15 Esteban Gutierrez Sauber 1:42.904 +2.213 23 laps

16 Jules Bianchi Marussia 1:43.825 +3.134 18 laps

17 Marcus Ericsson Caterham 1:45.775 +5.084 24 laps

18 Max Chilton Marussia 1:46.911 +6.220 10 laps

19 Kamui Kobayashi Caterham 1:51.180 +10.489 5 laps

20 Romain Grosjean Lotus No time 4 laps

21 Sergio Perez Force India No time 2 laps

22 Pastor Maldonado Lotus No time 2 laps

As far as I'm aware, all must use the FIA sensor... for the new F1 economy run series!

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Evry team run one of their own in addition to the FIA one. During the race the FIA can to their own discretion tell the teams to switch over to the reading of their own sensor if the FIA's failed or reading become erratic.

Evry team run one of their own in addition to the FIA one. During the race the FIA can to their own discretion tell the teams to switch over to the reading of their own sensor if the FIA's failed or reading become erratic.

Thats very interesting. Thanks

See Alonso's victory in Malaysia 2012 where he won in the rain in the worst Ferrari in several decades... The best will pull rabbits out of hats even if they have no chance in the title race.

You're arguing using a rainy race as a comparison? That's a bit silly bro. Peak HP means a LOT less in a wet race. You can't even put full throttle down on those days. Then it comes down to smoothness and chassis design.

You're arguing using a rainy race as a comparison? That's a bit silly bro. Peak HP means a LOT less in a wet race. You can't even put full throttle down on those days. Then it comes down to smoothness and chassis design.

Okay then, I expect Vettel to win in the wet this season no matter what the performance of his car is :ph34r: :whistling:

Okay then, I expect Vettel to win in the wet this season no matter what the performance of his car is :ph34r: :whistling:

Judging by Vettels speed in Fp 2, you could well be right. He was right on the pace. I will be the first to admit, I did not think they would turn it around so quickly. Kimi looking mighty strong. He is a serious contender this weekend. So far the Ferrari engine has been the most reliable. Go Kimi.

No way he is better in the wet than Alonso or Kimi.

Judging by Vettels speed in Fp 2, you could well be right. He was right on the pace. I will be the first to admit, I did not think they would turn it around so quickly. Kimi looking mighty strong. He is a serious contender this weekend. So far the Ferrari engine has been the most reliable. Go Kimi.

You can never write off an Adrian Newey car!

Thats very interesting. Thanks

Shot. Some more info from JA on F1

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/03/fuel-sensors-not-good-enough-for-f1-says-horner-as-fia-go-public-to-defend-themselves/

The nub of the problem, Whiting observed, is that the rules state that if there is a problem with a sensor teams have to use a back up solution which has been calibrated against a known sensor. Red Bull did not do this, whatever the accuracy they may claim for their own system, it had not been calibrated against a known sensor in a controlled environment. This will be central to the FIA’s case at appeal.

Horner said that the fuel rail, which they used to measure the flow in the race, had been sealed after the race, taken back to Renault’s base in Paris and tested with observers present and had given the same reading as in the race in Melbourne. This will form the nub of their case at the appeal; that they did not break the rules of 100kg/hour at any time in the race.

Experts and engineers here in Kuala Lumpur can see both sides of the argument. Red Bull may turn out to be right, their measurements may turn out to be accurate, but they didn’t follow due process, according to the FIA.

As the FIA is responsible for sporting fairness, “Our role is fair regulation” as Lom put it, it seeks to create and enforce rules which can apply fairly to all 11 teams, not individual exceptions, they feel that they have a strong case and the other teams hope that the FIA prevails otherwise rule enforcement could get like the Wild West.

FIA briefing notes, from Fabrice Lom

Why is there a fuel flow limit?

Because with a turbo engine you have to limit the power otherwise you would have drivers using over 1,000hp at times, while others were fuel saving, the speed differential would be enormous and dangerous. Additionally the message from the new hybrid F1 rules is efficiency, 35% more performance from a drop of fuel than the old V8s. It’s not about monster power for short bursts.

How are the sensors calibrated?

The FIA takes steps to ensure that the sensors are accurate and the same for all teams. Team X gives its sensors and a sample of it’s fuel to the FIA and they contract a company called Calibra to calibrate the sensors to the fuel, by placing them in series and checking each against a known reference sensor. This is carried out in various conditions and at five different temperatures.

During the race weekend the teams tell the FIA which sensor they are using. Each sensor is bought and owned by the team, at a cost of £4,500 each and is regulated by the FIA.

Where does the fuel flow sensor sit?

Inside the fuel cell, in the low pressure area.

What is the limit the FIA will accept for a car going over the 100kg/hour limit before they act against the team?

If a car goes 1% over the 100kg/limit for 10 seconds in any given lap, they are warned by the FIA and asked to make an offset or switch to a back up. This adds up to 3 grammes of fuel per lap above the limit, which is the cut off for intervention (NB The FIA contends that the Red Bull sensor was not faulty and had not broken on Ricciardo’s car in Australia)

What happens if a car hits that limit?

If the FIA feels that a sensor is drifting in its reading (which it contends is very obvious) it reverts to the back up, which has been planned for and the back up has been calibrated against an official sensor. They cannot accept an alternative system for measurement because it has not been calibrated against a known sensor.

Article 5.10 of the technical regulations says that the fuel can only be measured by a homologated sensor and there is only one sensor, which is made by Gill Sensors.

How long do sensors last?

They need to be recalibrated after 100 hours and their life is 400 hours. It should be theoretically possible to do the F1 season on two sensors.

Shot. Some more info from JA on F1

http://www.jamesalle...end-themselves/

The nub of the problem, Whiting observed, is that the rules state that if there is a problem with a sensor teams have to use a back up solution which has been calibrated against a known sensor. Red Bull did not do this, whatever the accuracy they may claim for their own system, it had not been calibrated against a known sensor in a controlled environment. This will be central to the FIA’s case at appeal.

Horner said that the fuel rail, which they used to measure the flow in the race, had been sealed after the race, taken back to Renault’s base in Paris and tested with observers present and had given the same reading as in the race in Melbourne. This will form the nub of their case at the appeal; that they did not break the rules of 100kg/hour at any time in the race.

Experts and engineers here in Kuala Lumpur can see both sides of the argument. Red Bull may turn out to be right, their measurements may turn out to be accurate, but they didn’t follow due process, according to the FIA.

As the FIA is responsible for sporting fairness, “Our role is fair regulation” as Lom put it, it seeks to create and enforce rules which can apply fairly to all 11 teams, not individual exceptions, they feel that they have a strong case and the other teams hope that the FIA prevails otherwise rule enforcement could get like the Wild West.

FIA briefing notes, from Fabrice Lom

Why is there a fuel flow limit?

Because with a turbo engine you have to limit the power otherwise you would have drivers using over 1,000hp at times, while others were fuel saving, the speed differential would be enormous and dangerous. Additionally the message from the new hybrid F1 rules is efficiency, 35% more performance from a drop of fuel than the old V8s. It’s not about monster power for short bursts.

How are the sensors calibrated?

The FIA takes steps to ensure that the sensors are accurate and the same for all teams. Team X gives its sensors and a sample of it’s fuel to the FIA and they contract a company called Calibra to calibrate the sensors to the fuel, by placing them in series and checking each against a known reference sensor. This is carried out in various conditions and at five different temperatures.

During the race weekend the teams tell the FIA which sensor they are using. Each sensor is bought and owned by the team, at a cost of £4,500 each and is regulated by the FIA.

Where does the fuel flow sensor sit?

Inside the fuel cell, in the low pressure area.

What is the limit the FIA will accept for a car going over the 100kg/hour limit before they act against the team?

If a car goes 1% over the 100kg/limit for 10 seconds in any given lap, they are warned by the FIA and asked to make an offset or switch to a back up. This adds up to 3 grammes of fuel per lap above the limit, which is the cut off for intervention (NB The FIA contends that the Red Bull sensor was not faulty and had not broken on Ricciardo’s car in Australia)

What happens if a car hits that limit?

If the FIA feels that a sensor is drifting in its reading (which it contends is very obvious) it reverts to the back up, which has been planned for and the back up has been calibrated against an official sensor. They cannot accept an alternative system for measurement because it has not been calibrated against a known sensor.

Article 5.10 of the technical regulations says that the fuel can only be measured by a homologated sensor and there is only one sensor, which is made by Gill Sensors.

How long do sensors last?

They need to be recalibrated after 100 hours and their life is 400 hours. It should be theoretically possible to do the F1 season on two sensors.

From now on, when I need any F1 advice. I contact Iwan Kemp. Dude, seriously. You rock. :thumbup: