Car occupants knock down cyclist in Paarl suburb and flee with his bike

paarlmtb

2 in one day! I hate to push this even more, but Thank the Saints I am taking myself and the family out of here in 3 months time. It is getting seriously out of control, with incidents happening every single day. I would much rather ride in the cold, up some green mountain road, cars showing me a little more tolerence, than riding in the sunshine with a gun in my back pocket!

Even contemplating just packing it in now and take 3 months off the bike.... who knows what might happen!

The problem is if you try to take them on they will simply just shoot or stab you. They have no respect for life and dont think twice before they kill you. This make for a very bad situation. The only thing that will work is to treat them with the same respect they treat you (none). I for one dont want to ride with a fire arm. These ******* should simply be shot

the problem i keep thinking about is, if we retaliate - what proof do we have that they tried to rob us...

As usual the victims (us) will get into more k@k coz these waste of fresh air criminals will just say they were walking along the road and we attacked them.

I was almost pushed off my bike in an attempted bike-jacking a while ago... I seriously thought about turning around and d0nnering the k@k out of this oke - but imagine a cop car (with our luck that would happen) comes along and here is cyclist beating the sh!t out of another dude... i'd get in k@k, and the criminal would deny he was trying to rob me...

:(

[Hi-jack on]

I can't but help wondering if the increases in these types of attacks don't suggest a massive organised crime ring? Or am I being too conspiracy-theory like?

Where are all these bicyles going? It cannot simply be that a large portion of the criminals in this country have suddenly developed an interest in healthy living, and are now desirous of owning a bike?

Are we unknowingly purchasing stolen bikes back through forums like Gumtree, and dare I say it, the Hub? :blink:

Are these bikes making their way into Africa - but at what premium? The rest of the world? Or are they being sold off piecemeal somewhere?

Maybe we're all becoming more aware of it - which sees more incidents being reported, and thereby creating the impression that things are getting worse?

Boggles my mind...

[Hi-jack off]

Glad to hear the gentleman is alright. I literally live around the corner from Burg street - ride up it if I'm returning from the Arboretum... cannot comprehend this happening there? Vrykyk is such a "quite" neighbourhood... :unsure:

And - wth - an Audi A3 nogal? Was this stolen? Were they specifically waiting for a cyclist - or was this simply an opportunity crime? Strange days indeed...

My boss was just saying that in Cape Town(not sure how true this is) they are now taking to ram raiding the bike stores and stealing to order. Its not random bikes that are being taken, they exactly to take.

My boss was just saying that in Cape Town(not sure how true this is) they are now taking to ram raiding the bike stores and stealing to order. Its not random bikes that are being taken, they exactly to take.

Happened to shop in Paarden Eiland a while back - literally smashed through the shops front window, loaded the bikes in a bakkie and rode away...

eventually found some of the bikes in Chubb security call room - I kid you not!

Edited by MariusL

Guest Frail4Life

Quick question?

When the suspects took the bike, did Mr Rodney see how they loaded the Bike into car?

May distingwish if the Suspects had any knowledge about bikes.

Just a point.

Happened to CWC towards the end of last year also. High end bikes taken.

Am I the only one who thinks this story sounds a little suspect? The guy's riding his bike and two guys in an Audi A3 try to run him over, twice? Sounds like there's a little more to this story if you ask me.

I call BS, if only because it's a massive mission to loading a bike into an A3, for unless it's the sportback model, it's 2 door, with fold down seats. Your front wheel MUST come off, and then u must still struggle to get the bike into the car, unless u drive off with it while holding it outside thru the window :unsure:

Some might say, pop hte hatch, drop the rear seats, and toss in the bike. Go ahead, be my guest, see how long that takes you...

Edited by Capricorn

Another story on the same day in a different part of the country. At least the chap got out alive! I'm going to look up those bonebreaker batons - probably better than being totally unarmed these days

Am I the only one who thinks this story sounds a little suspect? The guy's riding his bike and two guys in an Audi A3 try to run him over, twice? Sounds like there's a little more to this story if you ask me.

Been thinking about it as well, and it does sound odd, no? They were parked at the side of the road at 06:00 in the morning, and then just randomly decide to pick on him? And if they were waiting to get his bike - why arrive in an A3? And he said they only left him alone when he started knocking on doors, and then rode off with the bike - like an afterthought?

Strange days...

How does one throw a bicycle into an A3 and drive off in presumably a few seconds? Even hardened cyclists would take a few minutes to re-configure their vehicle (back seat down), take the front wheel off and load the bike in the car.

Something does not add up here.

Not to mention that everything on the continent is poisonous, and tries to kill you.

Nah, their sheilas aren't that bad... ;)

I guess we don't really know what happened - all speculation based on a newspaper article, and let's be honest - the media has been making some major gaffes of late... :blush:

Let's just hope that someone will get to the bottom of this...

The wife/government has already made it clear that she is not happy with me cycling alone anymore... :rolleyes:

I keep on trying to tell her that I always take both my *guns* with me. :P

For more clarity visit the noticeboard on www.paarlmtb.com

Doubt primary objective was bike theft.

They battled to get the bike in the car and were trying to force it in. Bike was definitely damaged after being hit by the car

Bs WTF dude, hope you are never in the wrong place at the wrong time!!!!!

For more clarity visit the noticeboard on www.paarlmtb.com

Doubt primary objective was bike theft.

They battled to get the bike in the car and were trying to force it in. Bike was definitely damaged after being hit by the car

Bs WTF dude, hope you are never in the wrong place at the wrong time!!!!!

:cursing:

Had a quick read - thanks for the link - it explains things much better... Madness - bet the car was stolen as well. Unbelievable! Here's hoping Captain Korabie and Co. will be able to find them... :o