Conti Race King Front and back ...

GhostRider2

Done about 2000km on my Mountain King / Race King combo and still going strong! quarter of that on tar?? :thumbup:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I run bog standard non UST 29er Race Kings and have had very fews problems to date - that includes Sani2c, SabieX, a full MTN XC series, some 6 hour endurance racing, Nissan Series etc.

Proper UST tyres are overkill in my opinion*

*unless of course you ride like a savage and don't really look where you ride.

Eldron, what sort of tyre pressure do you run ?

Thanks

I run bog standard non UST 29er Race Kings and have had very fews problems to date - that includes Sani2c, SabieX, a full MTN XC series, some 6 hour endurance racing, Nissan Series etc.

Proper UST tyres are overkill in my opinion*

*unless of course you ride like a savage and don't really look where you ride.

This is a good point. What were the few problems that you did experience?

Edited by Caerus

Eldron, what sort of tyre pressure do you run ?

Thanks

I'm 80kg and run 2 bar front & back.

@caerus - in Clarens I forgot my floor pump at home and think I ran my rear tyre a bit soft - hit a huge rock at speed and pinched flatted badly. It damaged the rim too :thumbdown:

The R/Kinds have taken some big hits - as long as you keep the tyre pressure right I reckon they'll soak up almost anything.

I mounted the mountain king protection yesterday on my front wheel

firstly what a pleaseure to fit on the ZTR crest could just about get it on by hand

Inflated it first without any stans to see how it would hold pressure

sealed almost perfectly did a test in the pool and only had 2 little pin prick bubble leaks on the bead which i think with a bit of fiddling would of been easy to eliminate

anyway deflated chucked in 2 cups stans inflated span wheel once did pool test 100% sealed

This is with yellow tape and olympic valve

Feels Nice and light

Just waiting for my yellow rim tape to arrive so I can mount the Raceking on the rear then I can give them a good test as I found out 1 roll does 4 and 9/10ths of a 26inch rim not 5 like stan says :blush: maybe my overlap was a bit to generous on the other 4

My experience with mountain kings hasn't been great. I found they are only effective when they're new and the terrain is muddy. As soon as they start to wear, the knobblies on the side become soft and loose grip in the corners.

So I run race kings front and back. Grip on the front is more important, so what I do is always fit the new tyre on the front and move the worn tyre to the back. When the back tyre becomes too smooth, I do the same: move the front (less worn) tyre to the back and put a new one on the front. This has served me very well to date. The advantage is also that on tar, you put power through the smoother tyre and don't wear a new set of knobblies.

Option A.

Tar kills them!

Had a couple issues with grip on loose Jeep track/single track climbs in the beginning, but dropped the pressures to 1.8 and they work well now.

Edited by Chubba

B - RK's work well front and back especially in dry conditions. I found them to wear well - the knobs go down and retain their sharp edges, unlike much of the other rubbish out there. They are not that strong or didnt used to be and are nowehere near as tough as Maxxis UST's but are lighter. I managed to pinch flat and hole the tread 2 RK's.

Ive now heard from three people that the Conti factory in Germany is having problems with the new range. Stocks may only come into SA by July.

We've had the new Mountain King II's and XKing's (both Racesport, 2.2) in for a while now.

There are still some left http://www.easybike.co.za/tyres.html

• 1 year later...

Would a race king front & back hold up for the Karkloof trials? Doing the classic in April and is a bit in two minds wether to get another race king (front).

Currently running a Bontrager XR3 front (came stock) with the bike and Conti Race King 2.2 rear.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

Edited by FuelEX