Cape Times Vigne-a-Vigne 2011

SWM1

Would'nt mind trying the 50k route , need to try organise a life from CT :unsure:

gan jy vi ons kom pasta maak by die nh lord charles? laugh.gif

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I entered for the 50km last night, will be my first MTB race (actually, any race) since Knysna Rotary 2009. It's going to be humbling...

flip guys R180 bucks for 50km ride ... thats a bit hectic on the price ...

I think it's due to the obligatory "Epic finish spectating fee" that's included..

Edited by Martin Hattingh

i did the long 50km route last year as a First Time MTB racer!!! but a regular road racer. there was plenty of climbing,fortunately i had the Cycletour fitness, but for beginners not so fit, i would think its rather challenging..

oh i didnt even have a MTB, just asked a shop for a demo and went to race it :)

Edited by shade

here is last years 55km..did mail organizers for this year's profiles want mens weet mos nooit met die mense! vat nou mar die argus mtb 26km(2010 and printed on back of medal) previous years, so this year it was advertised as 25km(2011 also printed on back of medal)..we all finished and odo's said 20km!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wtf?????????????

anycase here it is:

Helloise ons almal weet nou al jou computer werk nie, jy het dan iewers verdwaal en n 118km argus ook gedoen.

Ry maar net na jou kar toe na die race vir die extra 6km ;)

Would'nt mind trying the 50k route , need to try organise a life from CT :unsure:

Ja, I also need to organize a Life, this cycling thing has taken over a bit! :P

flip guys R180 bucks for 50km ride ... thats a bit hectic on the price ...

R180 is just insane! Are they not making enough money off the Epic guys and all the other million people there on the day?

By the sounds of the route description it will pretty much be the Lourensford Classic route, incorporating some of the new single track.

All of which I have ridden and will go ride again next week ... or the week thereafter.

Ill rather spend my R180 in the beer tent and on food while waiting for the Epic boys to finish!

THE ROUTE

Long Route

Distance: 50km

The long route is a challenging course that takes riders through the scenic vineyards of Lourensford Wine Estate. You might have had a taste of this at previous Lourensford Classics, so come back and experience even more stunning trails; these have been opened exclusively for the Vigne à Vigne presented by Cape Times.

I've heard that the 50km route is both tough (lots of climbs) and technical/rocky.

So, as a roadie with limited mtb skills, I think I'll be giving the short route a go.! :thumbup:

I've heard that the 50km route is both tough (lots of climbs) and technical/rocky.

So, as a roadie with limited mtb skills, I think I'll be giving the short route a go.! :thumbup:

When you stand on the farm you will quickly realize why it is tough. The Farm is surrounded by mountains, you need to climb to get up there and then you climb some more from one mountain to the next. You will spend most of the time in the surrounding mountains ... mountain biking ;)

I normally do the longer races, but i've only ever done the short distance in this event, love it! Will be doing the 27km again this year.

Rode it in 2010 with my 12 year old son. If it's the same route then its essentially up the mountain and then down the mountain. As has been mentioned it was quite congested. The most technical bits were riding between slower and walking riders on some of the steep muddy sections.

We did it in 2h13, having taken it easy on the climbs as my son had a bit of a tough day. I would rate it as a hard ride for a unfit rider, but pretty easy if you're fit and can climb, no serious MTB skills needed. Remember that it can get very hot there. A few years ago everyone battled at some MTB ride in Lourensford when the temperature soared.

Edited by Pegasus

The 55 is extremely tough, constant hills. Imagine fitting half the Argus on one farm... the only way to do that is go up and down constantly, but it is the most beautiful route I have cycled.

So what is the conclusion now? Worth the R180 or not? Doing the rd race sat 26 march at Riebeeck and then i have to wait till 16 April for anoter race :rolleyes:

i just received both profiles the 26km and the 55km from danielle McDonald Events Assistant Absa Cape Epic ...we have an early lourensford classic...damn!

post-5290-0-79320000-1300861615.jpg