American Classic 420 3

Wannabe

Saw a set of AMC 420 3 wheels on Sunday. The ones with the white rims, black and red decals/lettering and red hubs. There was one red spoke on the front wheel and two on the rear. These wheels will look extremely hot on my bike, will fit in nicely with my colour scheme.

Anybody has any experience with these wheels and knows what the SRP on them are and where I can enquire about them in CT.

Hi,

I bought a set December last year. They are awesome - no problems. Lightning fast. Got them since they are incredibly light and want to use them next year for Ironman as well since they have a kinda aero profile.

Bought mine from buycycle.co.za

Do you know what they are retailing for?

I had a set of them, AC 420 Aero 3, great wheels. Got mine from Tarmac SL3 for a good price, and sold them to a hubber for R4000. I loved the hubs, but the braking surface did not compare with my Mavic or Easton wheels. It is my opinion that it is a great wheelset at a bargain price.

Thanks Atraut. Did you use them for racing only, or as training wheels also?

Mostly training, but also did about 2-3 races with them. They are race wheels, very light and strong....and makes the bike look awesome! They come in two colours, white with black and red lettering, and also crest which is mostly black with white and red.

post-12004-0-26278800-1300188849.jpg

Mostly training, but also did about 2-3 races with them. They are race wheels, very light and strong....and makes the bike look awesome! They come in two colours, white with black and red lettering, and also crest which is mostly black with white and red.

Yes, those are the exact ones I want. Will compliment my white frame with black and red detailing perfectly. Also the colour of the hubs is a perfect match to my KCNC bling QR's, Seatpost clamp, steerer spacers, etc.

Thanks Atraut. Did you use them for racing only, or as training wheels also?

My son uses them, but only for racing. That was the advice he got from the Importers in Cape Town.

My son uses them, but only for racing. That was the advice he got from the Importers in Cape Town.

What's the difference between racing and training? Training is just a bit slower.

What's the difference between racing and training? Training is just a bit slower.

The way I see it, not all wheels are equal, especialy the lightweight ones. They just cannot stand up to the rigors of training and racing, and as you well know it, you put a lot more mileage on wheels during training than racing.

That's why I think the question of racing only, training only or racing and training is quite pertinent. Makes a world of difference to an ignoramus (sic.) like me.

I imagine that one would train more that you race in a season.

So the 'race' wheels get less mileage.

Or something like that...

The way I see it, not all wheels are equal, especialy the lightweight ones. They just cannot stand up to the rigors of training and racing, and as you well know it, you put a lot more mileage on wheels during training than racing.

That's why I think the question of racing only, training only or racing and training is quite pertinent. Makes a world of difference to an ignoramus (sic.) like me.

Sometimes when people sell a bike or wheels, they say used for training only, not racing.

As if racing puts more stress/strain on the item?

So they are basically say that the wheels can only handle 5000km (put in own amount) of racing before you have to replace it?

Wheels used for training is normalier heavier, stronger and more spokes, will take the punishment of bumps/holes better. AC 420 lighter, less spokes, will need to respoke "sooner" if you use them all the time.

I got them because they were good value for money and colour fits perfectly with my bike.

Suppose it is more of a performance wheelset than a training one. Use it fot both though. Don't put too much miles on them anyway since I do mostly do MTB.

I don't see the problem in using them for training. It is not like a 20k uber racing wheelset and I believe you should enjoy your toys.

Get a set. use them. once they are poegaai get something new - I do think they will last though. mine are giving no problems