EF Education-EasyPost : Chirps, Opinions, Updates

'Dale

Ivan Basso (Liquigas-Cannondale) has put his recent indifferent form down to the fact that he has raced early and often this season. The Italian is currently competing at the Tour de Romandie, where he continues his build-up to the Tour de France.

“I started in January when I rode the Tour de San Luis in Argentina,” Basso told L’Équipe. “I’ve racked up racing days without ever being totally relaxed because a rider of my stature is always a little at the centre of attention.”

Basso took victory at the GP Lugano in February and was present near the front throughout Tirreno-Adriatico. However, he failed to make an impact at the Volta Catalunya and was forced to abandon the Tour of the Basque Country, citing illness.

“I didn’t have any feeling,” Basso explained. He subsequently completed Flèche Wallonne and Liège-Bastogne-Liège in 50th and 72nd place respectively. After beginning his season with the intention of picking up a series of victories in the spring, Basso now admits that his sole focus is on preparing for the Tour de France.

“My body finished up by saying ‘stop’ and my sole concern from now on is to get my approach to the Tour back on track,” he said.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, ma man Basso is ageing.

Take it easy, Ivan.

Ask Lance - preparing is different and maybe more subtle than the late twenties and early thirties.

Liquigas-Cannondale brings a squad loaded with firepower in a bid to defend its Giro d’Italia crown.

It will be up to Vincenzo Nibali to carry the team colors after defending champion Ivan Basso decided to skip the Giro in order to prepare exclusively for the Tour de France. Third last year at the Giro and a winner at the Vuelta a España, Nibali will be one of the top favorites for victory.

“We have prepared for the event in the best way. We are motivated and aware of the challenge before us,” said sport director Alberto Volpi. “It’s a hard route full of pitfalls. The crucial week will be the last, loaded with rugged climbs. None of the stages can be underestimated. I am convinced until the last day the Giro will not be decided.”

Volpi said the team has one goal: to win the pink jersey again. To reach that end, the squad brings a balanced team designed to work for Nibali in all terrain. Fabio Sabatini will have some freedom to try his luck in the bunch sprints, but for the rest, it’s all for “Vince Nibbles.”

“We want to support Nibali in every type of stage, from the flats to the mountains. Everyone knows their role and will be prepared,” Volpi said. “We have three excellent climbers with Capecchi, Salerno and Szmyd. Everyone will be there to support Vicenzo.”

Liquigas-Cannondale for Giro d’Italia: Vincenzo Nibali, Valerio Agnoli, Eros Capecchi, Tiziano Dall’Antonia, Alan Marangoni, Fabio Sabatini, Cristiano Salerno, Sylwester Szmyd, Alessandro Vanotti

Liquigas-Cannondale brings a squad loaded with firepower in a bid to defend its Giro d’Italia crown.

It will be up to Vincenzo Nibali to carry the team colors after defending champion Ivan Basso decided to skip the Giro in order to prepare exclusively for the Tour de France. Third last year at the Giro and a winner at the Vuelta a España, Nibali will be one of the top favorites for victory.

“We have prepared for the event in the best way. We are motivated and aware of the challenge before us,” said sport director Alberto Volpi. “It’s a hard route full of pitfalls. The crucial week will be the last, loaded with rugged climbs. None of the stages can be underestimated. I am convinced until the last day the Giro will not be decided.”

Volpi said the team has one goal: to win the pink jersey again. To reach that end, the squad brings a balanced team designed to work for Nibali in all terrain. Fabio Sabatini will have some freedom to try his luck in the bunch sprints, but for the rest, it’s all for “Vince Nibbles.”

“We want to support Nibali in every type of stage, from the flats to the mountains. Everyone knows their role and will be prepared,” Volpi said. “We have three excellent climbers with Capecchi, Salerno and Szmyd. Everyone will be there to support Vicenzo.”

Liquigas-Cannondale for Giro d’Italia: Vincenzo Nibali, Valerio Agnoli, Eros Capecchi, Tiziano Dall’Antonia, Alan Marangoni, Fabio Sabatini, Cristiano Salerno, Sylwester Szmyd, Alessandro Vanotti

Go Liquigas - can`t wait for the Giro to start. Nibali to take it!!

I havent seen much on Capecchi but Salerno, and especially Szmyd are very good climbers, but nowhere near the level of Kreuziger who supported Nibali to a Vuelta win last year.

I will be rooting heavily for Nibali, I think he is a worthy challenger but I think he will have his work cut out, 'Berto is gunning for a win, Scarponi nearly took the Vuelta and can match Nibali in the mountains, as can Joaquin Rodriguez, the mountain goat duo of Rujano and Emmanual Sella could also be serious threat and no-one is talking about Dennis Menchov, as a past winner he cant be discounted, plus he has a good team of Cobo and Sastre to assist.

....but all that aside, I think he is up to it, I expect him on the podium somewhere, I would like it to be top spot but I'll be happy for him in any of the three podium positions.

Well, well, well...

Cool effort by ma team:

3rd spot behind surprize package 'Shack and the impeccable HTC-Highroad.

http://cdn2.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net//2011/05/07/2/bettiniphoto_0079814_1_full_600.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Liquigas man Ted King before the start of the Amgen Tour Of Cali.

Brrrrrr!!

http://cdn0.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2011/05/16/1/jd11tocstg1001_600.jpg

"Naturally, we're all disappointed that the weather dictated the way the stage unfolded. Or didn't, rather. But I'm pleased to see level-headedness prevailed over a dangerous freak show. Just driving from South to North Tahoe was wild. Sure, the roads were dry initially, but cars skidding off the road and accumulating 2 3, 4-plus inches... just doesn't make sense. We're professional athletes. We're brothers, fathers, and sons. We're family. We want to race. But let safety rule over insanity."

Ted King, Liquigas at the start in the mix below.

http://cdn2.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2011/05/16/2/jd11tocstg1023_600.jpg

2nd spot for Liquigas-Cannondale in Stage 2 of the Tour Of Cali...

Peter Sagan - cool!

http://cdn2.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net//2011/05/17/2/jd11tocstg2027_600.jpg

AI, MA MAN...

DID NOT NEED ANY MORE SETBACKS...

::::::::::::::::

Ivan Basso (Liquigas-Cannondale) suffered a crash while training on Mount Etna on Tuesday morning, but the Italian’s participation in the Tour de France is not in doubt.

Basso fell and hit his face and right shoulder against the road. Accompanied by directeur sportif Paolo Slongo, he was taken immediately for treatment in Liguaglossa, where he received 15 stitches to his right cheek and his right eyebrow, on the supeciliary arch.

The accident came after Basso caught his rear wheel in a drain cover while taking a corner.

“I got a real fright because the impact was violent and, above all, in a delicate place like the face,” Basso said. “Fortunately I was given attention very quickly and the x-ray ruled out the worst. I could have done without this incident but certainly it will not stop my preparation for the Tour. I will get back on course again gradually in the coming days.”

• 2 weeks later...

http://cdn2.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2011/04/23/1/10_600.jpg

Almost ten days after his accident on the slopes of Mount Etna, Ivan Basso is back training with his Liquigas-Cannondale team in preparation for the Tour de France. Still suffering from the 15 stitches he received to facial injuries after the fall, Basso is gradually increasing his hours on the bike since last Friday, and slowly coming back to the level of form he had prior to the crash.

"Ivan's fitness is getting better every day," said sports director and trainer Paolo Slongo from the team's training camp in Sicily, due to end this Saturday. "But we don't want to force things. Gradually, he has been back on the bike for short and not very intensive rides. There is no need to create too much stress at the moment: Ivan will soon come back to his initial programme."

Basso admitted that he is already putting a lot of pressure on himself without the squad having to push him. "I have great desire to get back into the rhythm, but I don't want to generate any complications," he said on the team's website. "It's all but easy to head out with the stitches in my face. I'm doing my utmost not to lose too much time. I hope my injuries will heal soon and that I can take up my training programme again in view of the Tour."

STAGE 18 To The Team In Green!!!

15:50:14 BST

1 Eros Capecchi (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale

2 Marco Pinotti (Ita) HTC-Highroad

3 Kevin Seeldraeyers (Bel) Quickstep Cycling Team

4 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Colnago - CSF Inox

5 Paolo Tiralongo (Ita) Pro Team Astana

Breaking the drought!

http://cdn0.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net//2011/05/26/1/bettiniphoto_0082351_1_full_600.jpg

http://cdn1.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2011/05/26/2/1306289539061_qvbuuiriha5j_800_75_600.jpg

Nibali's machine... :drool: