Thoughts on the Specialized Eipc Comp

AndrewF

Hey Hubbers.

I want some assistance in deciding whether this bike is for me. I am 6foot 3. Weigh +- 80kgs. I have currently been riding since last July on a Commencal Meta 5.5 ('07) that I got second hand. Loved the bike, but just finding it heavy for the riding I have ended up doing - mostly XC type stuff. I ride the Spruit a lot as well as Northern Farm and Teak Place. Have also done Breedts Nek and some other places. The Commencal is bomb proof, but at 15.3kgs it's a beast to climb with.

Please give me your thoughts on the Specialized Epic Comp 2010. As I have a great opportunity to get one. Thanks in advance!

The model I am talking about is the '09 -'10 model.

Specs:

Fork: Fox F100 RL

Shock: Fox/SBC remote Mini-Brain

Shifters: SRAM X-7, aluminum trigger

Brakes: Custom Avid Elixir R SL

F/D: Shimano M660 SLX

R/D: SRAM X-9, 9-speed, mid cage

Crank: Custom Shimano FC-M542

Wheels: Custom DT Swiss X420SL

Things I've heard - Avid brakes aren't great. Neither are the custom DT Swiss wheels (lower quality).

What are you're thoughts around the brain system? How best do you set it?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!

post-17210-0-98980700-1298466019.jpg

Nothing wrong with Avid brakes!

Had them on 2 of my bikes and never had an issue...had mor crap with my previous bikes brakes which were xt.

Nothing wrong with Avid brakes!

Had them on 2 of my bikes and never had an issue...had mor crap with my previous bikes brakes which were xt.

Thanks Santa

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Avid brakes.

As for the wheels - Teammate rode those wheels through an Epic/J2C/Transbaviaans among others. They will handle almost everythong you can throw at it...

I ride the 09 model, same spec. Only do XCM. Had several XC bikes before, this one is the best so far. Avid Elixir's are great, X9 RDR not so good (upgraded to X0), DT Swiss 420s heavy but durable. Found the standard Specialized tyres to have thin sidewalls, changed to Conti USTs.

Two considirations:

Do you want value for Money (lets say R25,000)

Do you ride a very hard bike

Firstly, Spezilized is riding ""hard"", meaning, its almost hardtail like

Secondly, You will get 30% more value from a Scott Spark or Anthem

So, yes the frame is spez.... the components all the same.

So what do you want?

For that you most proable get full XT on a scott or antham

Even XTR 's on some 2010 models

Dont just look at the frame name/ brand.

Edited by popeye

Two considirations:

Do you want value for Money (lets say R25,000)

Do you ride a very hard bike

Firstly, Spezilized is riding ""hard"", meaning, its almost hardtail like

Secondly, You will get 30% more value from a Scott Spark or Anthem

So, yes the frame is spez.... the components all the same.

So what do you want?

For that you most proable get full XT on a scott or antham

Even XTR 's on some 2010 models

Dont just look at the frame name/ brand.

Thanks Popeye.

To put things into perspective; I'll only be forking out around R18k for this bike - brand new

I have 2010 Epic Expert and it is a great bike!

-

The expert is carbon right? I think it's quite a jump in range of bike from the comp. Isn't the comp the bottom range Epic? Would love an S-Works, but holy cow on price :o

Awesome bike!!

I have the 2009 Model (Black with red) same specs and absolutely love it!!

Nothing wrong with the brakes!!! I do agree that the Specialized tyres are crap - well maybe for the type of riding I do - sharp rocks and lots of "dorings" -replaced them with Conti Mountain King and Race King combo - 1600km puncture free!

I think the Brain system is fantastic. I had it set up by bike shop 2 years ago and haven't touched it since. They check it when the bike is serviced.... :blush: :blush:

I don't agree with @popeye - the bike is not hardtail like!! It can be set up almost any way you like. The brain system allows you to climb almost as if on a hardtail because there is no or very little bobbing up and down.( Check out videos on Youtube on how it works exactly) -this is my experience of the system and by no means fact! Becomes a fantastic full suspension on the downhills and rough stuff! :D :D

I is definitely not as "soft" as an Anthem or Spark, but having tried all three, I am sticking with my Epic! :clap: :clap:

post-12957-0-05693600-1298474124.jpg

Edited by Cannas

Awesome bike!!

I have the 2009 Model (Black with red) same specs and absolutely love it!!

Nothing wrong with the brakes!!! I do agree that the Specialized tyre were crap - well maybe for the type of riding I do - sharp rocks and lots of "doring" -replaced them with Conti Mountain King and Race King combo - 1800km puncture free!

I think the Brain system is fantastic. I had it set up by bike shop 2 years ago and haven't touched it since. They check it when the bike is serviced.... :blush: :blush:

I don't agree with @popeye - the bike is not hardtail like!! It can be set up alsmost any way you like. The brain system allows you to climb almost as if on a hardtail because there is no or very little bobbing up and down.( Check out videos on Youtube on how it works exactly) -this is my experience of the system and by no means fact!

I is definitely not as "soft" as an Anthem or Spark, but having tried all three, I am sticking with my Epic! :clap: :clap:

Thanks Cannas!

That really lifted me after Popeye's post :D I'd be getting the bike with a tubless conversion with Crossmark LUST tyres so reckon they would do fine for the riding do. I must say that riding the Commencal has gotten me used to bob, but sure would love to hit a mean hill and not have to deal with it anymore - plus the 3.4kgs lighter will be awesome!

Thanks again

-

The expert is carbon right? I think it's quite a jump in range of bike from the comp. Isn't the comp the bottom range Epic? Would love an S-Works, but holy cow on price :o

I bought mine in the USA and you get a Comp and Expert with Alu or Carbon frames. I have the 2010 Alu Test bike (black and red version)

Awesome bike. I have a specialized Epic comp. Started out standard, but completely changed over the last year. No Problems. You cannot go wrong.