MTB in the UK

Nic0000

So it looks like I getting roped into going to the UK for a year after I finish my articles. Being a nube to travel Im not too sure what I can expect over there... I know the ALps are just a stones throw away but there no gaurantee Im gona make it there often enough to satisfy my needs!

So I guess Im looking for other Hubber's rants and raves about what I can expect if I do go...

Im sure its not going to be the same as Sunny South Africa's amazing trails but Im hoping I can find enough to get by?

So it looks like I getting roped into going to the UK for a year after I finish my articles. Being a nube to travel Im not too sure what I can expect over there... I know the ALps are just a stones throw away but there no gaurantee Im gona make it there often enough to satisfy my needs!

So I guess Im looking for other Hubber's rants and raves about what I can expect if I do go...

Im sure its not going to be the same as Sunny South Africa's amazing trails but Im hoping I can find enough to get by?

Rain,mud,cold and misery

Subscribe to Mountain Bike UK and What Mountain Bike and there are plenty of trail reports etc

My son is Manchester at the moment and cannot believe what they call spring

There is definitely a lot of opportunity....but the challenges are very different. I have friends who went from road to mtb when they moved there. Once they got used to being cold and muddy, they started having plenty fun :thumbup:

Depends where mate, last time i was there i did twrch trail in cwmcarn wales, absolutly brilliant,

Loads and loads of trails and mountain bike clubs...

depends on what type of riding you do, there's lots of AM and FR stuff in wales and the peak district and scotland has some incredible AM and FR.

If you're an XC person then look at xcracer.com.

There are plenty of websites out there. Join a club and get the hell out of london as soon or as often as possible that place sucks souls.

Where in the UK? If London there are a few places, I used to ride Epping Forrest.

Make the best of it ! Theres plenty of good riding there - if you get the chance do the End to End in the Isle of Man. Cold but one hell of a ride.

Whats is awesome there is that you can hook up some trails (even in london along the Thames - up by Kingston and Richmond - are some great little trails) and then ride to the pub or coffee shop for brekkie wihtout too much hassle from other road users.

Dont buy any more kit here. Winter gloves here and winter gloves there are different :D

MTB in the UK is absolutely huge! Once you get over the fact that the weather is sh&te almost all the time - and I suggest you do - then you'll have a blast if you're keen to make an effort. Buy the right kit for the conditions and research the riding and you'll love it.

There are numerous trail centres with some of the best riding in the world and then there are just the trails around the entire country. There are so many bridleways that are open to the public that you can ride basically the entire country. And it being a quite a small country, there's not much effort to driving (or taking the train) somewhere nice for the weekend.

As someone said before, start buying the UK bike mags; I have a preference for WMB, but MBR is good too, and they always have tons of info on trails including providing OS maps that you can pull out for the all the routes they review/ride.

Whilst you're there try to get to these places: Lake District, Snowdon, Afan and I think Jacob's Ladder would be a blast just to see if you can do it!

So start buying those waterproof duds, get over the fact that you'll always get cold, muddy and wet on your rides and have fun...

If you wanna buy some decent second hand winter gear for the UK Ive got. Jackets, gloves etc.

My son is over there now and riding the Dalby Dare on the WC XC course the day before the World Cup Cross Country on the 21st May.Its being held in Dalby Forest Yorkshire.Looks like very good riding :thumbup:

Pity they do not have a similar race for the PMB World Cup over Easter

Lived in Edinburgh for 5 years - awesome (though wet and dark) riding. Great trail centres, excellent access rights (any path anywhere can be ridden on in Scotland), lots of long distance adventure routes, etc.

Get a light, a mudguard, a winter singlespeed, warm clothes and ride.

One of the greats is that there a rea number of excellent online stores that will post for free and next day delivery (evanscycles,CRC)...perfect for that cold snap when you thought that SA winter jacket may have done the trick but you realise its not even close...

Wow guys thanks so much for the feed back! Although I struggle with the cold (Come from Natal North Coast!), keen I definitely am, so by the sounds of things if I just do my home work and prepare its actually going to be really good!

Stoked!

Oh and one other thing... Im pretty sure I wont have to worry about being shot in the arse for my bike!