total cost will be cheaper using a long lasting wet lube.

Wet Lube:

Can be used for 1000 plus km on a road bike and a week (or more- +- 200km) on a mtb in Stellenbosch area (dusty dry at the moment). Chain will still run smooth.

No need to re-apply after avery ride or even mid ride.

Prevents wear and tear more efficiently than a dry lube.

Can be used on dry and wet rides.

Application: the trick is in the application and if done properly, your chain will be relatively clean, well lubed for much longer, water resistant, dust proof, quiet, last longer-less w&t.

See application instrutions

Also read some reviews!

And by the way: Chain-L (2 years in a row) and Rock and Roll (which are both wet lubes) are the only lubes to receive awards from MTBR website

Edited by Chain-L