Tour Of SA: Favourite Things

'Dale

Bravest Moment: Christian House's long distance lone break on Stage 1.

Best Power Moment: Lil powerhouse Darren Lill leaving everyone in the wake of the Cannondale to win the toughest stage up Old Helz.

Favourite Route: PE to George for its sheer beauty.

Well done, Cell C, for stepping up as sponsor in tough financial times.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bravest Moment: Christian House's long distance lone break on Stage 1.

Best Power Moment: Lil powerhouse Darren Lill leaving everyone in the wake of the Cannondale to win the toughest stage up Old Helz.

Favourite Route: PE to George for its sheer beauty.

Well done, Cell C, for stepping up as sponsor in tough financial times.

1. Wasn't brave. They fully expected to be caught.For me it was the point that showed the complete in-experience of the local teams. Well done to House for making it work, but it was nothing less than a gift.

2. Agree. Now will Arnie and Phil stop calling Li'l Darren a sprinter?

3. The route needs serious attention in my opinion. One tough stage and the rest was like watching the tour of Qatar.

4. Well done CellC. Please take something good from this year and do it again. Hire some professionals and make it an end to end success.

Quite a bit I enjoyed, just the fact that we managed to host an international tour and see some good racing.

Stage 2 was an unfortunate occurrence and needs to be properly looked at, but over all a great tour.

Think some hard lessons need to be applied for next year, unfortunately many things happened at the last minute this year with the sponsor coming on board and Alec Lenferna, who is the guy to be organising an event like this. With the commitment for next year we shouldn't see some of the mishaps.

Possibly worthwhile bringing in a tour operator to deal with the logistics of the teams, accommodation, travel etc

Was great seeing some really different brands and serias pimp gear. Also speaking to some of the guys from overseas who were really loving it here and hoping to return. Even to Joburg ;)

My favorite part was just being part of it...being out on the routes...meeting Phil Liggett, listening to Andrew on race radio, seeing the riders and some of the team managers up close, both in action and prepping before, checking out the tactics and hearing their side of the story.

The fact that it actually happened.

I was very sceptical it was even going to happen, and am very happy to say I was comprehensively proved wrong.

Apart from stage 2 ('nuf said) I watched all the racing and it was fab. The organisation was a little amateurish at times (is it unfair to compare it to the TdF, TDU or Giro?), but I am sure 2012 will be even more of a humdinger! Let's hope this year's lessons are well learnt.

I'm counting down ready....

Edited by jmaccelari

The fact that it actually happened.

I was very sceptical it was even going to happen, and am very happy to say I was comprehensively proved wrong.

Apart from stage 2 ('nuf said) I watched all the racing and it was fab. The organisation was a little amateurish at times (is it unfair to compare it to the TdF, TDU or Giro?), but I am sure 2012 will be even more of a humdinger! Let's hope this year's lessons are well learnt.

I'm counting down ready....

You can't ready compare it to the Tour de France...I know we will because that's all we know really...but the TDF is a Grand Tour with huge budgets, and this is a UCI 2.2 which is a different ballgame in so many departments. Kristian House who won doesn't even have his sights set on TDF.

I think a decent platform has been set to grow and build from. And local riders now have something big to aim for on home soil.

You can't ready compare it to the Tour de France

No. Rather compare it to the Rapport Toer, the Hansom Tour, the Giro Del Capo. Against those, it was very poor. The organisers, CSA, have a long way to go. Is Raoul De Villiers still alive?

No. Rather compare it to the Rapport Toer, the Hansom Tour, the Giro Del Capo. Against those, it was very poor. The organisers, CSA, have a long way to go. Is Raoul De Villiers still alive?

LOL maybe you should volunteer to organise it.

LOL maybe you should volunteer to organise it.

CSA spend too much money on pools to be able to afford me.

The tour in the end I thought was pretty good considering. Today's stage I thought was boring as hell for the most part, why didn't they ride into Cape Town or at least closer to Cape Town. The only thing I heard Arne say about Paarl was that it was the 2nd biggest industrial area in the Cape?

Hopefully next year they'll have sorted out the camera issues and we'll get to watch every day on tv instead of just highlightes.

aggenee - what were the camera issues? You mean you didn't see me on TV scrambling on the back of the service bakkie like a sunburned bobbejaan?

Phil's commentry, he came across as someone that did his homework on all the riders and knew their history. The orgs for getting it right after the shambles of day 2. Watching the numerous breaks albeit most came to nought.