Trainer Newbie.

Burts

Hi fellow Hubbers.

This might seem like a stupid question to some of the professionals here, but I am new on trainers so I need some advice.

I normally do a 30km or 1 hour ride during weekdays, but with the winter coming, I need to get on the trainer. It was raining this afternoon so I thought that today would be a good start. I was on the trainer for 30 minutes and to be honest. It felt like I road for more than an hour.

My question is: How much time should I put in on a trainer to do an equivalent to say an hour on the road? I might just ad that I started today doing 5minute intervals with low cadence and more intesity and then lower intensity with higher cadence. That means 3 sets of each.

Your input and advice will be much appreciated.

this book will keep you busy during the winter.

Workouts in a Binder for Indoor Cycling

http://www.amazon.com/Workouts-Binder-Indoor-Cycling-Friel/dp/1931382751

And while you are at it get this one:

The Cyclist's Training Bible

http://www.amazon.com/Cyclists-Training-Bible-Joe-Friel/dp/1934030201/ref=pd_sim_b_8

Ps: i do realize that this is the second time in two days that i post a link to this book.

I DO NOT get any royalties from sales.:D

It is just a great book.:thumbup:

Hi fellow Hubbers.

This might seem like a stupid question to some of the professionals here, but I am new on trainers so I need some advice.

I normally do a 30km or 1 hour ride during weekdays, but with the winter coming, I need to get on the trainer. It was raining this afternoon so I thought that today would be a good start. I was on the trainer for 30 minutes and to be honest. It felt like I road for more than an hour.

My question is: How much time should I put in on a trainer to do an equivalent to say an hour on the road? I might just ad that I started today doing 5minute intervals with low cadence and more intesity and then lower intensity with higher cadence. That means 3 sets of each.

Your input and advice will be much appreciated.

Its difficult to come up with a conversion ratio for real riding to riding a trainer. Riding an IDT (in door trainer) is more efficient from a time point of view due to the fact that you don’t stop / slow down for traffic conditions and don’t ride (free wheel) downhill.

If you normally ride outdoors for 1 hr then just continue riding the IDT for 1 hr as well. It may seem difficult to do this but with the right conditions i.e. use a cooling fan, mental distractions [music, dvd etc..] and a training plan to follow, your torture time on the IDT can be turned into an enjoyable experience.

Do a search on the hub, there have been plenty of topics about how to “enjoy your time on the IDT, it can be done.....LOL.

If you use a heart rate monitor you can also get a lot of benefit from the trainer.

Rather than going on time, try do time at specific heart rates. 40 minutes at 80 - 90 percent will give you a decent workout.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys I thought I would just tag on to this thread.

So I put new tyres on my hybrid and connected it to my Giant trainer and rubber started flying off while cycling . \

What is the best way to connect the bike, should I bring the tyre pressure down?

any tips or tricks here?

So I put new tyres on my hybrid and connected it to my Giant trainer and rubber started flying off while cycling . \

What is the best way to connect the bike, should I bring the tyre pressure down?

any tips or tricks here?

Get a IDT specific tyre, or wrap your tyre with insulation tape (personally I have not tried the insulation tape story. It was a tip in one of the recent bicycling magazines)

any tips or tricks here?

Dunno you must be doing something wrong....

This last winter (Europe) I did over 100 hrs on my IDT with the same tyre and it looks like it will be able to do another 100hrs - Using a standard continetal mtb slick pumped to 80 psi, its not a IDT specific tyre.

Trainer is an Elite Chrono with "gel" roller.

So where can I get the specific IDT tyre.

I have had it on before and it never did it.

But for some reason its doing it now, its as if its to tight against the rollers.

Dunno you must be doing something wrong....

Just don't use Conti GP4000s......mine melted after 40 minutes of hard riding.I usually use a cheap tyre but didn't want the hassle of taking the wheel off.Very expensive lesson learned.

I often wonder about this problem with tyre wear, i've used 3 different types of IDT over the last 12 years and never had a problem with tyre wear.

And never used a IDT specific tyre.