Mountain Bikes at the Argus

slabs

Best thing was the uphills. You felt like a taxi going through everyone, specially knowing your gear ratios are better and the bike is bigger!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They cant hold the speeds on the down hills. Coming down hill after Smits. there was a guy in middle of the road on mtb doing about 45k when we were doing 60k lots of swerving and choice words at the guy.

@Velouria - I think your mate had slicks on (White Scott SPark?)

Naah - on a D/S Giant with knobblies.

Although the ones clothing, or lack of, was a bit questionable on a "family" ride. The girls were giggling, the guys didn't look too happy :-)

I'm assuming you're referring to Borat? Man, that guy's butt cheeks were shiny, quite a shock to me sitting there spectating all innocently next to the road!

2 of us managed a 3.38 on Full susp with knobblies from V group. Legs worked hard all day trying to find a bunch to hang on to !

There was a guy in VB on a Bulls bike and he sat comfotably in the bunch. I was amazed :clap: :clap: :clap:

I rode back to the start with him - he said it was pretty tough so maybe you mistook his grimace for a grin :P

This was my 14th Argus and first time with a "full" MTB. Like Ratty say.... You don't put slicks on a Giant Anthem.

It was one of my toughest Cycle Tours but the most enjoyable yet.

I could ride on the gravel and over man-holes covers without worrying about punctures.

Flat sections and downhills I would run out of gears, but uphills was a joy keeping up with the road bikes. :)

I'm done with slicks - did two races on them and yesterday, on my way home, my back tyre burst in the back of the bakkie. Rubber torn, the works! Luckily it didn't happen an hour earlier! Decision made for me - back on the knobblies next year!

I rode back to the start with him - he said it was pretty tough so maybe you mistook his grimace for a grin :P

This was Billy Stelling 26" Bulls hardtail with proper knobblies (not semi-slicks). Time 2h55 from VB

This was Billy Stelling 26" Bulls hardtail with proper knobblies (not semi-slicks). Time 2h55 from VB

Conclusive proof that 26ers are faster than 29ers when they are not sponsored? (A.k.a. "cat among the pigeons....)

Got a mate who did 3:04 from D...

I was with him, good ride hey. Especially from Suikerbossie to the end.

blixem :o