MTB in the UK

Nic0000

Oh and one other thing... Im pretty sure I wont have to worry about being shot in the arse for my bike!

you might not be shot for your bike but bike theft is a huge problem over there so don't let your guard down. BTW - England has a huge amount of low level crime such as thefts, assaults etc and pretty big drug problems and social problems with the "yoofs" (youths). Saffers often end up as victims because they let their guards down and don't expect crime over there. I lived there for five years. On the bright side they have a cycle to work scheme which subsidises the purchase of a bike - not sure if it only applies to UK citizens though.

Edited by Andrew_ew

you might not be shot for your bike but bike theft is a huge problem over there so don't let your guard down. BTW - England has a huge amount of low level crime such as thefts, assaults etc and pretty big drug problems and social problems with the "yoofs" (youths). Saffers often end up as victims because they let their guards down and don't expect crime over there. I lived there for five years. On the bright side they have a cycle to work scheme which subsidises the purchase of a bike - not sure if it only applies to UK citizens though.

Thats some good points, I used to have to carry around two level 5(gold) chain locks, and a thinner chain for any time I wasn't on the bike. So in short never leave the bike alone for a second, it will get knicked :(

The bike subsidies only applies to UK citizins as far as I know

Oh and one other thing... Im pretty sure I wont have to worry about being shot in the arse for my bike!

Yeah, but a knife might be pulled as happened to me, the $hits hunt in packs.

The take bike theft seriously in the UK.

YES! I had 3 x bikes stolen in a year of living there. Thought I had a good lock. Bliksemse scaly white trash.

A good lock is imperative, even insurance won't pay out if the lock is not of a certain level(gold level) and they cost a bit. As I said before I used to cruise around town with three chains all the time, a fair amount of extra weight to carry with you, but save having to buy another bike, this was only while commuting around London.

Yea and keep one of em chains around your neck to beat off those scalies!

Eish, I now keep them in the car to beat off the scalies here. Had to pull it out while shopping at The Pavillion after a Taxi ran me off the road, the guy $hat himself when I got out looking like Whiplash from Ironman, and legged it. :lol:

Thats some good points, I used to have to carry around two level 5(gold) chain locks, and a thinner chain for any time I wasn't on the bike. So in short never leave the bike alone for a second, it will get knicked :(

The bike subsidies only applies to UK citizins as far as I know

Nah you don't have to be a UK citizen, you just have to be an employee of a company participating in an approved scheme (eg Ride 2 work or Cyclescheme) and you qualify.

If you plan on living in London, and probably South West London with the rest of the saffers, then the Surrey Hills will be your regular haunt where there is some great singletrack, technical rooty trails and testing climbs. Also some pretty stunning views on a nice day. It can be a schlep getting there if you don't have a car tho as its a 30 minute train ride to Dorking from SW London.

Heading further afield from London the facilities and trails in South Wales and Scotland are second to none.

Keep in mind there is no such thing as the wrong weather only the wrong kit, buy yourself some sealskinz waterproof socks, some waterproof overshoes, some proper gore-tex full finger gloves, base layers with decent wicking properties, and you'll be fine :)

Enjoy the riding there!

Check out Mtb action´s comments on the newly completed olympic mtb course - they use the word pathetic in the heading!

Bikeradar on the other hand included a rave review, I was suprise since these guys usually scoff at anything not technical.

back to your question - coming from South Africa, cycling in the UK will take some getting use to. Keep in mind you do not move to the UK if outdoor living is your goal. They have some excellent trails, but you have to travel far.

Edited by vanniri

Make the best of it ! Theres plenty of good riding there - if you get the chance do the End to End in the Isle of Man. Cold but one hell of a ride.

Whats is awesome there is that you can hook up some trails (even in london along the Thames - up by Kingston and Richmond - are some great little trails) and then ride to the pub or coffee shop for brekkie wihtout too much hassle from other road users.

Dont buy any more kit here. Winter gloves here and winter gloves there are different :D

Ditto! I moved to Richmond 6 months ago -there is plenty of riding here!

You will probably not get to ride as much during the week, but there are magic trails within less than an hour from London (Southdowns way/Surrey) and then of course - there is Wales.

There is also no hassle with private land and angry farmers, there are public byways almost everywhere. When you get here, PM me and we can arrange a lekker ride out Dorking way...