What bike to get to improve ..........

Teardrop

Then you'll be crap on the flats and downs and people will point and laugh and think you're a girl ;)

'Everyone can race the flats and the downs, train for the hills' Dangerous Dan circa 1991

Hey Big Boy, I was going to ignore your stupid remark about a compact crank, but then I thought wtf, what bullsh*t is this, why the f*ck would people point and laugh. Just because they point and laugh at you? Nothing wrong with a compact crank setup dude, you ride what you wanna ride.By the way, my Tarmac S-Works is fitted with a compact crank, and it suits my style perfectly. Point and laugh at me and people will think that you are going nuts and are probably hysterical!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What bike do you currently ride ?

I've ridden a few different makes of bikes and to me they almost all the same.

The engine is what is important.

Add hill repeats & intervals to your weekly training and I bet you that you'll improve.

I agree hill training is the way to go. After getting seriously battered at the Cobra and having to get off my bike 100 meters from the finish with cramp in 6 different places, I hit the hills with intent and managed a sub 3.10 at the 99er which was a nice surprise for me.

But back to 'what about the bike..' I ride a 9.5 kilo Trek 1500 with entry level wheels etc. When I look across at my fellow riders I kind of think that they are doing it a bit more easily with their light bikes and fast looking wheels. By upgrading to say a higher spec 7.5 kilo bike would it just be the 2 ks I am losing in bike weight aiding performance or would a stiffer frame (mine does wobble a bit when accelerating) and better wheels also add to performance v power output improvement?

Nothing like training to help you improve.

Agreed, no bike will improve your ability above what a managed training program will :D

Hi Teardrop.

Please give us a call or pop in at our shop in Tygervalley. I am sure that should you want to buy a new frame or components then we will make sure that you get the best advice and price in the country. Please call Chris jnr and setup a time even if it is after work and discuss your problems with him.

You could be my twin :thumbup:

My measurements were:-

1,74cm

81kgs

Not a lot of fat

Climbed like a lung shot buffalo.

After losing 5kgs and riding 17 hours a week, I am able to climb with my friends whose climbing abilities I have always envied.

I ride a 53/39 with 11 -25 cluster.

Can't believe that, you look lighter than me.

Hi Teardrop.

Please give us a call or pop in at our shop in Tygervalley. I am sure that should you want to buy a new frame or components then we will make sure that you get the best advice and price in the country. Please call Chris jnr and setup a time even if it is after work and discuss your problems with him.

Now this is how you do business!clap.gif

At the moment I ride a specialize raubix 2004. Upgraded parts from 105 to dura ace. Have a bontager race lite crank 53/39 with 50mm Carbon clinchers.

Bike tends to squeeck and creek when I climb and excellerate had, That is also an indication that I need a new frame or bike :D

Hi Teardrop.

Bit difficult as I am situated in JHB and have had dealling with CWC, not the best I ever had

:lol: :lol:

Must be that tjerrie of yours.

That's the climber I have to try and keep up with during Jhb2C.