losing a quick link while riding?

mtb_Josh

So I went for a quick road ride this afternoon to klapperkop and home. On my way home, doing about 45km/h (and pushing quite hard) down lynnwood, my chain decided to snap and go wild on the back of my bike. It almost sent me sprawling across the road and eventually locked up my back wheel and brought me to a stop.

The funny thing is - it seems as if it was caused by the quick link breaking or coming apart or something as the quick link was nowhere to be found. One of the links was twisted 90 degrees to the rest of the chain, but I think that happened after the 1st break.

Has this ever happened to anyone before?

Oh, and thanks to the woman who stopped to offer me a lift :thumbup: (I should've taken it in hindsight!)

I've lost a quick link while descending before. If you're freewheeling, the road surface is not great, and your chain is clean and well-lubricated, it is possible for the quick link to work loose. That's why it's worth considering the quick links that need pliers for removal.

brand new chain, pretty used chain. never had a quick link come off on me (yes yes, tempting fate here :P ). I tend to disagree that a quick link is easy to 'work loose', as my riding conditions tend to give the chain a thorough thrashing (without pedalling) which is plenty opportunity for it to work loose. I'd rather bet on improper assembly as a more likely culprit. But can a fatigued quick link explode like any other link? Definitely. Spit definitely happens :(

If only I was freewheeling! I was standing in a big gear trying to get to the next robot while it was still green, so I totally lost control when it happened. I'd already picked out a spot on the side of the road to throw myself at to avoid the cars on the road :P luckily I recovered enough though...

I know they make the quick link weaker than the rest, but for it to just give way while I wasn't even shifting?? Thats just not cool. :thumbdown:

Also doubt if the quick link worked loose.

Was the bent link near the quick link?

If not, then my guess is that the chain jammed, bent and then the quick link opened.

I have also had a quick link come loose on the road bike, but that was due to a chain jam from a bad shift (going from big blade to small without letting up on the power enough). My conclusion was that the quick link opened as a result of the jam and not vice versa.

Fortunately I was not going fast (up hill) and could retrieve both sections of the quick link, repair the chain and continue with my ride.

Are you on a 9 or 10 speed groupset?

Was the quick link you used silver or gold? (I know for sure it was not SRAM, there is no way SRAM would come loose, you battle to get the thing off even when using pliers!)

Edited by Tankman

Was the quick link you used silver or gold? (I know for sure it was not SRAM, there is no way SRAM would come loose, you battle to get the thing off even when using pliers!)

I have a gold one, is that good?

I have a gold one, is that good?

You havent answered the first question yet? 9 or 10 speed chain?

So it depends, if you are using a gold link with a 10 speed bike, it may be no good! (ok depending on the brand you are using but traditionally the gold ones are 9 speed and the silver ones 10 speed)

With the 9 speed link slightly wider than a 10 speed chain, there is a chance that it may come loose while riding.

I mistakenly used a 9 speed link on a 10 speed chain for a week or so before I noticed but didnt have any problems. Only realized when I took the chain off "darn that came off much easier than normal"!

Sorry I have a gold one on my 9-speed MTB and silver one on my 10-speed roadbike....not sure of the brand, will find out ;)

I have had a quick link come off or disintegrate one me.

Pretty sure it came undone, as was not under huge load.

Been riding with one (Gold, nione speed) for 10 years.

I do all my own maintenace, and keep an imaculately clean bike.

Was off road, so I guess it can happen, just right amount of slack, at the right angle etc.

Also doubt if the quick link worked loose.Was the bent link near the quick link?If not, then my guess is that the chain jammed, bent and then the quick link opened.I have also had a quick link come loose on the road bike, but that was due to a chain jam from a bad shift (going from big blade to small without letting up on the power enough). My conclusion was that the quick link opened as a result of the jam and not vice versa.Fortunately I was not going fast (up hill) and could retrieve both sections of the quick link, repair the chain and continue with my ride.

The bent one was almost exatly half the length of the chain away from the quick link, so I guess its possible that it jammed, although I wasn't shifting when it happened and my gears were tuned perfectly...

Are you on a 9 or 10 speed groupset?Was the quick link you used silver or gold? (I know for sure it was not SRAM, there is no way SRAM would come loose, you battle to get the thing off even when using pliers!)

10 speed groupo, I'm not sure if it was gold or silver, bought the bike 2nd hand a month or 2 ago, but it was definitley sram. I have previously used a 9 speed (gold) quick link on a 10 speed sram chain on my 9 speed mtb setup for the entire life of the chain with no issues at all... Also had to fix my chain with a gold link yesterday and I still got home ok..

one of my riding mates went slack jawed with disbelief when i told him i can take mine off at any time, but with my fingers only.. even when very dirty, i can still take it off, but it definitely takes more effort as the grime takes up any slack you require to unhook them from each other.

but I'm with those who say the chain might have jammed first, and then the quick link came undone. A jammed chain could generate the necessary forces to unlock them. But under normal conditions with a chain just flapping about? Extremely unlikely otherwise powerlink would not exist as a very successful product.

10 speed groupo, I'm not sure if it was gold or silver, bought the bike 2nd hand a month or 2 ago, but it was definitley sram. I have previously used a 9 speed (gold) quick link on a 10 speed sram chain on my 9 speed mtb setup for the entire life of the chain with no issues at all... Also had to fix my chain with a gold link yesterday and I still got home ok..

What was definitely Sram, the chain or the quick link? If you cant remember if it was gold or silver, how do you remember that is was SRAM? (talking about the quick link here)

Yup, a 9 speed link will work on a 10 speed chain but should really only be used if you have no other choice. When you get stuck in the middle of nowhere and someone offers you a 9 speed link for a 10 speed chain, gladly accept! Until you reach home/lbs, replace with a 10speed link and return the 9speed link to the good Samaritan!

Happened to me a long time ago. Happened to my riding partner the other day and we had to fit 2 links since his chain also got twisted and we had to remove a short section of chain. The SRAM quick link can come undone, the powerlink unlikely. Get yourself the Connex link, it will not come undone by itself but you can remove it by hand. They are not cheap though.

I agree with Mountain Lion & Capricorn's expalnations...

I also use a gold SRAM 9spd link...for the past 2 years or so the same one...so much so that it is almost siver from wear!!

i take it off every weekend with my fingfers (no problemo!!)

AND I put some serious torque on that chain...never had a problem!!

Broke a quick link in a race before. Also "lost" one during a bone shaking technical downhill. Got some sound advise from another hubber to always replace the quick link when replacing the chain.