Can we clear something up here?

TNT1

Agreed, but we owe it to ourselves, as cyclists, on this forum to correct that when it's posted here. Largely futile, I know, but still...

Ok, you go ride outside the yellow line - Good luck with that and let me know how it went.

I'll stick to the inside - No use in arguing with a 30ton Interlink.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, you go ride outside the yellow line - Good luck with that and let me know how it went.

I never once said I want to ride in the lane, or advocate riding in the traffic lane. I'm just saying that we as cyclists need to make motorists aware of the fact that we are actually allowed to ride there, and that the hard shoulder is not a "cycle lane" as they insist on calling it.

He didn't say we should ride outside the yellow line, or that he himself will ride there. On the contrary ...

In your own words then MJ... "This is sometimes so typical of the hub... Snotty comments, personal attacks..." <_<

Last time I tried riding my bicycle in the yellow lane in Germany the town Mayor came to visit me that evening and kaked me out. Apparently I caused quite a stir amongst the town folk and they were most unhappy :lol:

Edited by Seeker911

• 3 months later...

In response to all those stupid motorists versus cyclists threads...

That section of the road, the other side of the yellow line, the hard shoulder, is not a "cycle lane". Ok? According to the law in South Africa, pedal cycles are allowed to be ridden on the actual road, the same side of the yellow line as the cars.

Is there a article in the traffic law that can proof this. I need it as a reference in a letter to our local newspaper in Mossel Bay.Because it is a warzone out here on Motorist vs Cyclists. Another thing that blows my whistle is the fact that motorists pass a bunch of cyclists just to indicate 10m onwards and turn in front off into a intersection.DAMIT WHY ?

Is there a article in the traffic law that can proof this. I need it as a reference in a letter to our local newspaper in Mossel Bay.

Will see what I can find.

As long a I still see fellow riders jump red robots every single day in Cape Town traffic (am going to start posting pictures here...), I feel embarrassed asking for more respect from drivers in vehicles. Yes, I am a cyclist, I do like the "Think bike" campaign, but at the end of the day "just as one shouts into the forest, so it echoes back".

Most mornings I want to re-design a sticker "Think, biker!" which half the time is more appropriate when I see another guy on a road bike / mountain bike / single speed bike (there is no difference) sneak past the queue, and conveniently ignoring red robots. Rant over...

As long a I still see fellow riders jump red robots every single day in Cape Town traffic (am going to start posting pictures here...), I feel embarrassed asking for more respect from drivers in vehicles. Yes, I am a cyclist, I do like the "Think bike" campaign, but at the end of the day "just as one shouts into the forest, so it echoes back".

Most mornings I want to re-design a sticker "Think, biker!" which half the time is more appropriate when I see another guy on a road bike / mountain bike / single speed bike (there is no difference) sneak past the queue, and conveniently ignoring red robots. Rant over...

Just keep you side clean and Darwin will take care of the rest.

For sure, but it goes without saying that cars won't see it that way.

+1 - had a D00$ on Saturday that actually said that he will knock us over if he gets us on the road again. 2 of us were in the yelow, two barely in the lane. Two lanes for traffic travelling on one direction, no other traffic on the road, but he decide that he need to be in the left lane..... and then he turned right at the traffic light anyway. IDIOT!

inspectahome.co.za - you suck! (ad on the car the guy was driving - tellytubby too).

+1 - had a D00$ on Saturday that actually said that he will knock us over if he gets us on the road again. 2 of us were in the yelow, two barely in the lane. Two lanes for traffic travelling on one direction, no other traffic on the road, but he decide that he need to be in the left lane..... and then he turned right at the traffic light anyway. IDIOT!

inspectahome.co.za - you suck! (ad on the car the guy was driving - tellytubby too).

We should all go leave a message on their website. How many Hubbers are there?

Guest Frail4Life

I cycle in the TRAFFIC. (right of Yellow Line).

LONG DIST TRUCKERS (FRIENDS)

LOCAL DELIVERY VANS (ENEMY)

VEHILCE with (THINK BIKE STICKER) but NO BRAINS, Why the Sticker?

I was riding up the main road, in the yellow line, couple of weeks back - and a car came up behind me and hooted at me ! can you f$%^&ing handle that !

I moved over as he was a bit too close for comfort and he passed. I noticed he turned off into the shopping centre ahead - so I put in a good sprint and caught up with him in the parking lot. He saw me stop behind his double cab and it took a couple of minutes before he got out. He sheepishly tried to avoid looking at me but I went right upto him and explain :-

"Listen D!CKHEAD, how dare you hoot at me in a yellow lane !" He replied that I needed to move over or he would have run me down. I went ballistic.. "LISTEN HERE YOU P@#$% - It is illegal for cars and bikes to ride in the yellow lane - it is an emergency lane !! We as cyclist break the law so that D#$%^ses like you are not inconvenienced by us as slower traffic on the road - if you can't behave, the cyclist will be forced into their cars which will be more traffic for you ! Now, the law has agreed to 'turn a blind eye' to us cyclists to use the yellow lane - that does not mean you in your car can drive like a P@#$% ! and try to run us down in the yellow lane. NOW GO THINK ABOUT IT - AND JUST ONE WORD FROM YOU NOW AND I WILL MOER YOU RIGHT HERE !!!

I think he got the message.

"Listen D!CKHEAD, how dare you hoot at me in a yellow lane !" He replied that I needed to move over or he would have run me down. I went ballistic.. "LISTEN HERE YOU P@#$% - It is illegal for cars and bikes to ride in the yellow lane - it is an emergency lane !! We as cyclist break the law so that D#$%^ses like you are not inconvenienced by us as slower traffic on the road - if you can't behave, the cyclist will be forced into their cars which will be more traffic for you ! Now, the law has agreed to 'turn a blind eye' to us cyclists to use the yellow lane - that does not mean you in your car can drive like a P@#$% ! and try to run us down in the yellow lane.