Open Letter to Bike Shop Owners

EigerSA

oh big small h SHUT UP......

there is onl;y 2 things a Bicycle mechanic needs to be trained on... shock service and wheel building...

the rest how difficult is it to adjust brakes and gears... to strip a crank set.. to fix a puncture....

if you pay for a service.. no matter what it is you except it done right..

the bottom line is this:

why should i have to check anything you do, if i'm paying for it...

customers service in today's market is king.

Good one!!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how is this for a service on my fork, instead of sending it to the correct guys the shop decided to put normal workshop oil in my mtb fork and grease the rings with some shate standing around in the shop. It wil now cost me R1500 to get it flushed in order for the correct oil to be replaced...mechanic my ass

I was going to name and shame, but as I mentioned, owner wasn't in (again). It's one of the Durban shops. I'm going to give them a chance to respond to my letter that I'll fax in the morning, if they don't come back to me, I'll post the shop and owner name here.

Seems like you get this all over there is a LBS in Kempton Park with exactly the same attitude , especially to employing a bloke not even 2 years out of high school lecturing everyone on how to ride their bikes and carrying out the repairs as the owner don't want to carry out the repairs himself and as a matter of fact I don't take my bike their anymore as this young bloke always gives my bike back to me in a worse state than it was in when I handed it over to them ...

Guest Big H

Only the wise learn from other peoples mistakes......... Unfortunately there are not that many wise people around

Only the wise learn from other peoples mistakes......... Unfortunately there are not that many wise people around

Hell, Oom, most can't even learn from their own mistakes...

Schwinn Lover, you are right. i totally agree that we must stand up.

Eiger SA has taken this up to the LBS, in the form of a letter, given him time to reply before the NAME and SHAME. so he posted it on the hub as well, makes for some good reading, also allows other hubbers to pass comment and review their relationships with their LBS.

i think he has done the right thing.

for the LBS, it sucks to know that business owners do not protect their most valuable assets, their staff, by enforcing some sort of learnership. they would lose more money from poor customer service than anything else.

when i had first started MTB, i used to shop around to get advice on bikes. i had bought my first GT, and had encountered some problems with the shock. when i had taken it back to the LBS, the technician, looked at the problem, and said that he could not do much as thats how the shock works. i then had taken the bike to another lBS, and was helped by a young cyclist, he called GT, had the shock replaced with an upgraded shock. i had since always gone to the LBS, and specifically that staff with all my bike issues. 6 months later, spent 20k on a new bike. only then the LBS owner started to pay attention when i visited the shop. when the young lad left the shop to work another LBS, i followed.

So a note to all LBS owners, take pride in your most important assets, your staff.

Guest coenie

oh big small h SHUT UP......

there is onl;y 2 things a Bicycle mechanic needs to be trained on... shock service and wheel building...

the rest how difficult is it to adjust brakes and gears... to strip a crank set.. to fix a puncture....

if you pay for a service.. no matter what it is you except it done right..

the bottom line is this:

why should i have to check anything you do, if i'm paying for it...

customers service in today's market is king.

I agree....there should be NO need for a customer to "check" the LBS's work...you should be able to pay the money pick up the bike and the ride Argus or an Epic stage the NEXT day......with NO checks.....

Mods please remove Big-H 's swearing comments......

lol! nah, I'm the guilty party there, I find it's too easy for people to say they never received an email whereas I think a fax is a bit harder, just my opinion there!

Dont give your age away here bud! ;)

Ever saw these two tick boxes:

Request a Delivery Receipt?

Request a Read Receipt?

Dont give your age away here bud! ;)

Ever saw these two tick boxes:

Request a Delivery Receipt?

Request a Read Receipt?

So what? The receipient can decline to acknowledge receipt.

And what is it gonna prove, someone else opened the email and not him. Trust me Personel delivery or registered mail is the only way. I have done this many times before. How do you get a lawyers letter or summons? You have to sign for it

f*kkit, maar julle like van bad mouth.

Eiger is reg om sy storie te pos, maar julle is soos daai plaas anties op die hand sentrale wat elke oggend 5uur opstaan en die telefoon sit en afluister omder hulle nie sonder die skinder kan lewe.

En natuurlik wil julle nou julself kom verdedig deur te se ek gaan dan ook nie daar koop, bulldust, julle koop waar julle wil ongeag 'n ander ou se probleem.

If you going to get your bike serviced, make sure you know who the mechanic servicing the bike is.

The mechanic that works for me used to own his own bike shop, has 25 years experience and also used to race bikes.

He has a following of customers that will only take their bikes to him and nobody else.

The bikes should all be checked 100% before leaving the shop with the approval of the mechanic. If this happens - happy customers. How simple is that?? Come on guys, fact is - you can compete with CWC and CRC service wise.

Its not about running a huge profit, its about offering a service to the customer and in turn you will soon be making money. Good service = customers = turn over = profit

Yep.

And I think it's about time he opened a service only shop of his own.

More decent Mechs should do so. That is all my mate in CT does. And all his mechs are trained by him, and all work checked by him.

Edited by The Drongo

Easy there bud, we dont want to follow the trend of this thread and get all personal about which is better email or fax.

I said that with a ;) The recipient can not decline the delivery report, same with the fax.

Why dont you fax your complaints to my email address? ;) again ;)

It is so typical South African the way we will bitch and moan (and get into mud slinging matches)to everyone and anyone about the bad service we get but only about 5% of us will go back and complain at the bike shop!!

Stand up for yourselves,you payed good money to have a job done so if it is not done properly go back and demand that it is redone or a portion of your money is returned.If you do not make the owner of the shop aware of the problem well then he thinks everything is fine?

I went to a restuarant the other day,service was terrible,complained,got a voucher and returned a few weeks later,the buffet was so much better and the service had been jacked up!! If I had not complained management may never have realised that there was a problem?

PLEASE GUYS COMPLAIN WERE THE PROBLEM LIES FIRST BEFORE CRYING ON THE HUB??

Dude, Eiger has done just that. He has not named the guilty party - yet, and hopefully won't have to. However, you can see, geographically, that some others already have an idea who he is talking about.

Training - that is the key. Not just mechanical, but in front shop manners, decorum, dress sense, common sense. It needs to be addressed. If the shop owner/franchise is not willing to address it then it can, and should, become public knowledge. Why do you think the Consumer Protection Act needed a review?

My cell phone contract bill reduced by +3oo bux a month after MTN/Vodascum had their arses kicked for price fixing. Without public shaming you would still be paying through your ring.

Eiger - a positive response from the LBS in your favour should lead to a period of silence on your part, however if your willingness to continue patronising their shop should meet with no change in attitude and service, then this is the place to post the name.

Guest Big H

We have the COUCH ...... Now we have the Eiger 10 second rule

Copied from above..... " I've been riding bikes since before he was born and I seem to have managed just fine so far; note that friendly advice I can handle and even take to heart,"

............ agge nee sies man did you not learn anything during all these years...... you could have taken the bike back and said nicley...... "why did you not do this????" ..... instead of whining like a ou vrou met 'n nat broek???????

.... eish party mense se kinners!!!!!!!!

If you pay for something you have the right to moan about it....