Open Letter to Bike Shop Owners

EigerSA

I brought my bike in for a simple repair, something even I with my limited mechanical expertise could have taken care of. I chose to bring it into your shop since this is a service that you offer, a service for which you charge, a service for which I am prepared to pay for. With this in mind I'd like to bring up the following.

1. The attitude of your sales and service staff is poor. This may be because they are barely out of high school and probably view this job as nothing more than a minor hurdle in getting to the weekend, it may also be that you're too cheap to pay for training - though considering how much I was charged for the repair, paying your staff poorly shouldn't be an issue. It may also be because you never seem to be in the store and your staff then do as they please; it's probably a combination of the above. Regardless of the reasons, I want you to know that I will never step foot into your store again, NEVER! I do not take kindly to a high school brat lecturing me on how to ride a bike, and where and when I can ride a bike, I've been riding bikes since before he was born and I seem to have managed just fine so far; note that friendly advice I can handle and even take to heart, but being lectured pisses me off a bit. Your staff are the front line to your business, perhaps you should spend a little time with them.

2. When I ask to be called if the damage is more than I believe and so may a) cost considerably more and B) take longer to repair, then for goodness sake PHONE ME! If you can repair a bike, then picking up a phone and pressing some digits shouldn't be a problem for you! All that's going to happen now is that I'm going to tell you to reverse the repair at your cost, and I'm never going to set foot in your store again. On a similar note, if you tell me you'll get the bike back to me by the end of the day, than that is what I expect; don't drop your lip because I'm now demanding my bike, you're the one who said it would be ready!!!!! Perhaps if you'd phoned like I told you to....

3. When you repair a bike/toaster/car/small stick, it's best you check your work before sending it out to the customer. The whole reason I'm writing this now is because I just spent the last 35min repairing the repair that you "claim" to have made - are you kidding me!? WTF were you thinking when you handed the bike over to me saying all fixed? A 10 second ride in the parking lot would've alerted you to the fact that something is wrong!

4. Just an observation: I may not be the biggest spender in your store, but I do spend; at some stage in the very near future I was even planning on dropping another R14 000,00 on that build you have in the window. Notice the use of the term "was", it's not going to happen now. I have no idea what your GP is on that bike, fact is you're not going to get it out of me. I'm pretty sure that repair work brings in a fair amount of money that contributes to that huge rental you pay; well not from me it wont, and I promise you if I have my way, it wont be coming from a number of my mates either.

Lastly, in this day and age with the advent of online stores like CRC and CW Cyles, I find it inconceivable that you'd allow your customer service to degenerate to such a degree, since quite honestly customer service is the only reason anyone would have any need to enter a store for! There are 3 cycle store in my area alone, there are also two private mechanics advertising their services; guess which store wont be receiving my hard earned cash, yup... yours.

Your Ex-Customer

Edited by EigerSA

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to name and shame, but as I mentioned, owner wasn't in (again). It's one of the Durban shops. I'm going to give them a chance to respond to my letter that I'll fax in the morning, if they don't come back to me, I'll post the shop and owner name here.

Guest Big H

Why did you not have that 10 second test ride in the aprking lot as you claim to be an experienced cyclist???????

Why did you not have that 10 second test ride in the aprking lot as you claim to be an experienced cyclist???????

Even if he did, it wouldn't have changed the fact that the shop screwed up...

Edited by BlinkFan

Should I have done the repair as well to make sure? Not that it matters at all, but I wanted to get home and try get an hour's ride in, so paid, loaded and shot home. What's being an experienced cyclist got to do with it? What am I paying for if I have to test the mechanics work every time?

I was going to name and shame, but as I mentioned, owner wasn't in (again). It's one of the Durban shops. I'm going to give them a chance to respond to my letter that I'll fax in the morning, if they don't come back to me, I'll post the shop and owner name here.

When you say DURBAN shops, can you narrow it down by stating CITY Central, South, North or Outer West.

Guessing, guessing.......

(C%#*3^, I am still getting over the shock of the BIG H Avatar - petition time? Anyone?)

When you say DURBAN shops, can you narrow it down by stating CITY Central, South, North or Outer West.

Guessing, guessing.......

(C%#*3^, I am still getting over the shock of the BIG H Avatar - petition time? Anyone?)

Hillcrest...

Guest Big H

Should I have done the repair as well to make sure? Not that it matters at all, but I wanted to get home and try get an hour's ride in, so paid, loaded and shot home. What's being an experienced cyclist got to do with it? What am I paying for if I have to test the mechanics work every time?

Copied from above..... " I've been riding bikes since before he was born and I seem to have managed just fine so far; note that friendly advice I can handle and even take to heart,"

............ agge nee sies man did you not learn anything during all these years...... you could have taken the bike back and said nicley...... "why did you not do this????" ..... instead of whining like a ou vrou met 'n nat broek???????

.... eish party mense se kinners!!!!!!!!

Isn't that the job of the 'experienced' mechanic? That would classify as a rude post :(

Had the same experiences at most WELL KNOWN Pta bike shops till I came across West rand cycles in Krugersdorp- won't take my bike anywhere else now! If I were you I'd sommer name the idiot shop!