What is your take on lube?

andretraut

nom nom nom mutton(not lamb as most restaurants sell as mutton :() is my favourite yum !

I buy both mutton and lamb each month as it all depends on what I want to do with it. And I prefer mine to come from Colesburg (Klein Karoo) or Calvina region, don't like the Springbok-Upington meat.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that is annoying is that I cannot get a big bottle of Squirt (or any other lube). These little bottles cost too much!

I read a blog about some LBS in the UK selling the 1L squirt to the public. It was about twice the price of the small bottle. Apparently the 1L is reserved for the LBS mechs only.

Been a addict of Motorex and Finish line all my life.

Then suddenly - on whim - decided to try squirt this summer season.

My first impression - after ~200odd kms on dusty tracks...the stuff is not too bad!! :thumbup:

I think the major issue is the way you apply it (and all lubes for that matter) - cbrundson hit the nail on the head... it's only the inside of the roller that really NEEDS the lube!!

I'm going to experiment with a combo of finish line & squirt. First the finish line to get to that hard-to-reach inner rollers and then next morning some squirt to cover the rest....squirt drier very nicely, so there is no repeated wiping needed.

I liked the way that the chain stays dry with squirt and no apparent dry chain sqeuaks; wear etc. AND i gotr to finish 50kms on one good application!! No real need to carry the stuff with you??

I buy both mutton and lamb each month as it all depends on what I want to do with it. And I prefer mine to come from Colesburg (Klein Karoo) or Calvina region, don't like the Springbok-Upington meat.

mate of mine has a farm in the Klein Karoo and he brings me back mutton ever time he travels im never short on my supply and it is 100% better then the stuff we get at local super markets.

Squirt---------eastern cape, former western cape, 60 000 plus km over the years on squirt lube, never looked back

Mostly Pedro's Synlube - Got a good deal at Solomons so I thought I would try it...not bad at all :thumbup: (not as messy as motorex)

Finish line wet lube - When it really muddy, like it was recently in GP

Squirt - When I am doing a dry/dusty course like breedts

mate of mine has a farm in the Klein Karoo and he brings me back mutton ever time he travels im never short on my supply and it is 100% better then the stuff we get at local super markets.

Agree. I get from a local butcher that who sources from his family in Calvina (actually it was why he opened up the business to sell his brothers meat when there was an oversupply in the market years ago). The meat is in another league and ironic that its often cheaper than super markets.

Atraut, where did you get the Purple Extreme? I have been using Squirt and White Lightning for years and wouldn't mind giving Purple Extreme a bash (after your assesment).

Hi Scultura Rider, I got my Purple Extreme from Action Cycles in Waterkant Str Cape Town CBD. Sells for R125, (compared to R90 for Rock 'n Roll) but I think it is really worth it, as it lasts long and keeps the chain nice and clean. Best kept for your favourite bike!

Hi Scultura Rider, I got my Purple Extreme from Action Cycles in Waterkant Str Cape Town CBD. Sells for R125, (compared to R90 for Rock 'n Roll) but I think it is really worth it, as it lasts long and keeps the chain nice and clean. Best kept for your favourite bike!

Cool, I know where they are :thumbup: .

Will pop in there before the weekend. Thanks a million :clap:

I don't get how a wax lube actually lubes the inner-links on a chain. Please explain ?

Dry Lube is light viscosity with a mixture of liquids and wax that allow it easily penetrate your inner chain. The liquids evaporate leaving behind the wax. This is why its important that you do it 30 minutes before you ride.

Dry Lube is light viscosity with a mixture of liquids and wax that allow it easily penetrate your inner chain. The liquids evaporate leaving behind the wax. This is why its important that you do it 30 minutes before you ride.

Ok so that's why it runs so clean, but how does the wax make the chain run smooth, is it like grease almost ?

Ok so that's why it runs so clean, but how does the wax make the chain run smooth, is it like grease almost ?

Well to reduce friction you want something to have a high viscosity and thats why the wax works well (its low viscosity in its liquid form). A good synthetic wet lube will also be thick (high) viscosity.

But from personal experience I find wet lube lasts 3-5 times longer than dry lube on a chain.

Also the other important purpose of your lube is to keep the dirt out, thats why wax works so well and why some thinner, low viscosity wet lubes fail.

Actually lab tests show that a lubbed and non-lubbed chain perform identical when clean, but soon as your introduce dirt thats when the wear occurs.