CHAMOIS CREAM: Interesting Point About Using Methods

'Dale

Apparently some riders, like Jens Voight, only applies it to the saddle for protection and not on his bum... :blink:

QUESTION

i’ve been riding bikes for over 20 years, but have never raced on the road. I’m training to race this season and I wanted to ask about chamois cream. I’ve never used it before, despite logging thousands of miles, and have never had chafing or any other problems down south. Are there some people who just don’t require it? Or should I consider using it for my race training? If so, what would you recommend?

— Dave

ANSWER

Dave,

Chamois cream is no substitute for a good bike fit, an adequate chamois pad, and good personal hygiene. In the old days when chamois were actually made of leather, a cream to keep them soft was crucial. That’s not the case anymore with all of the high tech materials. Today riders needs to choose a chamois that works their anatomy (trial and error), keep themselves clean, keep the chamois clean, make sure their bike fits (including saddle choice, which is critical) and use a cream or lubricant as needed.

At the first sign of chaffing or bruising, think about a day off the bike, if you’re in a stage race, or that is not an option, consider a high quality chamois cream. If you ever become totally dependent on cream for comfort, something is wrong and you should seek professional medical advice.

— Andy Pruitt

Apparently some riders, like Jens Voight, only applies it to the saddle for protection and not on his bum... :blink:

But Jens Voight's so hardcore, his saddle needs protection from him, not the other way round.

Ah the good olde days of rubbing cream into our saddles to stop them cracking...

I use chamois cream for 3 hour+ rides nothing else. I also use it daily for stage racing as a precaution.

I do agree though - if you need it daily it points to problems elsewhere...

Ah the good olde days of rubbing cream into our saddles to stop them cracking...

I use chamois cream for 3 hour+ rides nothing else. I also use it daily for stage racing as a precaution.

I do agree though - if you need it daily it points to problems elsewhere...

Dubbin perhaps :unsure:

I don't agree I use chamois cream every day for no other reason that it kills all bacteria and are very hygienic. I think it's about personal preverance...

i had my 1st chamois cream experience the other day, and it was AWESOME.

Did you least get breakfast or a kiss after your "AWESOME" experience ?

Yeah, I use it every ride even on a 90 minute session.

Cycling is hard enough.

I will do whatever I can to ease the pain... :blush:

I use chammy cream daily...it helps settle the toolbox into position and keep it movable. as well as softening the saddle connection.

I have ridden dry a few times and it just feels wrong. i dont get Chafe or anything, it just isn't as comfortable.

I ride 5 times a week and yeah you know what they say - prevention is better than cure. :thumbup:

I don't agree I use chamois cream every day for no other reason that it kills all bacteria and are very hygienic. I think it's about personal preverance...

The Chamois I bring from Italy for my kits are all anti bacterial treated, they have anti bacterial fibres in to keep them that way. So it is also all really about the quality of shorts you purchase :thumbup:

Every1 is soft,

Tinker Juarez doesn't even ride with a chamois in his bibs :blink: lol hectic

Yeah but his ass is also smaller than the seat :o and he even weighs less than the whole bike ......

Yeah but his ass is also smaller than the seat :o and he even weighs less than the whole bike ......

lol legend that man