Cost of Events

deanmor

Do you think the cost of events is too high?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the cost of events is too high?

• Yes
    • No

Hi everyone,

Having just ridden the MTB marathon (40km) event and then the Holla Trails Boxlee (50km), I felt that the costs of these events is getting too much; particularly so when the water stops consist of water, coke and unripened bananas! And in the case of the Marathon champs, only one water stop, used twice!

The Karkloof, which is a great event, is now R230 for late entries ( I usually enter late, as the weather has caught me out a few times, resulting in throwing money away)!

Am I being a fuddy-duddy, or does anyone else feel that these events are getting out-of-hand, cost wise?

Dean

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

Having just ridden the MTB marathon (40km) event and then the Holla Trails Boxlee (50km), I felt that the costs of these events is getting too much; particularly so when the water stops consist of water, coke and unripened bananas! And in the case of the Marathon champs, only one water stop, used twice!

The Karkloof, which is a great event, is now R230 for late entries ( I usually enter late, as the weather has caught me out a few times, resulting in throwing money away)!

Am I being a fuddy-duddy, or does anyone else feel that these events are getting out-of-hand, cost wise?

Dean

Your'e not the only one that thinks this, it is getting crazy. Most of the guys I ride with all say the same thing. You just gotta select the better races and do them. Unfortunatly Karkloof is one of the better ones and I will not pay the R230 late fee.

Do any of these events give you anyting in return, like t shirt water bottle, etc. Like they do in the argus. I find this dissapointing that the organisers dont feel the need to say thank you to the riders for doing the event

I think that market forces determine the pricing of events. If its too expensive, it would not be fully subscribed. I would rather take a well orginised event with accurate route info, smooth registration process, good routes, enough route markers and marshalls and proper medical support than save a few bucks. I also think that race orginisers should do away with late entry fees. Rather set a limit on the number of entries allowed and close registration once the number is reached. This way they are guaranteed an income and the cyclist who wish to enter late, do so at the risk that his registration would not be accepted. I also think that on the day registrations at events should be abandoned. Having to cater for hordes of riders who pitch up on the day puts the riders who paid early at a disadvantage. They are not reimbursed for having to share with more riders than what the logistics and routes can handle.

I think that market forces determine the pricing of events. If its too expensive, it would not be fully subscribed. I would rather take a well orginised event with accurate route info, smooth registration process, good routes, enough route markers and marshalls and proper medical support than save a few bucks. I also think that race orginisers should do away with late entry fees. Rather set a limit on the number of entries allowed and close registration once the number is reached. This way they are guaranteed an income and the cyclist who wish to enter late, do so at the risk that his registration would not be accepted. I also think that on the day registrations at events should be abandoned. Having to cater for hordes of riders who pitch up on the day puts the riders who paid early at a disadvantage. They are not reimbursed for having to share with more riders than what the logistics and routes can handle.

People schedules differ, so should they be excluded because of this? You've also got to remeber not everyone earns a fat salary, but they would still like to ride the odd race, again these people get exluded cause there bank balances dictate it. I'm not saying the organisers cant make a profit, just make it more reasonable. What some percieve as reasonable may not be to others. Its not an elitest sport, or is it?

Edited by Caerus

Hi everyone,

Having just ridden the MTB marathon (40km) event and then the Holla Trails Boxlee (50km), I felt that the costs of these events is getting too much

Ha ha... Yet another thing the stoooopid mtber's are adopting from the road riding world. Over-priced crap. Welcome to the ride. Enjoy.

MorewoodMad..you got some good suggestions there and I tend to agree. Doing away with late entries will make things for the organisors much easier. By allowing late/on the day enties, there are a lot of variables that cannot be predetermined, and this is why the "penalty" of a late entry fee is applicable.

I was a little shocked to hear of the late entry fee for Karkloof though...R140 for the 20k ride!

I have entered for the 40k..and was early enough to be one the lucky ones to get a riding shirt. The cost for the 40, with this added product, was still reasonable.

cant really comment on races outside kzn. We have always seen prices in the region of 110-130 for 40km events. Not sure what this year is like yet. That said, i am definitely doing less events this year. The Greytown last year was 110 without a major sponsor. No goodie bag or anything, but do you really need stuff no-one else wants.

for me best value for money every year is hill2hill. Last year was R210 (if i remember correctly) which gave you 100km of riding and nice jeep t shirt and a plentiful goodie bag of useful stuff.

People schedules differ, so should they be excluded because of this? You've also got to remeber not everyone earns a fat salary, but they would still like to ride the odd race, again these people get exluded cause there bank balances dictate it. I'm not saying the organisers cant make a profit, just make it more reasonable. What some percieve as reasonable may not be to others. Its not an elitest sport, or is it?

No its not an elitist sport. Thats why you have the Cape Epic that costs R37 000 for a team and you also have "kerk bazaar" races at R80 a ride. I do both, not because of cost considerations, but because I like riding.

Races follow a normal product life cycle. It starts off affordable, hopefully becomes sought after, the price increases allowing more races at the bottom end of the market. The higher end races has to rely on agressive marketing and having all the pro's at the event to remain sought after, all costing more money.

If races are above your budget, find the kerk bazaar races and ride those.

Regarding my comment on on-the-day entries. I enter early. I expect the orginiser to close the entries when the route and logistics are maxed out. With on the day entries, there is a real risk that the route is overly congested and that there is not enough medical and logistical support to service all the riders, putting me at risk and deminishing my experience at the cost of those who can't or won't plan ahead.

"kerk bazaar" races at R80 a ride.

Yeah, R80 for a 25km ride. The kerk is not really sticking to the spirit, are they?

Nevermind.

No its not an elitist sport. Thats why you have the Cape Epic that costs R37 000 for a team and you also have "kerk bazaar" races at R80 a ride. I do both, not because of cost considerations, but because I like riding.

Races follow a normal product life cycle. It starts off affordable, hopefully becomes sought after, the price increases allowing more races at the bottom end of the market. The higher end races has to rely on agressive marketing and having all the pro's at the event to remain sought after, all costing more money.

If races are above your budget, find the kerk bazaar races and ride those.

Regarding my comment on on-the-day entries. I enter early. I expect the orginiser to close the entries when the route and logistics are maxed out. With on the day entries, there is a real risk that the route is overly congested and that there is not enough medical and logistical support to service all the riders, putting me at risk and deminishing my experience at the cost of those who can't or won't plan ahead.

I think if there are still places to be filled on race day then fill them, obviously not having more then allowed. I like riding but should one be excluded all the times cause one can't afford it, I could afford it, but there are a hell of a lot more that can't. The problem lies when even the small races start to get expensive, cause they too will one day want to be big and exclusive.

I think if there are still places to be filled on race day then fill them, obviously not having more then allowed. I like riding but should one be excluded all the times cause one can't afford it, I could afford it, but there are a hell of a lot more that can't. The problem lies when even the small races start to get expensive, cause they too will one day want to be big and exclusive.

OK so you open up 80 late entries to fill the last slots on offer. Its a perfect day and 500 additional riders pitch up for the ride. 420 go home pissed off because they got up early, packed the bikes and gear, drove for an hour plus to the venue, only to be told that they are number 81 and therefor have to go home.

Weather is a poor excuse. We have fairly accurate forcasts 48 hours before an event. If there are still entries left, enter, otherwise give the riders who supports the event in good or bad weather the benefit.

It's the other charges that they levy on top of 'registration'.

Why do I have to pay an additional 7.5% on top of registration because the race organiser has agreed upon this figure with a logistical support company (Tour of Durban)?

Why do I have to pay a R5 CSA levy when I am already a CSA member (94.7)?

And it doesn't stop there every second race wants a donation on top of your race payments to a selected charity...

Edited by Lou Zealand

I like riding but should one be excluded all the times cause one can't afford it, I could afford it,

I can also afford lots of races, but refuse to be a part of this madness.

I can also afford lots of races, but refuse to be a part of this madness.

Which madness? :wacko:

Which madness? :wacko:

Paying R25/km (or more, usually more) to ride me bike. F&^k em. I'll just go ride, and enjoy it too.

Edit, Wait, they do it for charity? Ok, I'll donate my entry fee to a worthy cause rather.

Edited by TNT1