But there is only one

I hope someday you'll join us

And the gear will be one

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True Caerus! And Lamber, if I had a point, I never knew what it was. However, I'm in the mood today where it's easier and safer to call MTBers morons, because calling the morons around me MTBers wouldn't be as effective or meaningful or ... well, anything.

I feel inspired by the advocate who told the judge, "Jou Ma se ..." yesterday. (This may come from spending Tuesday,from 8:15am to 3:15pm at SARS, only to be told that I had to go to another office to do what I needed to.)

Anyway, MTB can't become road racing until they get coffee shops in the forests.

Imagine there's no gears

It's easy if you try

No roadie below us

Above us only sky

Imagine all the people

riding one gear

Imagine there's no CSA

It isn't hard to do

Nothing to kill or die for

And no UCI too

Imagine all the people

cycling life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer

But there is only one

And the gear will be one

Imagine no carbon fibre

I wonder if you can

No need for greed or hunger

A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people

Cycling all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer

But there is only one

And the gear will be one

Bwahahaha! That's brilliant! You might have rescued my day.

True Caerus! And Lamber, if I had a point, I never knew what it was. However, I'm in the mood today where it's easier and safer to call MTBers morons, because calling the morons around me MTBers wouldn't be as effective or meaningful or ... well, anything.

I feel inspired by the advocate who told the judge, "Jou Ma se ..." yesterday. (This may come from spending Tuesday,from 8:15am to 3:15pm at SARS, only to be told that I had to go to another office to do what I needed to.)

Anyway, MTB can't become road racing until they get coffee shops in the forests.

What a great idea :D

And then MTBiking as Toyota Landcruiser Pickup, with a helluva turbo! Rough, touch, goes like sh!t on downhills and afterwards you can use the bonnet for the braai! :thumbup:

And generally also get washed into the sea because the owner is an idiot :rolleyes:

Between, Keith Bonrager, Gary Fisher ,Mike Sinyard to name a few, there has to be history of some sorts ?

Ned Overend has more tradition in his left pinky than what Contador has in both his Clen infested nuts.

More character in MTB than what road will ever have ,MTB has downhillers, free riders, singlespeeders, XC riders, four cross nuts........

@ Bontie, that's the other B-man :D

A bunch of guys who rode bombers with tekkies don't make a legend. These guys can at best be classified as cult characters with the emphasis on characters. Legends they are not... Coppi, Bartali, Merckx, Armstrong, Pantani, Anquetil, Poulidor -those are LEGENDS!

...as for drug taking, the worst kind of drug cheats came from mountainbiking: Landis and Rasmussen - druggies with NO character!

Nothingness - (serious question) do you know how many people watch the TdF and the spring races ?

Possibly any stats on how this compares to say the Epic or any of the other *big* mountain bike rides ?

A bunch of guys who rode bombers with tekkies don't make a legend. These guys can at best be classified as cult characters with the emphasis on characters. Legends they are not... Coppi, Bartali, Merckx, Armstrong, Pantani, Anquetil, Poulidor -those are LEGENDS!

...as for drug taking, the worst kind of drug cheats came from mountainbiking: Landis and Rasmussen - druggies with NO character!

Hahahahahaha

2 MTB riders of which one was never considered a real MTB rider and his poor TT set-up shows that he is not a good road rider either, which effectively leaves one amongst all the others, not too bad don't you think ?

How clean do you think Mr. Merckx raced ?

Nothingness - (serious question) do you know how many people watch the TdF and the spring races ?

Possibly any stats on how this compares to say the Epic or any of the other *big* mountain bike rides ?

That viewership will outnumber the MTB events by far.

You must be taking the piss...

Think there is a lot of truth to this post. When riding the fantastic singletrack in Tokai, I always see tons of guys in tight lycra who only seem to ride the 4x4 roads. All this beatifull trail and guys just stick to the jeep tracks?

Singletrack and getting dirty on trails is what got me into mtb. Seems the sport is splitting more and more. Not sure you can say road and mtb riding anymore. mtb now covers xc, freeriding, downhill, dj, trial riding - each a different sport and culture.

mmm I think road racing has alot of tradition and history.

Mtn biking will all its splits in disciplines still has some way to go.

In terms of stage riding (mtnbikes), I think the lack of viewrship on the roadside means the traditions are more insular than with the general public.

I somehow also think that more people see road riding as something that is "accessible" and "easy". The numbers of the argus and 94.7 are an example. I cannot imagine 30 000 odd riders doing the argus mtn bike ride.

Perhaps the question to ask - is why is mtn biking such an elitist sport, excluding so many (expensive, needs "special skills" etc)

Perhaps the question to ask - is why is mtn biking such an elitist sport, excluding so many (expensive, needs "special skills" etc)

Bit of a contradiction from your side.

Entry level MTB's are much more affordable than entry level road bikes so there is mo reason why there should not be more people on MTB's.

As for comparing Argus numbers road VS. off road, who knows, in years to come this might just level out.

Skills, well yes riding off road takes a bit more skill than hanging on to a pair of STI's, so people are scared, as for me, I will rather take my chances down a washed out rutted single-track than the Jo'Burg motorists.

Please don't make the mistake of equating the South African funriding culture with road racing. There's no comparison. :lol:

Dangle, I love mountainbiking and I'll be the first to admit that it has history and character (not so sure about tradition though). It is, however, a much younger and newer sport (Aren't Bontrager, Fisher and Sinyard all still alive? :P ) so there's no way that it could (at least not at this stage) have as rich a history and as much character as road cycling.

Must agree with you in respect of Contador - but since when does Contador represent a whole sport, which is over a century old? And what does doping have to do with it? [if by your reference to his clen infested nuts you are implying that mountainbiking is cleaner than road cycling, you're in for a rude awakening... :P ] Doping itself has its whole own history and is not restricted to only certain sports.

You forgot bmx and dual. ;) And where do trackies, fixies and cyclocross riders fit in? What about folding bike and rollapalooza racing? I don't think diversification equates to character, but that's just my view.

Any way, road racing and mountainbiking (whatever you include under either heading) are just way to different to be compared on a which-is-better-harder-tougher-my-is-dad-is-stronger-than-your-dad way. Or in any way actually.

But if road cycling didn't have (granted, at least for the timebeing) more history, tradition and character - why is mountainbiking using some of their concepts? :)

My Post Of The Day!

http://tagadavao.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/applause.gif?w=223&h=229

Bit of a contradiction from your side.

Entry level MTB's are much more affordable than entry level road bikes so there is mo reason why there should not be more people on MTB's.

As for comparing Argus numbers road VS. off road, who knows, in years to come this might just level out.

Skills, well yes riding off road takes a bit more skill than hanging on to a pair of STI's, so people are scared, as for me, I will rather take my chances down a washed out rutted single-track than the Jo'Burg motorists.

And right there I think is why it seems like loads of people think mountain biking is about riding on hard compact dirt roads. Entry level bikes for entry level roads. Not this ride up a mountain with rocks and sand and break a colarbone and call it epic.