Taxi drivers

chris_w_65

44 members have voted

1. 1. Does a monkey have a higher IQ than a taxi driver?

• Yes, and the monkey would make a better driver
    • No

And whats pathetic is these are mostly white drivers.

umm so? whats race got to do with driving like a ****?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, in the context of this thread, untill I see a white taxi driver, isn't it intrinsically linked to race?

Well, in the context of this thread, untill I see a white taxi driver, isn't it intrinsically linked to race?

cervelo wasnt talking about taxi drivers.

However, I'm pretty sure that if you stick a white guy in a taxi for 3 years, he's going to drive just as any other taxi driver does - ie - a ****. I think that tax driver = **** is because of their job, not their skin color

However, I'm pretty sure that if you stick a white guy in a taxi for 3 years, he's going to drive just as any other taxi driver does - ie - a ****. I think that tax driver = **** is because of their job, not their skin color

Ah. Right. From what I see on the roads, skin clour and taxi driver training have nothing to do with driving like a ****. The majority of drivers on SA roads are completely incompetent in the operation of the said machinery.

Ah. Right. From what I see on the roads, skin clour and taxi driver training have nothing to do with driving like a ****. The majority of drivers on SA roads are completely incompetent in the operation of the said machinery.

shees aint that the truth.

I'm seriously paranoid about cars taking me out - 99% of them just dont register anything that isnt a car

Guest Omega Man

I have to say from what I've seen the average roadie rides like far more of a **** than a taxi drives.

I NEVER ride on the road. But as an avid cyclist I'm often horrified at how roadies ride. They ride 3 abreast, Through red traffic lights. On the highway. (A personal favorite) etc etc.

And you okes wonder why you get mowed over. And no. It's not a small minority.

I have to say from what I've seen the average roadie rides like far more of a **** than a taxi drives.

I NEVER ride on the road. But as an avid cyclist I'm often horrified at how roadies ride. They ride 3 abreast, Through red traffic lights. On the highway. (A personal favorite) etc etc.

yes - this!!!

**** - i'm ashamed by most of the roadies. Its shocking how they ride, and have NO regard for rules or motorists

Because, there are so many taxis that break the law(can you break a non-existant law?) that it give the perception that blacks are worse drivers. But, as we know, the whites are slowly but surely getting their numbers up.

(as someone mentioned earlier, because taxis may do it, I may do it as well)

Whether its Roadies riding like idiots, Taxi Drivers or silly women talking on their phones in their two ton SUV's the problem is that no one is held accountable for their infringements. While we have police sitting under a tree looking for speeding fines and some only hittting certain profiles for one or two specific infringments we'll never have any order (read: safety).

You just have to spend some time in the state, uk or europe and you will see that you become accountable for everything; speeding, jumping lights, non road worthiness, abuse of others in public (road rage) etc.....

We need to educate the enforcers and then the rest will fall into line.

Agreed! That's why this is a south african phenomena and not a race matter. The majority behave like holier than thou ******.

Chris-w, there's always a "Did you hear about the one"? Well yes, Natalie du Toit had that experience - I can't remember whether it was a taxi or not. But I have the same experience that others have noted here: the taxi drivers are often the better ones. Maybe they drive on adrenalin, but it makes their senses a tad sharper. The taxi driver pushed through the group is just a bad/misguided/selfish person - just like the nutter in the video that I think you posted of the Brazilian Critical Mass rampage.

Who do I find worst, especially when I'm commuting? Pedestrians. They step right in front of you; they stand next to cars so you have to squeeze through; they don't look; they walk in the road with cellphones ... I could go on endlessly.

Well there was a coloured taxi boss who many years ago only employed white drivers for his taxis on the Somerset West-Strand route. His taxis where the cleanest, best maintained, best driven and most popular ones on that route. I seldom got a chance to ride on them as these guys refused to overload and you had to fight to get a spot.

I've used taxis all over the country and can say that race, culture and attitude of the driver go hand in hand. Big difference between a taxi driven by a member of the Bafekeng tribe in the North West and a Xhosa in the Cape.

Apologies in advance for writing a novel....

Problem is that there is no justice for joe citizen in SA anymore. There's zero enforcement of the laws in this country. It's like the wild west - kill or be killed. Vigilante justice rules (or private security, because the cops are nowhere). As an example, I read an article on research conducted by the School of Criminal Justice at UNISA that the average house robber commits 103 robberies over 7 years before being caught. Total impunity. This reflects in all aspects of our lives, including the I-dont-give-a-sh!t-because-who's-going-to-stop-me attitude on our roads.

And this attitude is not the sole preserve of taxi drivers, no matter how much you try and make it out to be. The extreme, raging, red faced, spittle flying aggression of drivers on our roads is just as likely to be coming from your local soccer mom, business owner or banking exec on their way to work. Sure there are many monster taxi drivers out there, but not more than the general populace.

Why have these extreme responses become the norm? Something I've thought about is that maybe it's because we suffer from some sort of collective post traumatic stress disorder? All the signs are there. I mean, if a community feels constantly under attack from all corners, that sense that you and your family could be hurt or killed at any moment, and that there's no-one there to protect you, it's like being in a war situation. People become trigger happy and over time, are so on edge that they react in an extreme manner to something they don't like the look of. And this perhaps suggests why you see all types exhibiting such incredible intolerance and anger on our roads.

Again, I find my local taxi drivers to be the most accommodating and pleasant to me on the roads. If I'm ever targeted by a car, most of the time it's your local middle-class car owner. The only explanation I can offer is that taxis are more accepting of people who have to walk or cycle. They don't have a snotty superior attitude to a guy on a bike. City folk believe the roads belong to them and look down on cyclists. Their general arrogance is incredible.

Edited by tombeej

I was riding through a green robot when I was almost hit by a taxi jumping the red. I even had lights on. Also, I was riding in single file, I was alone :blink:

I was riding through a green robot when I was almost hit by a taxi jumping the red. I even had lights on. Also, I was riding in single file, I was alone :blink:

Damn, that must have hurt :lol: :D