Down to 3

Quantum Theory

Hi guys. This is my first post here. I'm really amped to start doing some riding soon... I've been shopping around for a couple of weeks now. I want to spend less than 5k on the bike. Think I've got it down to these:

Merida Matts TFS 100

GT Avalanche 3.0

Scott Aspect 30 (stretching the budget a little)

The one salesman reckons that it is definitely worth stretching the budget for the Scott. Does anybody here own any of these, or know enough about them to give me some advice?

• 3 weeks later...

Im down to 2 myself

Scott Aspect 30 vs Merida TFS 100

Both have similar specs and look great (although the scott is a better frame)

Hermanus Cycles are having a special on their Aspect 30...R4700 with free delivery in Western Cape

Hope it helps

Goodluck

What components do they have on them?

My advice is pick the one that looks the nicest to you if the components are all on the same level and make sure you are correctly fitted to the right size bike in the right way.

Have you had a look at the Silverback offerings?

SB Alpine / Phoenix - around that price range with decent components...

Also - if your heart is set on a Scott - call Cajees in Boksburg and speak to Arief. Maybe he can work out a sweet deal - based on ure existing quotes..

Always worth a try...

Im down to 2 myself

Scott Aspect 30 vs Merida TFS 100

Both have similar specs and look great (although the scott is a better frame)

Hermanus Cycles are having a special on their Aspect 30...R4700 with free delivery in Western Cape

Hope it helps

Goodluck

The Aspect 30 definitely has a slight edge on the TFS 100... So, at that price, it is a no brainer. Will call them later, to see if they still have stock available at that price.

What components do they have on them?

My advice is pick the one that looks the nicest to you if the components are all on the same level and make sure you are correctly fitted to the right size bike in the right way.

The fork, frame and derailleurs are better on the Scott (I think). To me it looks the nicest too.

Have you had a look at the Silverback offerings?

SB Alpine / Phoenix - around that price range with decent components...

Also - if your heart is set on a Scott - call Cajees in Boksburg and speak to Arief. Maybe he can work out a sweet deal - based on ure existing quotes..

Always worth a try...

I've looked at the Silverbacks and basically everything else, but I think the Scott is the bike I want. As I'm in Cape Town, I'll rather deal with local guys.

Thanks for the replies!

The Aspect 30 definitely has a slight edge on the TFS 100... So, at that price, it is a no brainer. Will call them later, to see if they still have stock available at that price.

The fork, frame and derailleurs are better on the Scott (I think). To me it looks the nicest too.

I've looked at the Silverbacks and basically everything else, but I think the Scott is the bike I want. As I'm in Cape Town, I'll rather deal with local guys.

Thanks for the replies!

Check out www.cwcycles.co.za and also visit the shop. Online may sell bikes and will be cheaper than the shop, but may allow you to pick up.

Best shop in town.

Take them all for a test ride and see which one is the most comfortable for you. Some people may differ from me, but if all of them provide a similar ride take the one that looks best. I want a mtb in my garage that's got 'take me for a ride written all over it'

Everyone has got their favourate.

I got the GT Avalanche 2 years ago and it is still delivering very good service.

• 3 months later...