MTBers, How Do You Cope?

'Dale

My LBS owner is a former SA Vets Cross-Country Champion.

He smirks and says that he cannot make moola with me as I am a roadie.

If I was a MTBer, I would be there regularly with mechanical repaits and replacing parts through wear 'n tear.

As a man dedicated to road racing, I wonder how tough and rough it really is on the wallet for the off-roader?

Of course, it depends on what kinda consumer you are - weekend warrior, stage racer, downhiller, etc.

Still wondering...

http://www.funny-potato.com/images/mountain-biking/extreme-biking.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its the same as a road bike.... if you maintain and clean regularly..

the only diffrence is we have more fun...

My last MTB cost more to maintain in a year than my car. My new one is much better but still pretty bad if I didn't start taking a serious interest in doing much of it myself. There are still things I can't do due to a lack of tools.

I'm always suprised when I discover someone either rides only road or only mtb. I do both & will confess the mtb maintenance is in another league to my road bike, but the smile on my face after hitting the trail & some sublime single track and no cars, taxis etc to worry about, makes it more than worth the cost..... :D

its the same as a road bike.... if you maintain and clean regularly..

the only diffrence is we have more fun...

naaah not quite.

At least every 3rd mtb ride you need to replace/repair something... Road bike can do 3000km without replacing anything... try do that on a mtb

I ride both - but must admit I only road as a source of training, mtb'ing is way more fun! It is also alot more expensive... I have not needed to service or replace any parts on my road bike but have already spent a small fortune on my mtb and I bought a brand new one just before xmas

naaah not quite.

At least every 3rd mtb ride you need to replace/repair something... Road bike can do 3000km without replacing anything... try do that on a mtb

My stuff is still fine after the a bunch of training rides at places like Groenkloof and a Xterra, Valentines dirt ride and MTN Clarens (which was 80km of grinding mud). My FD was bent after Clarens which was then just bent right again.

Where and how far do you ride that stuff needs to be raplaced/repaired after every 3rd ride?

Edited by b-unit

I'm always suprised when I discover someone either rides only road or only mtb. I do both & will confess the mtb maintenance is in another league to my road bike, but the smile on my face after hitting the trail & some sublime single track and no cars, taxis etc to worry about, makes it more than worth the cost..... :D

I own a MTB.

Ride it every now and then with my chommies as a way to socialize and add variety to my riding experience.

I race and train on tarmac.

Try these 2 things:

Learn to work on your own bike yourself

Ride a singlespeed - no drivetrain maintenance to worry about except lubing your chain!

Learn to work on your own bike yourself

I think thats where bikeshops make the most money.

Everytime joe soap goes for a ride with his mates, he brings his bike in to have his gears set, and lubed. The bike shop can them upsell them some new bling and make some decent money on the labour

For me, both are the same. I do my own maintenance though.

Road has handlebar tape that needs replacing once a blue moon.

MTB has disc brakes that needs bleeding once a blue moon.

naaah not quite.

the only thing i've replaced in the last 1000k's on my mtb is the wheels due to soft rims ( dont think the weight limit was within tolerance)

so 2 things come to mind... are you cleaning/ servicing your bike correctly.

and are you needlessly trashing your bike. look at your lines and riding style..

A mtb is not much harder on the wallet...However, maintenance eats up most of your time...Especially if you have a racing snake for a wife and you have to do her bike as well... <_<

Being a proponent of road, marathon MTB, cyclocross and audax, I would say that road has the least need for TLC and intense cleaning, but the cost maintenance requirements are probably similar, depending on how well you clean your bikes. The chain though is probably replaced twice as frequently on an MTB and cx than on road or audax.

The issue seems simple - clean your MTB well after every ride unless you're happy to pay unnecessary maintenance bills.