Tour Of SA: Favourite Things

'Dale

Useful article from bicycling.co.za:

Worked

1 Big Sponsor

Getting Cell C on board as the main sponsor really turned this into more than just a revival of the Rapport Tour. It gave the race it’s own identity, made the public take the race more seriously and made the pessimists realise that this was real.

2 Strong International Field

Although they were not the Saxo Banks or Radioshacks of the Tour de France, the international teams that rode the tour were still of a high calibre, especially considering that an international rider took the yellow jersey, and an Italian team got the most stage wins. These teams brought a higher level of cycling to the country, which can only improve the standard of our local teams.

3 Showing Off The Best of The Country

While the routes may not have been testing to the riders, they still were beautiful. The organisers and route planners should be applauded for planning routes that showcased the beauty of the country.

4 Top Organisation

Apart from the traffic incidents, there were few other problems at the tour. It was well organised and professionally run.

5 Well Publicised

Excellent crowd support at the finish venues, suggested that the event was well publicised in those areas.

Didn’t Work

1 live coverage

Before we point out this flaw, it must be said that the live TV coverage of the final stage was a big improvement on that of the first. However a lack of coverage in between was a problem, with twitter being the only means of live feedback.

2 Defensive Tactics

The mere fact that Kristian House led the race from start to finish, with practically the same time difference, reflects badly on the SA teams. In six and a half days of racing there was only one real attack on House's lead, and that was snuffed out in controversial fashion. This was a short tour, and positive riding should have been the aim from day one.

3 Road Management

The lack of traffic control in Johannesburgy, which forced the cancellation of the second stage, was the tour’s low moment. Rolling road closures are hard to pull off, especially on city roads where traffic is congested even without a cycle race going on them.

4 More Epic Routes

The routes were exciting and showed off the beauty of our country, but never really separated the men from the boys. None of the stages gave any of the riders a chance to show how good they were and in reality the guys never looked like they were being tested. More challenging days and perhaps even a time trial would have added further excitement.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best moment.....when I went to watch the last stage and picked up some of the pro's bottles....it is only 5 diferent ones.....but awesome!

I am no cycling fundi but i followed the tour with interest an was there (rooting for Fabio) in the blistering sun on the final stage and it was electric (the tv footage may not have been proof of that) but what i noticed is that the european riders let the saffers do all the work and then come through in the end for the win (stages) i was totally frustrated with Evans for trying so hard just to be caught right near the end (he was motoring it, and has legs of steel)but i suppose thats ccyccling for you. :thumbup:

My favorite moment... Being snapped by the paparazzi while cycling up Hels hoogte on Friday just after the bunch come in, they thought I was part of the tour :D

Best moment.....when I went to watch the last stage and picked up some of the pro's bottles....it is only 5 diferent ones.....but awesome!

Can't imagine you on the Fondriest on the road back from Paarl to Bellville with a pro's bottle in every corner pocket of your Nalini jersey...

:rolleyes: :P :P

Best moment....just having it back and hearing the internationals talk about SA in a positive way !

Worst..hmm..TSA but only 2 of the Provinces ?? Cmon...we got so mush more to showcase ! Yeah I understand its hectic logistics/time/distance wise..but its possible to extend the Tour to more of SA instead of just 2 Provinces.

Hahaha.... my wife made me put it back down ...she said SIES ..surely you not gonna use that.... :D

Quite different...... after the ill fated 2nd stage there were pages and pages of cyclists condemning how bad everything was. I myself did it. After the BOUNCE back with the rest of the stages they are very conspicious in their absence. Bad work people, sad people!!!!!!!!!

No reason why the organization and logistics could not be perfect - lots of big races are run in SA with great organization, like Epic, Panorama, Argus, 947 etc. They could have contracted the 947 organizers to do the Jhb stage.

Good stuff:

*I liked the "big tour" feel of the race. Starting and finishing in different places contributed to this, plus the longer stages. Phil Ligget also helped.

*Scenery

*International teams

Bad stuff:

* Only one finish on a climb, and it was on a "hoogte", not a mountain. How about Magoebas kloof, Kowyns pass, Long Tom, or a finish in Lesotho? The GC challenge to House was pretty tame - yes, the other GC contenders were pretty dumb to give him 2mins, but getting back time with mostly flat finishes is very difficult.

* Lack of a TT. I would suggest they go for something like the TT in Quatar & Oman, done with road legal bikes, instead of TT bikes, to give teams without TT bikes a fair chance.

* Absence of SA stage wins. It seems out sprinters were outclassed. Perhaps not used to race longer races?

Imo spectator numbers will grow as the race grows in stature, and bigger names participate in the race. Liquigas came for World's view, with Filippo Pozzato. Our race had more spectators then Quatar and Oman put together.

Can't imagine you on the Fondriest on the road back from Paarl to Bellville with a pro's bottle in every corner pocket of your Nalini jersey...

:rolleyes: :P :P

Lol, nah I went with my girlfriend, so we were in the car, most of the bottles is brand new and been cleaned very well!!

Hahaha.... my wife made me put it back down ...she said SIES ..surely you not gonna use that.... :D

Lol, I now can go mtb without worrying bout breaking a bottle,hehe, you couldve given them to me!

My favorite moment... Being snapped by the paparazzi while cycling up Hels hoogte on Friday just after the bunch come in, they thought I was part of the tour :D

Yay... Your moment of Glory on the Pina, Tank.

Wicked!.

Yay... Your moment of Glory on the Pina, Tank.

Wicked!.

Ill have to create another moment of glory because the Pina could not share this one with me :(

Busted my rear wheel and grabbed the training bike :( at least the wheel lived for 19 000km :D

On stage 2: The sign board that clearly indicated which way to Cape Town.....'cos I knew when it got down there it it would be organized.

AYOBA !!!!!!

Ill have to create another moment of glory because the Pina could not share this one with me :(

Busted my rear wheel and grabbed the training bike :( at least the wheel lived for 19 000km :D

Well, there's always the 2012 edition, Tankman!

;)