Formula 1...

'Dale

Pretty sure Force India have already confirmed Merc engines for 2014 and beyond... those Ferrari rumours were from last yr I think - been clarified since.

Renault have a challenge - as you say they are apparently more expensive but they need more customer teams to stay viable in F1

FI has a technical co-op deal with McLaren just like Murassia. Engine contract expires end of this year. That's part of FI's long delay last year with announcing a driver. Thinking was Bianchi with a 2014 engine deal, but they couldn't agree terms with Fer.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2013/3/14419.html

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My bad, you're correct. There were rumours, but they have since co firmed Merc for 2014 and beyond.

So it looks like this:

Ferrari

Ferrari

Sauber

Mercedes

Mercedes

McLaren (Moves to Honda in 2015)

Force India

Williams

Renault

Red Bull

Toro Rosso

TBC:

Caterham (Almost certainly Renault due to road car ties)

Murassia (Most likely Ferrari with Jules Bianchi thrown in)

Lotus (Lots of rumors with it sounding fairly certain they won't be running Renault due to cost and hefty deposits)

Can't wait for Honda to get into the mix again and more so that they will only be involved from an engine poit of view. Their first F1 foray was always hampered by a poor chassis but the engine wasn't too shabby at all.

If they could somehow get around contravening any F1 rules and manage to run a seamless gearbox as used by the Factory HRC Honda's in MotoGP then they will have a formidable package indeed. Here's hoping, no real innovation in F1 for a while, unless you think trivial things like KERS or DRC or some other acronym are innovative that is.

Can't wait for Honda to get into the mix again and more so that they will only be involved from an engine poit of view. Their first F1 foray was always hampered by a poor chassis but the engine wasn't too shabby at all.

If they could somehow get around contravening any F1 rules and manage to run a seamless gearbox as used by the Factory HRC Honda's in MotoGP then they will have a formidable package indeed. Here's hoping, no real innovation in F1 for a while, unless you think trivial things like KERS or DRC or some other acronym are innovative that is.

KERS version 2014 is not going to be so micky mouse. But I hear ya - very regulated these days. its a catch 22 - I am old school and would love there to be a lot of lattitude for innovation - but then we would likely not see such a close spread of times as we do today.

Lets hope the smaller engines have some character in their sound they emit

those that have heard them give good reports...

KERS version 2014 is not going to be so micky mouse. But I hear ya - very regulated these days. its a catch 22 - I am old school and would love there to be a lot of lattitude for innovation - but then we would likely not see such a close spread of times as we do today.

F1, MotoGP and pretty much every other motorsport series I can think of have been seriously disadvantaged with the introduction of traction control.

The BSB series has now recently gone back to a format where it is limiting or completely doing away with the traction control and the series is the better for it IMO.

I'm not saying it is the solution to all the problems but the racing would be better IMO.

F1 and MotoGP are the 2 series I try to follow whenever I can and there are more and more races that end up being done and dusted after 5 - 10 laps and then you sit and basically watch them lap to the end. With F1 there is at least pitstops to mix up the running order but in the MotoGP once there are gaps is over barring a massive tyre issue, etc.

No TC and I would be as happy as a pig in $#!t!!!

Hey, but then you should be happy.... as far as I know, TC has been banned for a good couple of years. Still remember Massa loosing it on the exit of the T1 complex in Aus, first race after TC ban. Wasn't that the start of the new uniform EMS "black box" - because the teams were starting to "suspect" each others' semi-auto boxes and how that relates to TC. Anyways, that's how I have it - may have missed a reverse change in the meanwhile! But I expect that's why you now have guys with less optimal starts, spinning it up a bit (Kimi this year a couple of times, Webber bogging down numerous times this year and esp last...), etc.

Yeah, the BAR006 was a good car, the 007 was not too bad... but not on the same level, but in same season Renault won with Alonso, which made it a bit political for Honda, saying they can do a better job with the chassis and bought out BAR. And then Honda came in fully and took over... and I feel, ruined the project. They should've stuck to the engine side, which they did well. (BTW, this was not their first forray into F1, but that's besides the point...) Agreed, they had an engine of note and not the expertise on the rest of the dept. And then, irony of all ironies, as they withdrew, sold it and Brawn went on to win the championship with essentially a car they developed! Which, if you want to go even further into ironies... is now Mercedes!

Hey, but then you should be happy.... as far as I know, TC has been banned for a good couple of years...

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/technical_regulations/8710/fia.html

ARTICLE 9: TRANSMISSION SYSTEM

9.3 Traction control

No car may be equipped with a system or device which is capable of preventing the driven wheels from spinning under power or of compensating for excessive torque demand by the driver. Any device or system which notifies the driver of the onset of wheel spin is not permitted.

http://www.formula1....s/8710/fia.html

ARTICLE 9: TRANSMISSION SYSTEM

9.3 Traction control

No car may be equipped with a system or device which is capable of preventing the driven wheels from spinning under power or of compensating for excessive torque demand by the driver. Any device or system which notifies the driver of the onset of wheel spin is not permitted.

there was a similar reg when schumi won at benetton too... That didn't stop them having a TC system... :whistling:

Hence today's common ECU...

I seem to remember, Senna suggesting that the Benetton had a clandestine TC system in 1994. Was this proven or did Flavio pull the wool over the eyes of the FIA?

Edited by Padawan

I seem to remember, Senna suggesting that the Benetton had a clandestine TC system in 1994. Was this proven or did Flavio pull the wool over the eyes of the FIA?

I think it was disproven when they showed Schumacher was tapping on the throttle at something like 10 taps a second.

It sound rediculous, but Michael Flatley had recorded 28 taps per second while doing his Irish dance thing.

I have no idea who tried to count them.